The last truely great game I played...

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
When this game came out, it set the standard for how a PC game should be - and sadly I have to rate most newer games below it on terms of storyline, characters, missions, level design, replay, etc, etc.

Am I living in the past? I thought the second game stunk.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
If you loved Deus Ex, you will love Vampire: The Masquerade ? Bloodlines. RPG / FPS hybrid goodness from the three creators of the fallout series. It is powered by the half-life 2 (source engine) and you can buy it on steam or Direct2Drive now for $20.

Do not forget to apply the community patch though, it is rather buggy even with the community made bug fixes.

Even with the bugs, it is the only FPS / RPG hybrid that I played that is as good / better than Deus Ex (as far as FPS / RPG hybrids go).

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I loved the first game but only played the demo of the second. I wish more games managed to integrate an evolving story line.

I still remember talking to a friend about how if you manage to kill a guy in the beginning it would change the game later on.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
The last truly great game I myself played was Half-Life 2: Episode Two, but its linearity makes me regret the whole series. I'd like to play a Half-Life game where each time you start up a new game you could see a minimum amount of randomized things (anything ranging from different enemy spawn points, different weapons used by Combine soldiers, different enemy numbers, but nothing that negatively impact on the story-telling).

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
You can actually kill every person you encounter in the game and still finish it. You can also not kill anyone (besides the "bosses") and also finish the game. :)

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003

I think saying the 2nd one stunk is a little harsh. Of course that may have something to do with my sig, lol. But you're right. The first one is a gaming experience that many will remember. The atmosphere and multitude of ways to get anything done are something that even newer games should emulate.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
When this game came out, it set the standard for how a PC game should be - and sadly I have to rate most newer games below it on terms of storyline, characters, missions, level design, replay, etc, etc.

i liked IW
-i just didin't think of it as a "sequel" :p

DE was very good but overrated imo - there was a lot of irritating running back and forth ... and 'agreed' that VtMB is the "Deus Ex of Vampire Games" ... and very good also.

OP, what was your 2nd-last great game [pre-DE] ... and what game has since come closest to DE in your opinion?

Billyzeke

Jul 7, 2006
Deus Ex Invisible War is the only game Ive ever bought and did not finish. Thats saying a lot because I have slogged through some crappy games. I bought it for $1.99 from gogamer and still feel ripped off.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I played the demo for Invisible war and thought the interface was crap. I ended up buying the game hoping it would be a little improved - it wasn't. If they has used the same or similar interface from DE then it would have been fine.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I played the demo for Invisible war and thought the interface was crap. I ended up buying the game hoping it would be a little improved - it wasn't. If they has used the same or similar interface from DE then it would have been fine.

the interface is very "console"

aren't there some mods that change it to work much more like the original?
-i thought so :p

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
Originally posted by: apoppin
the interface is very "console"

aren't there some mods that change it to work much more like the original?
-i thought so :p

Are there? :confused:

The only DX2 mod I know of is a texture enhancement pack. The modding community for the game died before Ion Storm Austin.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003

System Shock 2 was another great game in the same league as DE. They just don't make them like they used to...

VtM - Bloodlines is definitely a great game. Don't know if I would consider it better, but it's definitely on par with Deus Ex. I will say without hesitation though, that Bloodlines is more fun and has more replayability.

DE - Invisible War was disappointing to say the least. One of the few games I quit playing out of total boredom.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Both System Shock games were very good, and scary as heck! If any game series needs to be continued, it's the System Shock series.

Dethfrumbelo

Golden Member
Nov 16, 2004
Both System Shock games were very good, and scary as heck! If any game series needs to be continued, it's the System Shock series.

Bioshock was supposed to be SS2's 'spiritual successor', but it's not even close.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Shadowknight
Originally posted by: Dethfrumbelo

Bioshock was supposed to be SS2's 'spiritual successor', but it's not even close.

I haven't played it myself, but I've heard It's not JUST like SS2, it IS SS2.

BioShock is a dumbed-down rip-off of SS2 ... along with copying parts of every other successful game since.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
The Thief games were very good too, Assassin's Creed looks it will have that kind of "feel" so that is on my short list.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Me too.
I have liked and enjoyed many games since, but my last true love was Deus Ex.

450R

Feb 22, 2005
Yep. I remember staying up late almost every night that summer playing DX on the first gaming PC I could afford, a Duron 700. Actually, it's funny this was brought up because my brother just started replaying it a few weeks ago - I was happy to hear the beep-beep of the turrets again. Brought up so many good memories.

Definitely one of a kind, although that era was full of great games. I've recently started looking at older games because it seems like the so-called "next-generation" developers have completely forgotten the basic concepts of gameplay, replayability and most importantly, FUN. I'm tired of paying $50 for shiny, normal-mapped turds.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: 450R
Yep. I remember staying up late almost every night that summer playing DX on the first gaming PC I could afford, a Duron 700. Actually, it's funny this was brought up because my brother just started replaying it a few weeks ago - I was happy to hear the beep-beep of the turrets again. Brought up so many good memories.

Definitely one of a kind, although that era was full of great games. I've recently started looking at older games because it seems like the so-called "next-generation" developers have completely forgotten the basic concepts of gameplay, replayability and most importantly, FUN. I'm tired of paying $50 for shiny, normal-mapped turds.

i made a swordsman for DE one time, but he was only effective at the end because i had the dragon's tooth + all the augs (speed, armor, regen, etc.). the beginning i played like normal. such an awesome game :D

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
Gotta agree with the OP...Deus Ex was the last game that completely drew me into its world. Bioshock came pretty close during Fort Frolic =P

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I guess I'm in the minority then if I say Dues Ex was a heaping pile of crap that had a terrible UI.
A buddy of mine bought it and was playing it right when it was released and it had no multiplayer.

Meh, I'll rate Doom, Quake, Quake2, Duke 3d, Half life, Far Cry, HL2, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Call of Duty, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, etc all much higher than Dues Ex as a First Person POV game.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn
I guess I'm in the minority then if I say Dues Ex was a heaping pile of crap that had a terrible UI.
A buddy of mine bought it and was playing it right when it was released and it had no multiplayer.

Meh, I'll rate Doom, Quake, Quake2, Duke 3d, Half life, Far Cry, HL2, Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, Call of Duty, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, etc all much higher than Dues Ex as a First Person POV game.

So you like action FPS games with no plot? Mmkay.

I'll take VtMB or DE over any of those, any day. If I want action FPS I'll play some CS/DOD Source

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: BurnItDwn

DE is single player. MP was an afterthought. DE's SP will beat *ANY* fps made. period.