The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 39 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm very fond of Subaru as well but as good as they are I would only buy one again if I really needed AWD. (in Southern NE it's only "nice to have") Too many moving parts to deal with maintaining unless you live in real snow-country.
In Northern NE, AWD is close to awesome. Especially with my wife driving it, I will feel more relaxed on snowy days. She just doesn't have the same winter driving skills I have. I find Honda's more fun to drive than Toyota's. Toys have gone to an 'american' land cruiser style. The CRV handles like it's on rails - which I proved to my wife, somewhat to her consternation.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
In Northern NE, AWD is close to awesome. Especially with my wife driving it, I will feel more relaxed on snowy days. She just doesn't have the same winter driving skills I have. I find Honda's more fun to drive than Toyota's. Toys have gone to an 'american' land cruiser style. The CRV handles like it's on rails - which I proved to my wife, somewhat to her consternation.

When I got my first Subaru Outback (have owned 3 plus an '85 GL 4WD wagon) I can clearly recall stopping in the middle of steep icy hills just for the sheer joy of effortlessly starting right up again!

:D

Even on the highway in heavy rain AWD can really help. Makes it so you barely notice puddles or standing water pulling on the steering wheel.

The issues for me personally have nothing to do with most aspects of AWD performance its the weight, reduced gas mileage and mechanical complexity that make me think twice.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I bought a new Blue Yeti Blackout Edition microphone that was $31 off regular price.

It works great.

:)

1614708986443.png

Reactions: Kaido

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
A Sony A55 Walkman.

Partying like it's the 1985 - 1999 all over again (although this one holds more music than a tape or CD can). :p

I've wanted one of these for a while now, and it was on sale. It's much less bulky than my cell phone, so I can use this when I'm doing stuff where I don't want to carry or risk cracking the phone.

9.jpg

Reactions: BarkingGhostar

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
A Sony A55 Walkman.

Partying like it's the 1985 - 1999 all over again (although this one holds more music than a tape or CD can). :p

I've wanted one of these for a while now, and it was on sale. It's much less bulky than my cell phone, so I can use this when I'm doing stuff where I don't want to carry or risk cracking the phone.

View attachment 40516
Congrats on your gum purchase!

• Haha
Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Congrats on your gum purchase!
LOL, it was there for size reference.

However, I really like the Walkman so far (outside of the proprietary adapter). It sounds good and the menu is easy to use/navigate. I knew it had one, but it's really a pain to plug into the unit since it's thin, long, and can only go in one way (kind of like a bigger version of micro USB).

Reactions: Ajay

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Just got this in the mail. It's the second one I've seen come up for sale since I got back into the hobby late 2019.

image0.jpg

• Wow

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
macbook-2017-hero-100726395-large.jpg

Macbook 12, m5 512gb bought at a steal. Was going to get a Chromebook for writing but absolutely love this little guy (as long as you understand its limitations). The keyboard is notoriously flaky when dust/hair gets in, the first thing I did was throw on a silicon protector and I do baby it- it's thinner than I'm used to. Comes with a year warranty, the plan is to use this for 6 months then upgrade since the resale value should hold. The protector adds a nice bit of bounce to typing too, a nice side effect. A great coffee shop laptop, for about the price of a premium Chromebook I don't care if it gets stolen yet it's really speedy for daily tasks.

I gotta say, I like the new screen format, where it's taller. I didn't think I'd like it over the regular 16:9 widescreen, but in practice, 16:10 is actually really nice!

Reactions: Geekbabe
Mar 15, 2003
I gotta say, I like the new screen format, where it's taller. I didn't think I'd like it over the regular 16:9 widescreen, but in practice, 16:10 is actually really nice!

Did you pick up a 12? I knew I'd like the size but yes the aspect ratio makes it quite usable. I'm running final cut x on the M5 and couldn't be happier with it. I hope they revive it with an m1, would be such the mobile warrior for cafe 4k editing

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Did you pick up a 12? I knew I'd like the size but yes the aspect ratio makes it quite usable. I'm running final cut x on the M5 and couldn't be happier with it. I hope they revive it with an m1, would be such the mobile warrior for cafe 4k editing

Nope, just installed some software on them recently & got a chance to play with them. SUPER nice machines! In-person, that screen's aspect ratio is really nice! My wife will probably get an M1 Air this year, and that will retire our last Hackintosh 10+ years later haha.

