THE last time I shop at EB... UPDATED

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Well, I was the first in my area (Knoxville, TN) to preorder the Unreal 2k4 Special Edition. How do I know I was the first? They told me I was.

Anyway, I preordered this thing back on 2/20 and when I went in to pick up my copy there wasn't one waiting for me. Apparently they had short shipped by 1. There was one being held behind the counter, but since that person had paid in full they were not able to sell it to me.

They seem to think that they will be able to get a copy for me still, but seeing the prices on Ebay really makes me wonder how that's possible. All the other local shops are out and my only other option is to say screw it and buy a regular version from someone else.

Anyone who works for EB have any suggestions here?

Originally posted by: FFMCobalt
What's so important about the SE version? :confused:
It's what he ordered. If you put in an order for a white Nissan 350Z and the factory shipped a blue one, would you take it? Fingolfin269 is under no responsibility to take a non-SE version of the game and is entitled to a refund for any deposit placed, if necessary.

To the OP, I don't think there's anything you can do, but keep pushing. Remember though, it might not be your store's fault.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: jumpr
It's what he ordered. If you put in an order for a white Nissan 350Z and the factory shipped a blue one, would you take it?

I'd act upset to haggle a discount and take the blue car, of course. Terrible analogy :p ;)

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
You seriously hit the nail on the head with that comment. I could really care less about the headset as I already have one that's much nicer. Of course, 2 DVD's are far superior to 8 CD's in my opinion. But overall it's all about the fact that what I ordered is not being provided. The game is still the same in both boxes but if I had wanted the normal edition I would have just bought it on release day and not bothered to preorder so as to supposedly guarantee myself a copy.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Well, I finally spoke to the store manager today. Apparently my case is a lost cause as they will be getting no other copies. Her excuse was that they would only hold a preorder game for up to 48 hours. I informed her that I was aware of this, as the person who called me about the game informed me, but I told the guy that I would be there on Saturday to pick it up. He said that would not be a problem and that they would hold on to it.

So, what else am I supposed to do?

1) If they had told me they couldn't hold it more than 48 hours I could have made a special trip to pick it up over the course of the following 48 hours.

2) I could have told them I would not be able to make it out there and would then have taken the initiative to look at places closer to home for the special edition while there was still a legitimate chance to find one on the shelves.

I was not allowed either of those options because the CSR told me he would hold it through Saturday. I'm a weird customer that feels that a corporation deserves to know why they are losing a customer, so I plan to mail them a descriptive account of the whole deal. As the previous poster stated, it's not about the specific product as much as it's about providing the service for which I paid. I plan to go get my $5 back and never return to that place just on principle alone. It's not as if EB holds a monopoly on low prices or anything.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
You seriously hit the nail on the head with that comment. I could really care less about the headset as I already have one that's much nicer. Of course, 2 DVD's are far superior to 8 CD's in my opinion. But overall it's all about the fact that what I ordered is not being provided. The game is still the same in both boxes but if I had wanted the normal edition I would have just bought it on release day and not bothered to preorder so as to supposedly guarantee myself a copy.

Could care less -> couldn't care less
And it's 6 CD's.

I think you should ask for some money off your next purchase, since they messed up.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Thanks for correcting the rant I wrote while holding a sandwich in one hand and typing with the other. :p

Rufio

Banned
Mar 18, 2003
Thanks for correcting the rant I wrote while holding a sandwich in one hand and typing with the other. :p

SUUURE
you were eating a sandwich!

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Well, I was the first in my area (Knoxville, TN) to preorder the Unreal 2k4 Special Edition. How do I know I was the first? They told me I was.

Anyway, I preordered this thing back on 2/20 and when I went in to pick up my copy there wasn't one waiting for me. Apparently they had short shipped by 1. There was one being held behind the counter, but since that person had paid in full they were not able to sell it to me.

They seem to think that they will be able to get a copy for me still, but seeing the prices on Ebay really makes me wonder how that's possible. All the other local shops are out and my only other option is to say screw it and buy a regular version from someone else.

Anyone who works for EB have any suggestions here?

Not many. Calling Customer Support may be your best option. They may be able to recall a SE from a store that hasn't sold it and send it to your location. That is, if there is a SE left that hasn't been sold.

I think this is the proper service number for you: 1-877-432-9675.

If it's not, they should be able to tell you what number to call. Make sure you have the number of the store you pre-ordered your game at handy. Cust serv should be able to look up the store you are talking about, but in case they can't it would be benificial to have the store number handy. It will be a two, three, or four digit number like 96, 196, or 2597.

At this point, I really don't think they're going to find you a copy of the SE, although you never know. Corporate finally located two copies of Steel Battalion Line of Contact for our store to finish covering its preorders.

I know it's not going to make you feel better, but the guys at your local store didn't lie to you. We have been having some preorders recently be shorted. My store, for example, had three preorders for SB:LoC. Only one arrived on release day. It took quite a bit of yelling to secure the other two.

