The issue of brain differences in the nut shell

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
I call shens. Children of women with depression have offspring with enlarged amydgalas. Other studies show conservative women are happier than their liberal counterparts. So liberal women would tend to give birth to children with enlarged amygdalas than conservative women.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I wonder about some of the definitions and the most recent Palin thread got me thinking about it. The horrid conservatives, inherently racist. They hate "them niggets". So the morally superior which identify themselves as liberal? Oh no, not them! They would never! That's so wrong, but hey there's this woman with this "retard" Down's kid and she not is one of The Enlightened, like themselves. That kid and his family are fair targets. How about some nice juicy rumor the dummy's mom is really the kid of the daughter! What a hoot! Oh it's not wrong, being spiteful and cruel is impossible because that's only a conservative thing and we never called the reject a ******.

Maybe someone can help me here. I'm a sort of mutant, a retard if you prefer, who can't understand this ideological divide as it's often displayed. I see one side and then the other make claims of how good they are and how the others are evil and I just don't get it. I see Christians spend their own money and risk safety over comfort to travel to other lands to help rebuild broken towns and lives. I see self described liberals actually doing good things, but then I see what I opened this post with. Obviously I'm not well suited to this world, where labels matter but not the real actions and intents of others. I have a problem where I see people for what they are by their deeds and not by what they claim about their ideology. Well that's my problem I suppose.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
The choice is pretty clear.

1) Do you want to follow a group of people that have sky-high expectations of government, public servants and accountability - or, at it's worst, an unknown entity to serve some unreasonable task and purpose? Where everything must be perfect and all scenarios accounted for? Unobtainable goals of making everyone happy, or accounted for?

One side of the political spectrum cooks up this unrealistic, and quite frankly a childish utopia - or, promises to strive towards a said utopia. But, there is clearly not enough money to do such a thing,.. or even the energy to upkeep such a state. Reality is that these 'standards' are detached from reality. And, said side looks like a buffoonish dreamer.

2) Or, do you want to follow a group of people that have contradictory and hypocritical goals? Where these conflicts occur, just to satisfy the need for them to constantly warn, flag and alarm danger that does not exist. Anguish & fear that is so overbearing, they lose all ability to reason and logically handle situations.

Does someone provide this side with proof? Said side responds with:
- threats
- calls for censorship
- punishment
- dismissive 'nu-uhs'
- insults

,... all because they are shown, and proven, there is no real threat or fear of what they hate.

It is simple;
Do you want to live with unrealistic buffoons, or unrealistic fear mongers?

Do you want to be lead by dreamers, or people who wish to be your worst nightmare?

Do you want to live with people who will view you as a threat because of what you do, how you represent yourself and what you stand for, or view you as a threat because of the color of your skin?

I think the choice if obvious - especially when one side clearly hates and despises humanity.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013

1) Do you want to follow a group of people that have sky-high expectations of government, public servants and accountability - or, at it's worst, an unknown entity to serve some unreasonable task and purpose? Where everything must be perfect and all scenarios accounted for? Unobtainable goals of making everyone happy, or accounted for?

One side of the political spectrum cooks up this unrealistic, and quite frankly a childish utopia - or, promises to strive towards a said utopia. But, there is clearly not enough money to do such a thing,.. or even the energy to upkeep such a state. Reality is that these 'standards' are detached from reality. And, said side looks like a buffoonish dreamer.

2) Or, do you want to follow a group of people that have contradictory and hypocritical goals? Where these conflicts occur, just to satisfy the need for them to constantly warn, flag and alarm danger that does not exist. Anguish & fear that is so overbearing, they lose all ability to reason and logically handle situations.

- threats
- calls for censorship
- punishment
- dismissive 'nu-uhs'
- insults

,... all because they are shown, and proven, there is no real threat or fear of what they hate.

It is simple;

Do you want to be lead by dreamers, or people who wish to be your worst nightmare?

Do you want to live with people who will view you as a threat because of what you do, how you represent yourself and what you stand for, or view you as a threat because of the color of your skin?

I think the choice if obvious - especially when one side clearly hates and despises humanity.

In other words, simply ask yourself, do you want a large or a small amygdala? This poster clearly gets it!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
In other words, simply ask yourself, do you want a large or a small amygdala? This poster clearly gets it!

What if, whatever you are, you simply don't believe what you are mentally biased to believe. What if you adopted an attitude of humility. What if you didn't believe in your capacity to determine what is good and what is evil, that your opinion, whatever it is, was inculcated. What if your view was radical, rejection of the ego, and non attachment to things.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
When you see me post the exact same thing over and over again, and pretty much nothing but that, then it would apply to my own posts.

I dont understand the complaining about threads people don't like, if you dont like dont read it. Why complain?