Reactions: Geekbabe

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Bought a new pooper scooper for the dog.

Also got an ENET cable to reprogram the entertainment center and computer options of the used car I just bought.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I finally splurged on a Lunchbots snack tray. They're not cheap ($40), but they are made of out metal & have silicone dividers for moist stuff, so they should last a pretty long time:

Because there is a sub-reddit for everything, then of course there is an Adult Lunchables subreddit:

1615259380524.png

I finally gave myself permission as an adult to make awesome snack trays. I don't know why having a snack always made me feel a bit awkward, but you know what, screw it! I'm an adult & can do what I want lol. First thing I found out was that moisture travels, so my 3D Doritos (meh, btw) got soggy next to the other stuff. Hence the snack tray with dividers above & silicone inserts for stuff like strawberries, lunchmeats like salami, cheese, etc.

1615259463188.png

Also, I picked up a set of Uncrustables molds recently and they are amaaaaaaazing:

If you're not familiar with Uncrustables, they were originally a crustless, round PB&J & were pretty good for a quick snack. Now you can make them at home! (crusts can be recycled into croutons, Instapot bread pudding, etc.) Some ideas:

1. PB&J (mix it up with almond butter, raspberry jam, etc.)
2. PB, Honey, & Banana
3. Fluffernutter (PB & Marshmallow Fluff)
4. Nutella & Banana
5. Nutella & Marshmallow Fluff (ridiculously good)
6. Ham & cheese
7. Turkey & cheese
8. Grilled cheese (airfried)

I'm testing out freezing, thawing, and air-frying them. I dusted the Nutella & Fluff with powdered sugar after airfrying & they were epic:

1615259846398.png

I have decided that I don't want to have mediocre snacks ever again, so this is my life now. #snackpower

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
that looks so good....
I would definitely pay for that.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Just bought a trailer hitch so I can finally get a bike hitch and take 4 bikes out for family rides. Super excited to install it, which will be a pain in the ass removing the bumper and rear diffuser. But it's like a new toy and I can get all kinds of accessories.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
On my way out the door to buy a nicer lawn hose nozzle sprayer. A good one. In fact probably too good for stores. Probably going to have to dig around the web.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I have to ask. What is the benefit or benefits of that kb? Beside being a cool looking item.
Solid build quality and a wide selection of switches available for it without having to do the work yourself.

I could've gotten a similar full-size keyboard from Leopold with the same switch and a very plain case/keycaps for ~$130 instead of $175 that I paid.
2021-03-11 16_15_31-Leopold FC900R Two Tone White PD Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with ...png

So basically paying ~$45 for the looks.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Solid build quality and a wide selection of switches available for it without having to do the work yourself.

I could've gotten a similar full-size keyboard from Leopold with the same switch and a very plain case/keycaps for ~$130 instead of $175 that I paid.
View attachment 40941

So basically paying ~$45 for the looks.

I can hear that picture

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I bought 2 packets of Club House No Cook Freezer Jam. This way I can start making strawberry jam sooner this year.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
New panaracer gravel tires for my nicer bike.
TCL 5-series 43" for the bedroom wall
And for kicks, just came home with some future Negronis!

PXL_20210311_235910562 (Medium).jpg

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Got a new cordless drill...

IMG_20210318_085808.jpg

Cost me the princely sum of $7.50. I keep my old drill in the truck, so it's a pita when I want to make holes in the house. It also has a lot of slop in it from abuse. The handle on this is a little shorter than I'd like, but the action's silky smooth compared to the others at the shop. Looks like it spent more time beating around in a toolbox than being used.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
So after I ordered the keyboard, it went out of stock before they shipped mine, next stock estimate was mid April, and there was "low" confidence that it would even be in stock by then. So canceled the varmilo order. Looked around to see if I could get it from china, was ~$100 over the price I was paying previously though, and at that price point i'd rather go for something that can at least be customized later easily.

So long story short, I ended up getting a Drop CTRL keyboard and some custom keycaps for it. Spent about double what I had originally planned, but ended up with a much nicer keyboard anyway.

bfSzmKF.jpg