The Japanese are getting better at FPS/3rd person cover shooters

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
cover base games is more boring than regular fps...

its more realistic... maybe.. i dont know how much realism it has if you are covering behind a wall but you can still see if the enemy is still covering or is out of cover shooting

FPS has the adrenaline of being face to face without an easy to use cover...

its just a matter of taste i guess

12andy

Jan 20, 2011
its more realistic... maybe.. i dont know how much realism it has if you are covering behind a wall but you can still see if the enemy is still covering or is out of cover shooting

Not maybe, but a straight up no, rather. You pretty much nailed it with the sentence that followed.

In first-person, one must:
- release crouch key
- scan area by sweeping mouse left and right, up and down, putting your head/ torso at risk of getting hit (sounds like real life... what a coincidence)
- hit crouch key again, taking mental note of surroundings, enemy movement, etc.

Don't get me wrong: it's always nice to see the model animations via third-person, but calling it realistic is completely absurd. Not IMO, but fact.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Okay, the thing about the Mass Effect conversation system is that it too is also largely a yes/no choice that also has an explanation for whatever event is going on built into it.

Not really. You can ask people specific questions to find out more about them, make decisions, etc. It adds to plot progression and character development. I didn't see any sign of that in the BD demo.

And it largely takes place in between missions and kinda drags. Of course, generally in bioware games the conversation system is the only vaguely interesting part.

Binary Domain seems to have a conversation system that doesn't bog you down like Bioware's. You chit-chat with teammates in the middle of firefights, not during cutscenes. You can also interact with characters at like a cafe in between missions.

Yes, being able to chit-chat makes it much superior to Mass Effect. :rolleyes:

And bioware really takes itself too seriously, while this game actually looks like fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXiU6kiq_Ms

What was that about BioWare taking itself too seriously?

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
But yet they're addicted to Starcraft? :rolleyes:

-Lothar

Are you confusing Japan with Korea?

And even if you are, Starcraft doesn't glorify militaristic violence at all. Its a fun, sci-fi RTS that is rated T. Not much gore or violence at all.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Not maybe, but a straight up no, rather. You pretty much nailed it with the sentence that followed.

In first-person, one must:
- release crouch key
- scan area by sweeping mouse left and right, up and down, putting your head/ torso at risk of getting hit (sounds like real life... what a coincidence)
- hit crouch key again, taking mental note of surroundings, enemy movement, etc.

Don't get me wrong: it's always nice to see the model animations via third-person, but calling it realistic is completely absurd. Not IMO, but fact.

Exactly. This is precisely why I don't get along with third-person shooters. I also like to aim weapons...not graphical floating crosshairs.

The level of immersiveness and realism goes down the tubes when you from FPS to TPS.

One thing that annoys me in lot of modern FPS is the lack of lean control. This should be mandatory in any FPS where stealth and any sort of realistic hit damage is present.

The reason you don't see it a lot anymore is because developers are lazy. There is an interview with the dev of DeuxEx HR where the game maker basically admits that they used that lame-ass cover system because implementing lean properly was too much work.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
In just about every FPS I've played there is a little cross hairs on the screen. I'm sure you can disable it, but still, it's on there by default.

Also, it's still challenging to aim even with 3rd person crosshair. I still feel a little accomplishment when I hit a long distance target.

Meanwhile, in FPS games with like iron sights, I find that really annoying.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010

And even if you are, Starcraft doesn't glorify militaristic violence at all. Its a fun, sci-fi RTS that is rated T. Not much gore or violence at all.

yup. Starcraft parodies the Terrans as dumb hicks.

Mass Effect seems pretty serious about the whole "perfect space marine" thing. Same for Halo. The COD games feature quotes by like Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld for crying outloud.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
In just about every FPS I've played there is a little cross hairs on the screen. I'm sure you can disable it, but still, it's on there by default.

Also, it's still challenging to aim even with 3rd person crosshair. I still feel a little accomplishment when I hit a long distance target.

I enjoy shooting real guns, so you can see why I prefer to feel like I'm actually behind the gun in a game that is supposed to feel immersive.

Personal preference and all that.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
The Japanese however don't make games considering PC as first preference. They're always for consoles.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

Which Korea? :sneaky:

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
yesterday i finished Binary Domain

took me 10 hours... normal difficulty

The gameplay is generic, not very good besides boss (big robots) fights and watching the robots fall apart piece by piece accordingly to where you shot them.
The story and sequences are by far the best part (very intriguing and interesting... it got me hooked and i kept playing just to know how the story continued, instead of playing because i liked playing it haha)
There are different endings (and i wonder if different solutions to some parts) accordingly to your companions loyalty.
In normal difficulty all the upgrades for my character/companions and weapons were somewhat useless. I just upgraded all i could MY own weapon and never cared for anything else

its a 7.5/10. It had potential, but the game ended way too fast to be able to feel any kind of partnership with the companions, besides the fact that you may be switching them all the time

this game was quite a failure in sales, right? can anyone check on that? cause the end... more than an end its a introduction to a sequel (that as far as i can tell will never come?)

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
When are Americans going to get better at fighting games is what I want to know. I love fighting games but the themes are getting tired.

Microsoft didn't let rare do killer instinct 3 thays why. Plus I think most would say that arcades are dead and that is what keeps fighting games alive sometimes.

Do you even know how a gun works???????

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I always thought that Asians lacking the skills to compete with Europeans on many FPS fronts are because they lack spatial relationships and/or peripheral vision.

Probably the main reason why they aren't well adept at driving.

What are your guy's take on this?

CS was big in S Korea. I think they might prefer watching the characters in third person, and traditionally 3rd person games sold well. Also, Japan has never been big on PC gaming, and FPSs being successful on consoles is a relatively recent thing, so maybe they were a bit slow to adapt.

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
CS was big in S Korea. I think they might prefer watching the characters in third person, and traditionally 3rd person games sold well. Also, Japan has never been big on PC gaming, and FPSs being successful on consoles is a relatively recent thing, so maybe they were a bit slow to adapt.

What I find interesting is that their emphasis is on like techno gee whiz aspects, while Americans are more for gory realism. Like, Japanese shooters feel like guitar hero in many ways, while American shooters are just gory and bloody.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
What I find interesting is that their emphasis is on like techno gee whiz aspects, while Americans are more for gory realism. Like, Japanese shooters feel like guitar hero in many ways, while American shooters are just gory and bloody.

Probably a reflection on the different cultures in general. Compare a city like Tokyo or Seoul, and its like Blade Runner compared to LA, SF, NY, etc. Its a strange dichotomy in Asia...very traditional, yet ready to be technologically progressive. In some ways US culture has regressed in the last decade or so.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Microsoft didn't let rare do killer instinct 3 thays why. Plus I think most would say that arcades are dead and that is what keeps fighting games alive sometimes.

I meant good fighting games. Nobody gives a shit about a failed company who bitches because MS would rather make money on Kinect games than throw it away on a garbage fighter.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I always thought that Asians lacking the skills to compete with Europeans on many FPS fronts are because they lack spatial relationships and/or peripheral vision.

Probably the main reason why they aren't well adept at driving.

What are your guy's take on this?

:D

Just gave me an idea for a Driving game: Intersection China, high speed city driving with a FOV of 30