The Joe Biden sexual assault allegation

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
This has been hinted at before (Touchy Feely Joe sniffing hair and feeling up necks and what not) but now Tara Reade is alleging that Joe, unsolicited, put his fingers somewhere else way back in 1993.

Her current allegation:
Her original allegation from 2019: https://www.theunion.com/news/nevad...d-her-while-working-in-his-u-s-senate-office/

Mainstream Media: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/joe-biden-faces-sexual-assault-211641946.html (why is this buried in Lifestyle??)

The Intercept: https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/joe-biden-metoo-times-up/

So... what’s your take? I think she’s definitely credible. I certainly question her motivation for coming forward now (as opposed to last year when she defended Flores publicly and only told part of her own story). But I understand that coming forward with a bombshell accusation against a leading Presidential candidate isn’t an easy decision to make and that’s why so many of these stories come out decades later.

Apparently she went to TimesUp org for legal support and $ but was told they couldn’t defend her against a public candidate and lose their nonprofit status.

What kills me is that we need to hold our candidates to a higher standard than the current President (we should) but end up shooting ourselves in the foot when we do.

Does this change your support for Biden? Do you just write this off as a desperate attempt by “Bernie Bros” to undermine Biden and revive their campaign?? I’m not really sure, but I do know that if Joe Biden is still on the ballot in November, I’m voting for him.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
If she's been trying to tell her story since 1993 why is the media picking it up when Biden is knee deep in his campaign? It should have broke as soon as he announced he was running.
Or it could have broke when the metoo movement started a couple years ago. Is the media that lazy? or do they assume we the general public won't care until a certain point has been passed?

Reactions: Pohemi

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I did a quick search and could find nothing before a few days ago.

Once I can see an article dated 2018 or earlier then I'll comment. Considering all the Ukraine stuff the timing smells a little.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
I'd like to see Mr. grab em by the pussy and payoffs try to use sexual allegations in his campaign lol.

Yes you can consider this deflection, but yeah until we know more I don't have more informed comments to make.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Not that it effects the credibility of her allegation but she had a ton of posts praising Putin that she tried to delete.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
This has been hinted at before (Touchy Feely Joe sniffing hair and feeling up necks and what not) but now Tara Reade is alleging that Joe, unsolicited, put his fingers somewhere else way back in 1993.

Her current allegation:
Her original allegation from 2019: https://www.theunion.com/news/nevad...d-her-while-working-in-his-u-s-senate-office/

Mainstream Media: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/joe-biden-faces-sexual-assault-211641946.html (why is this buried in Lifestyle??)

The Intercept: https://theintercept.com/2020/03/24/joe-biden-metoo-times-up/

So... what’s your take? I think she’s definitely credible. I certainly question her motivation for coming forward now (as opposed to last year when she defended Flores publicly and only told part of her own story). But I understand that coming forward with a bombshell accusation against a leading Presidential candidate isn’t an easy decision to make and that’s why so many of these stories come out decades later.

Apparently she went to TimesUp org for legal support and $ but was told they couldn’t defend her against a public candidate and lose their nonprofit status.

What kills me is that we need to hold our candidates to a higher standard than the current President (we should) but end up shooting ourselves in the foot when we do.

Does this change your support for Biden? Do you just write this off as a desperate attempt by “Bernie Bros” to undermine Biden and revive their campaign?? I’m not really sure, but I do know that if Joe Biden is still on the ballot in November, I’m voting for him.

My honest take after spending 8 minutes reviewing

My take is that nothing about this story warrants any attention. That it does not stand up to a a basic review. That is barely worth typing this response. Also your bias is in the the first line of your post and therefore I don't think pointing out the obvious issues with the story is going to make a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meghan54 and BUTCH1

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Also your bias is in the the first line of your post and therefore I don't think pointing out the obvious issues with the story is going to make a difference.
How am I biased? I’ll admit that I didn’t support Joe in the primary, but I’m fully onboard now. I was merely pointing out that there was an earlier media focus on Joe Biden being a “handsy” guy—the Flores allegation and 7 other women and all those clips of him lurking behind women and grabbing shoulders. Do you not remember this? I thought it odd at the time but dismissed any “sexual” intent—he did this with guys too. Just thought it was a weird character trait.

But an allegation of digital rape is a whole other ball game. Would welcome you pointing out the flaws in her story. The main issue I had was that this story became a trending topic during the middle of the night—daylight hours in troll farm country. Twitter folks pushing it were obscure right-leaning and Bernie-leaning accounts. But it sounds like she tried to come out via regular channels and wasn’t supported.

Reactions: ivwshane

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How am I biased? I’ll admit that I didn’t support Joe in the primary, but I’m fully onboard now. I was merely pointing out that there was an earlier media focus on Joe Biden being a “handsy” guy—the Flores allegation and 7 other women and all those clips of him lurking behind women and grabbing shoulders. Do you not remember this? I thought it odd at the time but dismissed any “sexual” intent—he did this with guys too. Just thought it was a weird character trait.