My daddy once told me.

If your pigs are at the feeding trough and the slop is gone
Dont complain to the pigs

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I wonder about some of the definitions and the most recent Palin thread got me thinking about it. The horrid conservatives, inherently racist. They hate "them niggets". So the morally superior which identify themselves as liberal? Oh no, not them! They would never! That's so wrong, but hey there's this woman with this "retard" Down's kid and she not is one of The Enlightened, like themselves. That kid and his family are fair targets. How about some nice juicy rumor the dummy's mom is really the kid of the daughter! What a hoot! Oh it's not wrong, being spiteful and cruel is impossible because that's only a conservative thing and we never called the reject a ******.

Maybe someone can help me here. I'm a sort of mutant, a retard if you prefer, who can't understand this ideological divide as it's often displayed. I see one side and then the other make claims of how good they are and how the others are evil and I just don't get it. I see Christians spend their own money and risk safety over comfort to travel to other lands to help rebuild broken towns and lives. I see self described liberals actually doing good things, but then I see what I opened this post with. Obviously I'm not well suited to this world, where labels matter but not the real actions and intents of others. I have a problem where I see people for what they are by their deeds and not by what they claim about their ideology. Well that's my problem I suppose.

I don't know what the situation you referred to above is about, the part with the ******, but I do know that all the science that shows differences between liberal and conservative thinking are relative measures, not perfect and defective, but more or less defective under certain conditions, with defective becoming advantageous in different situations.

But if you notice the reception I get from conservatives when I mention they act defective and how people typically respond to insults it shouldn't be too hard to understand why liberals can often go off the rails. Self hate is universal and caused by being put down as children, putdowns we still use as adults to try to get even for what happened to us.

I do not see your realization that liberals can react as irrationally to being insulted as anybody else as defective. The new scientific understanding we have of liberal and conservative brains hasn't been well integrated by conservatives, certainly, but also not by liberals who want to think of them as stupid rather that better adapted to an environment we no longer live in at the moment, one filled with external threats.

In order to survive on the planet en mass, we will have to see that we are all the same, a fact in my opinion, and this will mean the cessation of putting down other people as different and inferior. Because there is only a relative difference between liberals and conservatives, conservatives are the main obstacle, but liberals, with their reflexive need to put others down who do that to them, aren't far behind.

The real question to me, is whether there is any hope for conservatives, and what to do about them, because their dominant trait is denial of anything that reflects badly on the ego. This is also true of liberals but not to the same degree. With a lot of work one can reach them with reason.

Liberals try to reach conservatives via logic and reason, two things they are weaker at using. So what do you do to reach people in denial whose denial threatens the human race, who feel that the capacity to see reality for what it is, is itself fear-mongering. It's catch 22. How do we keep conservatives from driving us off a cliff when they think any talk of cliffs is liberal paranoia.

Science is useless, they are science deniers. Reason is useless. Logic is useless. Repetition of the problem doesn't work. Insults don't work. Love doesn't work. Perhaps as extinction nears more folk will wake up. But will we wake up in sufficient numbers in time? I don't know. It doesn't look too good to me. But I don't know everything so I hold to hope. It's the liberal in me, I guess.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
What if, whatever you are, you simply don't believe what you are mentally biased to believe. What if you adopted an attitude of humility. What if you didn't believe in your capacity to determine what is good and what is evil, that your opinion, whatever it is, was inculcated. What if your view was radical, rejection of the ego, and non attachment to things.

What if i told you I had a 14 inch rubber cock. Would that be something you'd be interested in?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I dont understand the complaining about threads people don't like, if you dont like dont read it. Why complain?

My daddy once told me.

If your pigs are at the feeding trough and the slop is gone
Dont complain to the pigs

He is impelled to complain because the truth is offensive to his ego. Everywhere he turns the same truth will be reflected back at him so his complaints will be endless. He is Mr. obfuscate, deny and counter-attack, kind of a wind-up toy.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

- threats
- calls for censorship
- punishment
- dismissive 'nu-uhs'
- insults

It is simple;

We all know the democrats would never play on people's fears....

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I don't know what the situation you referred to above is about, the part with the ******, but I do know that all the science that shows differences between liberal and conservative thinking are relative measures, not perfect and defective, but more or less defective under certain conditions, with defective becoming advantageous in different situations.

But if you notice the reception I get from conservatives when I mention they act defective and how people typically respond to insults it shouldn't be too hard to understand why liberals can often go off the rails. Self hate is universal and caused by being put down as children, putdowns we still use as adults to try to get even for what happened to us.

