The latest Xcom is showing me....

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
....how big of a gaming pussy I've become over the years.

The gameplay is enjoyable and fairly addictive. The management aspect is intuitive enough, and the whole package has kept me engaged throughout. Trying to play the original a few years ago and failing even made me appreciate the tour guide, a feature I normally can't stand.

But now I've reached a point of no return. I evidently didn't do enough to keep my most badass squad members alive and I'm paying for it. On top of that my research choices flat out stunk. I was getting ready to quit and move on to something else I bought during the sale.

And then I thought to myself: What the hell, man?

Does anyone remember the days when most games (especially RPG and strategy) were hard enough that you needed an initial try just to learn the game at all? And only then you'd start again to do a real playthrough?

What happened to my gaming mojo? Quitting a fun game because it's too hard to beat the first time out?

Get off my lawn while I restart this game.

Too be fair - it was pretty frustrating to play a brilliant level, keeping my entire squad alive with some (for me) brilliant play, only to have a group of slims kill three of my best overall guys with THREE CONSECUTIVE SHOTS. Thanks, aliens. Kiss a sick monkey's wet ass.

Zorander

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2010
Sometimes it can be a matter of luck too. It took a few retries before I completed my first Classic game. My next replay was Ironman Classic and did not require any retry (lots of tense, heart-stopping moments though). Strangely with any following replays, I would lose vital member(s) before I even reach half-way game and the game quickly went downhill from there.

But yes, it is a damn great game. There are few games that can make me want to go home after work and just play the hell out of it.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Eh, I'm finding that I bounce between games quickly because I can now afford so many. It's pretty rare I actually finish a game, and it usually has to be pretty short for me to actually finish it.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
I almost pulled the trigger on x-com, but hearing about the joys of skilling up squad mates only to have them die, and if you mess up your research priorities you can paint yourself in a corner at later levels unable to progress.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
The new XCOM takes so many step backs from the original, and only really steps forwards in terms of accessibility and modern production values.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I have the original, on the epic PC Gamer demo disc that had like 10 complete free games on it. The more I look back on it, that disc was a minor miracle. How did they ever pull that off?

Anyway - now that I understand the flow of the game I'm definitely going to install it on my Win 98 laptop and give it a whirl.