Question The Intel G6400 / 4.0Ghz Pentium Love Fest thread.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Post em if you've got em! Looking forward to a sort of "back to the (new, 10th-Gen) roots (Pentium)" build. Maybe next month.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Are you going to pair it with a good board and fast ram and do some bclk with it, or is it going straight in a vanilla build?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting one (at least) of these to play with.

I owned and used a few G3258, which some of you know, was a 3.2Ghz Haswell Pentium, with an unlocked multiplier. It was also know as the "Pentium Anniversary Edition", and came in a box with a "20th Anniversary of Pentium" in a yellow banner across the bottom.

Anyways, mobo mfg's soon learned how to allow OCing those CPUs, not on a hugely-expensive "Z" mobo, but on an entry-level H81 board. They would easily reach 4.0Ghz in nearly any board that supported multiplier changes, and sometimes 4.2-4.3Ghz or higher.

So, that was the original advent of the 4Ghz Pentium, albeit overclocked. Unfortunately, it was only 2C/2T, and some AAA video games even refused to launch, on a CPU with less than 4 threads. So they became DOA for gaming.

Similar to those, the 2C/2T Skylake Pentium G4400 CPUs, could be BCLK OCed in certain (ASRock) Z170 mobos, I got mine above 4.0Ghz as well. But you couldn't use the iGPU when BCLK OCing, and they suffered from the only 2C/2T problem too.

Kaby Lake introduced the first 2C/4T Pentium, the G4560, but that was only 3.5Ghz stock, no turbo or unlocked multi, and no way (that I know of) to BCLK OC them.

Therefore, this recent release of the G6400, is basically the culmination of all of those:
Stock 4.0Ghz clock, and 2C/4T configuration. The only thing missing is AVX opcodes, which could still be a problem for gaming purposes.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Pentium 4GHz with Hyper Threading
sounds like a beast from another era.

but really, that's likely a very good CPU for web browsing for the money, well, even gaming for the most part should work out ok.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Pentium 4GHz with Hyper Threading
sounds like a beast from another era.

but really, that's likely a very good CPU for web browsing for the money, well, even gaming for the most part should work out ok.

Yeah, remember that era where Intel were stuck with CPUs that ran crazy hot, and they had to crank up their clock speeds to crazy levels to compete with AMD? Nothing like today! ;)

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Well, the 5600 still supported ECC memory for those extremely low end server builds that use the full 128GB capacity for RAM and would enjoy it. I don't see any reference to if the G6400 will or won't though (unlike previous pentiums), but the 6400E (for embedded version) specifically lists that it doesn't.

edit: looks like Comet Lake i3 no longer has ECC either...

Last edited:

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Wow, finally a Pentium with a higher clock speed than the Extreme Edition! Same core and thread count too.

Yes, somewhat ironic isn't it? ;)

Therefore, this recent release of the G6400, is basically the culmination of all of those:
Stock 4.0Ghz clock, and 2C/4T configuration. The only thing missing is AVX opcodes, which could still be a problem for gaming purposes.

...and encoding. Though I suppose Quicksync can make up for it if you don't mind the quality loss.

Besides, the SSE4.2 baseline will be with us for a long time thanks to Intel's segmentation. And Atom.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Ha, I am over it.

I can got to MC and get a i3 "true" quad core, now even with turbo for ~$63 and a board to match for another ~$55 after discount. Back when i3's were 2C/4T the pentiums felt much closer. These really low core count CPUs don't do anything for me anymore.

I did a G3258 build, easy 4 Ghz OC for my sisters Media PC. Still in use to this day, AFAIK. It was extremely slick at the time for dedicated purposes like that, especially since the AMD options were so "bad".