I do not see your realization that liberals can react as irrationally to being insulted as anybody else as defective. The new scientific understanding we have of liberal and conservative brains hasn't been well integrated by conservatives, certainly, but also not by liberals who want to think of them as stupid rather that better adapted to an environment we no longer live in at the moment, one filled with external threats.

In order to survive on the planet en mass, we will have to see that we are all the same, a fact in my opinion, and this will mean the cessation of putting down other people as different and inferior. Because there is only a relative difference between liberals and conservatives, conservatives are the main obstacle, but liberals, with their reflexive need to put others down who do that to them, aren't far behind.

The real question to me, is whether there is any hope for conservatives, and what to do about them, because their dominant trait is denial of anything that reflects badly on the ego. This is also true of liberals but not to the same degree. With a lot of work one can reach them with reason.

Liberals try to reach conservatives via logic and reason, two things they are weaker at using. So what do you do to reach people in denial whose denial threatens the human race, who feel that the capacity to see reality for what it is, is itself fear-mongering. It's catch 22. How do we keep conservatives from driving us off a cliff when they think any talk of cliffs is liberal paranoia.

Science is useless, they are science deniers. Reason is useless. Logic is useless. Repetition of the problem doesn't work. Insults don't work. Love doesn't work. Perhaps as extinction nears more folk will wake up. But will we wake up in sufficient numbers in time? I don't know. It doesn't look too good to me. But I don't know everything so I hold to hope. It's the liberal in me, I guess.

I suppose were looking at different aspects of humanity and what we are concerned about isn't mutually exclusive. My chief complaint is when people use their ideology to demonstrate their superiority then show how awful they are as humans. Perhaps people aren't what they claim to be or even what they think they are? No matter, my post was off topic anyway, motivated by my recollection of a cruelty to those who did them no harm, by people who think themselves better because they aren't Conservative. To be sure it goes the other way. Our Christian GWB disregarded everything Jesus taught to go after a people who did us no wrong. Hundreds of thousands dead in spite of what he should have understood by his claims. The book he should have read and understood says "By their fruit you will recognize them". Is the fruit good or bad? That matters most to me.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We all know the democrats would never play on people's fears....

The first problem with this is that you are not able to judge liberal fear because you are controlled by fear and see others as being like you.

Secondly, liberals can make appeals to fear, but unlike you, they can be better reasoned out of irrational fear.

Thirdly, these are scientific facts which you deny in knee jerk fashion because you feel such reactions make you inferior. They do, but only in an environment where the threats you see are self invented. In an environment filled with real external dangers, your reactivity can give you an edge. The greater the danger out there the greater success leaping from the frying pan becomes. When the pan is sitting on the side of a lit stove, however, you will be the one who lands in the fire with frequency.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I suppose were looking at different aspects of humanity and what we are concerned about isn't mutually exclusive. My chief complaint is when people use their ideology to demonstrate their superiority then show how awful they are as humans. Perhaps people aren't what they claim to be or even what they think they are? No matter, my post was off topic anyway, motivated by my recollection of a cruelty to those who did them no harm, by people who think themselves better because they aren't Conservative. To be sure it goes the other way. Our Christian GWB disregarded everything Jesus taught to go after a people who did us no wrong. Hundreds of thousands dead in spite of what he should have understood by his claims. The book he should have read and understood says "By their fruit you will recognize them". Is the fruit good or bad? That matters most to me.

Yes, I understand. But the fruit, while one of my favorite arguments, has its own failing. One has to be capable of judging fruit. This is why in Sufism, for example, they use the example of the touchstone or the jeweler as the capable judge. The only thing that I can think of to identify this property of judgment is sincerity. I think you have lots of that.

The need to demonstrate superiority, I believe is the result of feelings of inferiority and for which we thus feel a need to compensate. We were made to feel inferior by comparing us to others, so now we compete with them to be better. Only the humble aren't convinced they know what better is.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Only the humble aren't convinced they know what better is.

I used to know everything, but now I leave that to younger people ;)

More seriously, I am aware I am liable to err, yet there are some things I hold as absolutes. One would be the needless harm of an innocent is an evil. I don't know what Sufism would say about that, but this my belief, my choice.

That being the case, I take issue with others. See the exchange starting post 117.

To begin with I consider our war with Iraq a violation of my above stated principle. I also believe that we as a people are obliged to hold accountable those who committed such acts of war. The first part is blamed on the Right, and I do not argue the point, but then we come to the second, accountability. The self described liberal, the anti-conservative, chooses to ignore any of the consequences of the war, but goes further to argue against any investigation and to defend his prefered leader based on political considerations in prior times. One side commits the crime, the other ensures that there are no consequences. In this case I have trouble identifying someone who I can say is a worthwhile human. Perhaps you understand why I'm not impressed by what people call themselves.