Hope some of this information helps. Feel free to contact me here or via e-mail (mathews.5@wright.edu) if you've got any other questions I can answer.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
EB also fvcked that lady who got her stuff stolen and sold to them by the crook and refused to give it back to her. EB games will never get another dollar from me.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
EB also fvcked that lady who got her stuff stolen and sold to them by the crook and refused to give it back to her. EB games will never get another dollar from me.

In all fairness, the police sieze stolen property; individuals do not.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Terry,

I may try to give the number a call. To relieve my frustration I went ahead and PM'd the BBY ad to Wal-Mart and just bought it the regular version for $30. I was just tired of waiting on being able to actually play the game and really only wanted the SE for the dvd's and the headset. Who wouldn't for the exact same retail price as the regular version?

I did find out that it wasn't actually a short shipping issue it was actually an in-store communication issue. I used to manage a couple of Blockbuster Video stores and can completely relate to these sort of issues. However, I took great offense at the fact that the manager was basically telling me it was my fault for not picking it up in 48 hours, even though one of her employee's told me that holding my copy until Saturday would not be a problem. Blaming the customer is something that I most certainly did not do.

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Terry,

I may try to give the number a call. To relieve my frustration I went ahead and PM'd the BBY ad to Wal-Mart and just bought it the regular version for $30. I was just tired of waiting on being able to actually play the game and really only wanted the SE for the dvd's and the headset. Who wouldn't for the exact same retail price as the regular version?

I did find out that it wasn't actually a short shipping issue it was actually an in-store communication issue. I used to manage a couple of Blockbuster Video stores and can completely relate to these sort of issues. However, I took great offense at the fact that the manager was basically telling me it was my fault for not picking it up in 48 hours, even though one of her employee's told me that holding my copy until Saturday would not be a problem. Blaming the customer is something that I most certainly did not do.

Believe me, I completely understand where you're coming from. I guess maybe I didn't read what you wrote properly, from what I read the store you ordered at had x preorders and received x-1 copies. You asked for one to be held until Saturday and it wasn't. When you arrived Saturday, there was a copy available but it was for a person that full paid (you didn't).

The manager is correct that pre-orders are only held for 48 hours. It's printed on your receipt. I know that you asked the clerk to hold it longer and he agreed. I'm not defending her actions, just simply trying to explain. On something limited like UT2004SE, they should have held onto all preorders, not released them for general sale. Then again, it's her store not mine. :)

The possibility exists that everything you have been told is true. It may or may not be what happened in this case (you and I will never know), but it is possible. That manager's got a real attitude problem from what you're describing though; he/she should be fighting hard to locate you a copy. We do.

I'm sorry you had such a poor experience at that EB; we're not all like that. If you have another local EB, you might want to give them a chance before you swear off the whole company.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: TerryMathews

Yea that's true. Nothing was ever said about the police trying to confiscate it on her behalf though - from what it sounds like, they tried and that's how they found out some of it was already sold.

helpme

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2000
EB promised my brother that they had the 20$ GC offer in store for the SE edition (as it was online, when I ordered it).

They said they never said such a thing when he went to pick it up.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TerryMathews

Uh???

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Rufio

SUUURE
you were eating a sandwich!

LOL...I've never heard that terminology used for "self gratification" before :D

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
I hate EB. I try to never buy games from them, but sometimes they have the stuff you need and you just don't have a choice.

R

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
My experiences with EB have been pretty good. I got all my MIR GC's in pretty good time with no hassle.

I really love their return policy (can exchange open video game for another). And one time I lost my reciept but they still let me exchange for a different game.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
Originally posted by: jumpr
It's what he ordered. If you put in an order for a white Nissan 350Z and the factory shipped a blue one, would you take it?

I'd act upset to haggle a discount and take the blue car, of course. Terrible analogy :p ;)

spoken like a ture Ferengi

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
How about this? I preordered and purchased back in February. I got my copy of SE last Thursday, but it was scratched. I called to get a new one the same day, which they processed.

Today, the envelope to mail back my bad copy arrived, but the new game did not. I called and was told that they're out of the SE, but they'd offer me the 6 CD set for 19.99. They then suggested I call Atari to get a replacement disc.

Besides not being told they'd run out, I understand EB's side. I called Atari, and they're glad to send me a replacment, but first I have to send them my discs back, and they don't pay for shipping.

Now, I have a broken game that I paid to ship here, the seller doesn't have a replacement, and the publisher is making me pay to ship it back to get a working copy...and I haven't even used it yet.

The funniest thing is the guy from EB actually said that since I have a valid key, I should try to get a friend who has it to burn a copy of his DVD for me. Any takers? :D

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BDawg

Besides not being told they'd run out, I understand EB's side. I called Atari, and they're glad to send me a replacment, but first I have to send them my discs back, and they don't pay for shipping.

I don't understand the whole situation with the UT2004SE. Atari swears they ran out of copies of UT2004Se, yet they've got replacement DVDs available? :confused: