The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 41 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Kids finally graduated from kid bikes so I just spent $1k on their two 27.5" mountain bikes (pretty much minimum cost for 2 decent ones). Then I had to get a 4-bike tray rack for my new trailer hitch. All in all I've spent over $2k just to keep riding bikes as a family. New hobbies are fun I guess...

And thank the gov't for the stimulus $$$...

Bike sales this spring have been crazy... everyone's into it now.

Reactions: highland145

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I picked up this bad boy. Allen & Heath Zed-14 14 channel mixer.

ZED14-large.jpg

Was planning on picking up a Mackie 1402vlz4 (because I use Mackie at work), but this thing was getting better reviews from what I researched. Got it this morning and going to set it up in my home office. Currently completely re-designing my space and this should be a nice addition.

Reactions: SKORPI0

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I ordered these keycaps, I originally wanted them when they first went into production in 2019. But my keyboard at the time didn't have a standard size bottom row layout, so the keycaps wouldn't be compatible.

However, with my keyboard I got last month, these keycaps will work, and they just announced a new production run. The only real downside is a 1 year wait period. They won't ship until late April 2022. But that's pretty normal for keycap group buys.

2021-04-10 10_07_00-Drop + MiTo SA Laser Custom Keycap Set _ Price & Reviews _ Drop and 8 more...png

Reactions: LikeLinus

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
My wife and kids wanted to go to the mall today. So after being around so many maskless assholes there (probably about only 2/3 of them were wearing one despite it still being mandatory to wear one in our state in public spaces), I decided to at least pick up a new toy.

3.jpg

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I ordered these keycaps, I originally wanted them when they first went into production in 2019. But my keyboard at the time didn't have a standard size bottom row layout, so the keycaps wouldn't be compatible.

However, with my keyboard I got last month, these keycaps will work, and they just announced a new production run. The only real downside is a 1 year wait period. They won't ship until late April 2022. But that's pretty normal for keycap group buys.

View attachment 42962
I've never ordered a keyboard from Drop, but I love that site. I've purchased 3-4 headphones from them and they are awesome. I've looked at the keyboards several times. I want one, but I don't care for the click that the mechanical keyboards make.

Nice purchase!

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I've never ordered a keyboard from Drop, but I love that site. I've purchased 3-4 headphones from them and they are awesome. I've looked at the keyboards several times. I want one, but I don't care for the click that the mechanical keyboards make.

Nice purchase!
It's not for everyone, but I personally love it. A nice stiff tactile switch and a nice thocky sound when you bottom out.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
It's not for everyone, but I personally love it. A nice stiff tactile switch and a nice thocky sound when you bottom out.
I totally get it. My son actually has one that I got for him last year. It's a fantastic keyboard and I do enjoy the tactile feel to it. Problem is that I do a lot of Teams meetings, video editing and audio. So the click can become annoying while editing and such. I envy you though, fantastic keyboard! I love that they are customizable and high quality.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I totally get it. My son actually has one that I got for him last year. It's a fantastic keyboard and I do enjoy the tactile feel to it. Problem is that I do a lot of Teams meetings, video editing and audio. So the click can become annoying while editing and such. I envy you though, fantastic keyboard! I love that they are customizable and high quality.
There are some silent options out there, but it's a lot of work to get a keyboard super quiet, lubing switch stems/springs/leafs, lubing stabilizers, clipping stabilizers, installing sound dampening foam in the case and under the spacebar, o-rings, etc.

I have no interest in that aspect of customization though, I enjoy the auditory feedback.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Psh... I can get rocks free. They truck them into my jobsites. Riprap, 52s, crusher run... I can get all kinds :^D

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I almost bought another rock but ebay decided to throw up a capcha so I couldn't log in in time. Just as well I suppose.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
So after I ordered the keyboard, it went out of stock before they shipped mine, next stock estimate was mid April, and there was "low" confidence that it would even be in stock by then. So canceled the varmilo order. Looked around to see if I could get it from china, was ~$100 over the price I was paying previously though, and at that price point i'd rather go for something that can at least be customized later easily.

So long story short, I ended up getting a Drop CTRL keyboard and some custom keycaps for it. Spent about double what I had originally planned, but ended up with a much nicer keyboard anyway.

bfSzmKF.jpg

I picked up a Drop CTRL about 2 months ago, but didn't get cool keycaps like this!

Ordered with the Halo Clears. Like them but a bit heavy; maybe i need to change how I type a bit to not bottom out. Which switches do you have in them? Looking at a few swap options.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I picked up a Drop CTRL about 2 months ago, but didn't get cool keycaps like this!

Ordered with the Halo Clears. Like them but a bit heavy; maybe i need to change how I type a bit to not bottom out. Which switches do you have in them? Looking at a few swap options.
I also have Halo Clears in mine, but I'm fine with the actuation weight.

If I were to replace i'd look at Holy Pandas or Boba U4T.

You might like the Boba U4T 62G variant as it's slightly lighter than the Halo Clears. If you wanted something slightly heavier the U4T also comes in a 68G variant.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
I also have Halo Clears in mine, but I'm fine with the actuation weight.

If I were to replace i'd look at Holy Pandas or Boba U4T.

You might like the Boba U4T 62G variant as it's slightly lighter than the Halo Clears. If you wanted something slightly heavier the U4T also comes in a 68G variant.

Yeah the tactile / actuation weight is pretty good, I just think I need to adjust my typing style to release sooner. Gets heavier after actuation, as a lot of switches do, but more so than some other switches I've used before. I know the point is to keep you from bottoming out, just need to adjust a bit!

I'll check out the Bobas.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Picked up another PoE camera for the side of the house -- 5 total now. Realistically need another out front and in the garage to have full coverage.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I just got this board in the mail today and it has to be the worst fucking light gun game I've ever played lol. It's a rare one so I was curious about it and to see if it was so bad it's good, but nope, it's just bad.