The "I just bought..." thread.

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
71OBIlzZMaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

L-Now Chinese Spin Bike

I was doing okay getting outdoors to work out during lockdown until recently when winter decided to actually show up in Connecticut.

Had been shopping for a cheap but decent spin-bike plus had a $50 Amazon gift-card then they offered me a $75 discount on this one in the midst of deliberating via a "flash-deal" so I pulled the trigger.

Total cost shipped: $342 *(inc tax)

Fingers crossed on the build-quality! (Pooboo lolol) ... I'll report back after it arrives. :)

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
1) The HP Envy x360 2 in 1 w/ AMD Ryzen and graphics. Seems like a good little laptop.
2) Logitech wireless mouse to go with laptop.
3) Face shield, large strap for my fitbit charge 4. I can now protect my charge 4, and place it on my upper arm.
4) Asics Tiger Mexico 66 in black. My favorite shoe. I have another pair.

download.jpg

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

L-Now Chinese Spin Bike

I was doing okay getting outdoors to work out during lockdown until recently when winter decided to actually show up in Connecticut.

Had been shopping for a cheap but decent spin-bike plus had a $50 Amazon gift-card then they offered me a $75 discount on this one in the midst of deliberating via a "flash-deal" so I pulled the trigger.

Fingers crossed on the build-quality! (Pooboo lolol) ... I'll report back after it arrives. :)

Don't forget to train with this awesome music. Gonna look this good?

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

L-Now Chinese Spin Bike

That is a very nice coat hanger

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
64 GB of RAM

How can there be too much RAM? That is like saying there are too many flowers. - Mother Teresa

Reactions: Geekbabe

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

Quick tip if you like oatmeal:

1. Cup of water in the pot plus the metal stand
2. Heat-safe cereal bowl, oatmeal, milk. A bit more milk than oats, as it soaks all of it up
3. Set to 10 minutes, then do a quick pressure release. Add in more milk, mix-in's, etc.

It's not that it makes it faster, so much as makes it consistently & makes it hands-free, i.e. you don't have to babysit it. So an easy automated breakfast!

Reactions: SKORPI0

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Looking for a good treadmill/clothes tree deal. Please advise!
Go to the gym.
I bought a fancy ass life cycle treadmill. and the extended warranty.

one week after the warranty died so did the treadmill.

those fuckin things cost a thousand bucks to fix.

go to the gym.

• Haha

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I just bought the new MacBook Air with the M1.

I have to say - It's VERY impressive all around. In everyday use it blows away the Razer gaming laptop I bought last year. So much snappier performance wise.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Looking for a good treadmill/clothes tree deal. Please advise!

Treadmills need to be motorized so they're usually quite a bit more of an investment then bikes plus cheap ones are especially prone to failure. In addition they take up more floor space and are more difficult to more around since they're heavier/bulkier.

OTOH most treadmills DO offer more in the way of useful laundry hanging hard-points then bikes!

;)

EDIT: Btw MY new laundry-rack is being delivered early today! :D

Mar 15, 2003
macbook-2017-hero-100726395-large.jpg

Macbook 12, m5 512gb bought at a steal. Was going to get a Chromebook for writing but absolutely love this little guy (as long as you understand its limitations). The keyboard is notoriously flaky when dust/hair gets in, the first thing I did was throw on a silicon protector and I do baby it- it's thinner than I'm used to. Comes with a year warranty, the plan is to use this for 6 months then upgrade since the resale value should hold. The protector adds a nice bit of bounce to typing too, a nice side effect. A great coffee shop laptop, for about the price of a premium Chromebook I don't care if it gets stolen yet it's really speedy for daily tasks.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

I have to say - It's VERY impressive all around. In everyday use it blows away the Razer gaming laptop I bought last year. So much snappier performance wise.

macbook-2017-hero-100726395-large.jpg

Macbook 12, m5 512gb bought at a steal. Was going to get a Chromebook for writing but absolutely love this little ah heck (as long as you understand its limitations). The keyboard is notoriously flaky, the first thing I did was throw on a silicon protector and I do baby it- it's thinner than I'm used to. The protector adds a nice bit of bounce to typing too, a nice side effect. A great coffee shop laptop, for about the price of a premium Chromebook I don't care if it gets stolen yet it's really speedy for daily tasks.

Congrats on the new toy(s)! :)

Nothing wrong with most Mac hardware it's the OS I don't like.

Mar 15, 2003
Congrats on the new toy(s)! :)

Nothing wrong with most Mac hardware it's the OS I don't like.

