The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
don't kill your self with that thing. a bottle jack and some cribbing is better for a tractor.
Thanks for the warning! I have a healthy respect for these things.
Edit: Now you got me looking at tall bottle jacks. I'm not sure why I didnt think to go that route. Just went for what we always used for doing tire changes on the farm.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Got myself this stuff for Xmas.
- Topper
- 5.25" speaker upgrades
- LED speaker light kit
- LED flipper buttons
- dust cover

aHR0cHM6Ly9vLnBpbnNpZGUuY29tL2MvMWIvMDQvYzFiMDQzNzdlMzg3OWFiOTYyNTkzYTZmMDc0Mjc4YTg3OTg2N2E0MC5qcGVn

Installed it on Xmas day and loved the outcome.

aHR0cHM6Ly9vLnBpbnNpZGUuY29tLzMvNGEvZjEvMzRhZjEzOTY1NzM5NWZiM2M2YWZjNGRhMTAxNmFmMDJmOWU3NTRiMS5qcGVn

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Thanks for the warning! I have a healthy respect for these things.
Edit: Now you got me looking at tall bottle jacks. I'm not sure why I didnt think to go that route. Just went for what we always used for doing tire changes on the farm.

a hilift can be a great tool, but its very easy to topple with a high and heavy load like a tractor. I would never use one for something like that. Harbor freight bottle jacks are pretty good and you can bolt it to a 6x6 or other large chuck of wood easily to get more footing if you are not on concrete. a HI lift has its uses like pulling fence posts, t posts, lifting something that is stuck in a ditch or rut, etc.

i will be using mine to pull some old posts from an old farm shed this week, much safer with this vs the loader on the tractor. but the hilift can be very unsafe when doing something with a lot of energy up high. and dont use concrete block or bricks for cribbing, they can explode, i have had this happen.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I'm close to buying a new table saw, but having a hard time deciding between:

1) Grizzly G1023RLW for $2235 (shipping included)
2) SawStop PCS w/ 36" T-Glide for $3354 (pick up at nearest Woodcraft)

I don't necessarily want the safety feature of the SawStop (it's not a deciding factor for me), but I've read the quality is excellent. The Grizzly has great reviews and no major complaints. This will be my last table saw, so I'm having a hard time deciding whether that extra $1100 is worth it for the SawStop.

Either way, it will be by the end of the week as the Grizzly sale is ending on Friday ($200 off).

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Steelcase Gesture full leather with headrest. It will be good to have in my office once the house I'm building is complete.

ahM2WfG.jpg

Didn't "just bought". Bought it October 30th. It took a couple of months for Steelcase to make it and then deliver it to me.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Steelcase Gesture full leather with headrest. It will be good to have in my office once the house I'm building is complete.

ahM2WfG.jpg

Didn't "just bought". Bought it October 30th. It took a couple of months for Steelcase to make it and then deliver it to me.

Nice looking chair.... how is the padding in the seat-area after a few hours? I find even expensive chairs tend to feel like I'm sitting on a board once they fully compress. (of course the fact that I have relatively thin padding in that area myself may contribute to this!)

I'm in the market for a desk chair upgrade at the moment. :)

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Nice looking chair.... how is the padding in the seat-area after a few hours? I find even expensive chairs tend to feel like I'm sitting on a board once they fully compresses.

(in the market for a desk chair upgrade myself at the moment)
I've only had it for a couple of hours. The photo was taken a few minutes after taking it out of the giant box (it comes nearly fully assembled). Been sitting in it for the past hour now. It's comfortable. I can see myself sitting in it for several hours without problems. They are meant to be used for extended periods without discomfort and last many years. That's what Steelcase and Herman Miller chairs are known for.

I upgraded from an all black fabric Steelcase Leap with mesh backing. I could sit in it for long periods of time. Have had that chair for nearly 8 years. Still looks new.