But an allegation of digital rape is a whole other ball game. Would welcome you pointing out the flaws in her story. The main issue I had was that this story became a trending topic during the middle of the night—daylight hours in troll farm country. Twitter folks pushing it were obscure right-leaning and Bernie-leaning accounts. But it sounds like she tried to come out via regular channels and wasn’t supported.
Ever heard the phrase "leading the witness"
(Touchy Feely Joe sniffing hair and feeling up necks and what not)

Reactions: Meghan54 and Muse

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

I remember it all. I remember his 88 presidential run and have been "politically aware" of Biden throughout his Senate career. His mannerisms and behavior are a mystery to no one who is dumb enough to following politics for 30+ years.

Please don't take apathy towards your post as personal.
I honestly spent 8 minutes reviewing the story, researching the info presented along with doing date specific inquiries on relevant keywords from 1993 to 2019.

You asked for other's opinion. I gave my cold unbiased opinion and judged it not worth the effort to discuss further.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
She claims she raised the issue to some back then. I would be interested in knowing what they recall.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
She claims she raised the issue to some back then. I would be interested in knowing what they recall.

Her brother and a friend I believe—I don’t think she’d come forward if there was any chance they wouldn’t corroborate her story.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
My honest take after spending 8 minutes reviewing

My take is that nothing about this story warrants any attention. That it does not stand up to a a basic review. That is barely worth typing this response. Also your bias is in the the first line of your post and therefore I don't think pointing out the obvious issues with the story is going to make a difference.

Why is that the case? It sounds very much unverifiable, which is probably why the limited reporting. All I saw to lend credence is two people who she says she told at the time (brother and close friend). That's pretty thin, probably why the very limited reporting. The allegations are discordant with the level of misconduct demonstrated by a whole host of other interactions. That's why I'm not too compelled to make much of this without more to go on. But I don't dismiss it altogether.

Investigate, if necessary, prosecute, convict if guilty. This isn't some partisan issue.

Do we need to rehash Kavanaugh here? The criminal justice system works for an extreme minority of victims and is very bad for people suffering psychological trauma. Particularly when victims face a power/resource deficit, there is very little hope of justice and very large chance of making things worse. Of course, protecting individuals from false accusations and having greater awareness of the complexities of sexual consent are necessary. Frequently there is little or no physical evidence to settle disputes. There is obviously a need to recognize some compromise here. I am less interested in progressing some authority on where that compromise should be than ensuring our collective compromising as a society recognizes the real effects of our choices. In this particular case, if it is true, there is basically zero chance of any criminal justice happening.

Beyond that is the times we face. The country and world are in the worst possible shape right now, and choosing the better among bad options may be the most appropriate action.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Why is that the case? It sounds very much unverifiable, which is probably why the limited reporting. All I saw to lend credence is two people who she says she told at the time (brother and close friend). That's pretty thin, probably why the very limited reporting. The allegations are discordant with the level of misconduct demonstrated by a whole host of other interactions. That's why I'm not too compelled to make much of this without more to go on. But I don't dismiss it altogether.

Do we need to rehash Kavanaugh here? The criminal justice system works for an extreme minority of victims and is very bad for people suffering psychological trauma. Particularly when victims face a power/resource deficit, there is very little hope of justice and very large chance of making things worse. Of course, protecting individuals from false accusations and having greater awareness of the complexities of sexual consent are necessary. Frequently there is little or no physical evidence to settle disputes. There is obviously a need to recognize some compromise here. I am less interested in progressing some authority on where that compromise should be than ensuring our collective compromising as a society recognizes the real effects of our choices. In this particular case, if it is true, there is basically zero chance of any criminal justice happening.

Beyond that is the times we face. The country and world are in the worst possible shape right now, and choosing the better among bad options may be the most appropriate action.
That's a very responsible and thoughtful response, in my opinion, and doubtless why I hate it. Seems it always comes down to the lesser of two evils.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
She's a Sanders supporter. Just like that first "accuser" who was complaining about him touching her shoulders. Doesn't mean she isn't telling the truth. But right now I see Sander's supporters flailing around to smear Biden, throwing everything up against the wall to see what sticks. I'd be lying if I said that doesn't give me pause.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
She's a Sanders supporter. Just like that first "accuser" who was complaining about him touching her shoulders. Doesn't mean she isn't telling the truth. But right now I see Sander's supporters flailing around to smear Biden, throwing everything up against the wall to see what sticks. I'd be lying if I said that doesn't give me pause.

You are being disingenuous. She was a Warren supporter who switched to Bernie after she dropped out. Why would she support Biden?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
You are being disingenuous. She was a Warren supporter who switched to Bernie after she dropped out. Why would she support Biden?

It's not because she didn't support Biden. She's in the progressive wing of the party, just like Biden's first accuser, the shoulder woman.

I'm not being disingenuous. Right now the progressives are trying to take down Biden.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
If her story is true, then yes you are being disingenuous.

I don't track your logic. I'm not being disingenuous either way. I am saying that her bias makes it less likely, as a matter of probabilities, that her story is true. If it turns out to be true, there would be nothing for me to revise about my statement. A bias doesn't automatically make a story false. But it is is a factor that weighs on the credibility of an accuser.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't track your logic. I'm not being disingenuous either way. I am saying that her bias makes it less likely, as a matter of probabilities, that her story is true. If it turns out to be true, there would be nothing for me to revise about my statement. A bias doesn't automatically make a story false. But it is is a factor that weighs on the credibility of an accuser.

If the story is true, she has a built in reason not to support Biden. Thus her not supporting Biden does not indicate her story is false, probablistically or otherwise.