I'm still not used to the window management and it's been over a decade, old windows habits die hard, hahaha. Just the other day my kid's windows 10 desktop lost wifi after a system update - stuff like that just pisses me off (and when I was editing videos on windows IRQ conflicts and troubeshooting wasted time). Oh and I tried a surface and just hated it. I was making due until the screen cracked just leaving it wedged into the couch, no loss since I just hated typing anything longer than a few sentences on it. I got a cheapie now because I really want an M1 but don't NEED it, a Mac mini m1 will be the next upgrade since my desktop's EOL (got a great 10 damn years out of it though), I don't need that sorta power for a web browsing couch surfing laptop.

With the resale value factored in I think I'm going all in on apple. this phone upgrade cycle was basically free since we got nearly 75% purchase value back for our 11s (with promo of course). it's all very slick, our airplay 2 whole home audio for example kicking our prior google system in the butt (Sonos is nice too just $$$$ in comparison)

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I just bought this snow pusher. I've had the 24" one for over a year and I absolutely love it - the only thing I don't like is it's not bigger, but the 36" model should fix that!

It's perfect for getting snow off my steps and porch (composite decking, which I don't want to gouge). The poly has held up very well, even through chopping and scraping ice off the driveway.

Hopefully the 36" model makes quicker work of clearing lighter snowfalls off my driveway!

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

Which Razer laptop do you have? I have one that I bought in 2019, that I chose over the MacBook Pro. You have me thinking that I made a mistake.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Which Razer laptop do you have? I have one that I bought in 2019, that I chose over the MacBook Pro. You have me thinking that I made a mistake.

I bought the base model they were selling last year during the Summer sale for $1000. I was intrigued by the potential longer battery life of the 1060 max Q and I've always wanted a Razer.

But it hasn't been great. The battery life is absolute crap: it won't even go an hour when gaming and even with normal use it's probably around 3 hours before the battery indicator comes on. I know you're not supposed to expect much in terms of battery life from gaming laptops but a little more than 45 minutes would be nice.

The touchpad on mine is a disaster. It's finicky as hell. I'm constantly clicking on stuff accidentally and fine cursor control is annoyingly difficult.

The touchpad on the MacBook is a revelation by comparison. One of the best I've ever used. Its huge and very responsive. It just feels good to use.

The MacBook is surely the smoothest computer I've ever used when it comes to everyday tasks. Everything is basically instantaneous. And I really like the ability to log into sites with my fingerprint.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I'm still not used to the window management and it's been over a decade, old windows habits die hard, hahaha. Just the other day my kid's windows 10 desktop lost wifi after a system update - stuff like that just pisses me off (and when I was editing videos on windows IRQ conflicts and troubeshooting wasted time). Oh and I tried a surface and just hated it. I was making due until the screen cracked just leaving it wedged into the couch, no loss since I just hated typing anything longer than a few sentences on it. I got a cheapie now because I really want an M1 but don't NEED it, a Mac mini m1 will be the next upgrade since my desktop's EOL (got a great 10 damn years out of it though), I don't need that sorta power for a web browsing couch surfing laptop.

With the resale value factored in I think I'm going all in on apple. this phone upgrade cycle was basically free since we got nearly 75% purchase value back for our 11s (with promo of course). it's all very slick, our airplay 2 whole home audio for example kicking our prior google system in the butt (Sonos is nice too just $$$$ in comparison)

If you're not already familiar with it, as long as it's not an ARM Mac, you can install Windows on it using Boot Camp. So you can have Win10 as an OS on Apple hardware. Blasphemy, sure, but nice to use lol.

I was really into OSX for a long time, especially during the Hackintosh heyday, but Apple focused so much on iOS that they forgot the video editor groupies. Now I'm all-in on Premier & Davinci (which you can get on Mac), but it was so cheap to build a 64GB RAM Frankenrig with Win10 (compared to a real Mac) that I've been on the Windows side of the fence forever now. Windows 10 has evolved to be a pretty decent OS, tbh. I still prefer Windows 7 64b SP1, but Win10 64b 20H2 is pretty solid! Ever figure out the Wi-fi post-update?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Got it all put together and took a short test-ride earlier... short because my legs were not having it! (also I may need to shovel snow later ... preferably without dropping dead)

Bike itself is pretty nice and super-quiet especially considering the price-tag. The only issue (aside from my being in pathetic shape!) so far is that the thick carpeting in my apartment is causing a slight wobble. First-world problem?

May need to grab a big piece of plywood!