If my Leap is any indication, then I'm sure this all leather Steelcase Gesture will last for many years and provide optimal support for my body. For $2K it should.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
For $2K, it should bring you a bagel and coffee in the morning o_O

I'm shopping in the $600-$800 range myself but I could see spending that much on a super-comfortable high-end desk chair considering how much use it would get.

It would have to be a REALLY nice chair though! :p

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Finally upgraded to a 4K tv. 75” bf Samsung. I’m not crazy on visual quality, but it’s weird. Everything looks so good it seems low budget. Lol. I’ll get used it I suppose. Big budget movies seem to lose their cinematic feel to me.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
After a long search, a 2016 55" OLED55C6P. Passive 4K 3D OLED. Wanted a 65", but none within a reasonable driving distance and price.
I'll have to find time and another person to help remove my 2019 Hisense 65H9F from the stand, to put this up. :p

20211225_160124.jpg

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ordered a couple FC11 18650 flashlights direct from Wurkkos (slower but cheaper than, say, Amazon).

Over 6 months ago I went on an Amazon clip-light battery powered spending spree one day, bought 6 different ones. Finally got around to checking them all out. The only ones I really like are the two 18650 battery operated ones. They have monster clips, are white, one came as a pair and the batteries are removable, a big plus. The other has 3 brightnesses, 3 color temperatures settings and is now my favorite for reading in bed. The other 2 go in my kitchen, a great addition over my sink and stove.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Been on a toothpaste kick since I read that article :^D

I needed a new tape. The Dewalt I'm using is garbage. I like Lufkin, but I thought I'd try the Komelon since it was cheap. The last one I had was trash also, but it was 33', and a different case style. I'm hoping this one works better, but I'm not really impressed with the way it looks so far. You used to be able to buy Lufkin engineer scale tapes in local stores, but they've all but disappeared. That's how I ended up with Dewalt. It was the only one available. I normally wouldn't have touched something like that. Dewalt makes electric tools, and they know fuck all about anything else. They just slap their name on some Chinese junk, and try to capitalize on brand recognition. A lot of brands do that, and it gets on my nerves.
I'm shopping for toothpaste. My dentist said anything that doesn't do tartar removal (which he said is damaging), my endodontist said stay away from whitening toothpastes, those whitening strips too, they'll weaken my enamel. I think he said he uses Colgate non-whitening (which I haven't found yet, Costco just has the whitening version).

Concerning tapes: Well, I have a couple Stanley 30', but they are monster big and heavy and I only need length infrequently. I still have some 16' from Harbor Freight. They are so annoying in that they'll stop retracting nicely and you fuck with them until you get angry and toss in a waste can. I did a Harbor Freight order a few weeks ago, finally arrived a couple days ago:

Four 12' <$2 Pittsburgh tapes, they seem decent so far, but getting them out of the plastic was kinda nuts. I used scissors and finally a Harbor Freight sheet metal shears to liberate them.

Three 4" cheap synthetic "paint" brushes (I use mainly to dust things off, never for paint), $2.41 each.

Ames DM600 multimeter, ~$23 auto-ranger (gets good reviews, has discrete test settings for 9v and 1.5v batteries, temperature sensor, zip-up case).

Centech float charger for my car's battery. $5.39. These seem to work fine, don't overcharge, are reliable. I no longer trust the $30 charge maintainer I bought from Kragen some years ago.

Found coupons for all these items.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
wireless, bluetooth earbuds. bestbuy had a set for $13, and they're supposed to be pretty damn good bang for the buck. should be nice while i'm working out.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I bought this thing last night, along with the heavy duty swivel base and a zero-clearance insert.

I'm getting my garage all wired up with a 100A subpanel and various outlets on Monday so I'll be all set for a while, which is good because now I need to let my bank account heal for a bit...

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
cool snoopy, I got a used grizzly 1023 in 2015 to finish my kitchen cabinets with. It has a few boxes of goodies with it. I have a table extension to build and a longer fence to put on.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Aldi's probably my favorite store. They may not have everything you want, but they have everything you need. I like operating within constraints. Makes things interesting, if sometimes disappointing.

Reactions: Geekbabe