The Hunger Games Catching Fire Screen Rant

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Picked up The Hunger Games: Catching Fire from Amazon, having a hard time watching it with the annoying black bars. Seems they shot some part of this movie in IMAX for a better experience, but it doesn't translate well to the home screen.

Who the hell wants 40% of there screen filled with black bars, it just makes the picture that much smaller. They should have made a full screen version, not force us to watch it squinting at the picture.

Tried different aspect ratios, none of them will go to full screen. I know Amazon doesn't allow returns once you open the dvd box, but this crap is going back.

j1ncm6v28jbsp7uae3oe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Haven't heard of the movie.
How does Amazon toss them fire? Or are you saying Amazon gave them an STD called "Fire"?

nickbits

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2008
Ummm what? Were you the guy that bought full screen instead of wide screen DVDs? If so gtfo.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The hell are you talking about? Imax scenes ARE the ones that should fill your screen. This movie doesn't even have any though AFAIK. Those black bars are on every single movie. Film is not a 16:9 ratio but your screen is, so there will always be blank space. Some screens let you stretch to fill (which looks stupid) or zoom to fill (which cuts of the sides) but that's dependent on your TV.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
The Netflix blu ray switches from 2.35:1 to 16:9 about halfway through the film. Why? I don't know. Maybe they were trying to copy Christopher Nolan?

It's annoying, nonetheless. :rolleyes:

Oh, and LOL @ DVD.

fatjohnny

Sep 30, 2003
The Netflix blu ray switches from 2.35:1 to 16:9 about halfway through the film.

This. While she is riding the elevator up to the playing field, the screen slowly switches from 2.35:1 to 16:9. It's actually kind of a cool effect watching it on my 120" projection screen.

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Who the hell wants 40% of there screen filled with black bars, it just makes the picture that much smaller. They should have made a full screen version, not force us to watch it squinting at the picture.
Is this the first 2.35:1 movie you've watched on your TV? Really?

mkrohn

Apr 13, 2013
never noticed it on my downloaded copy I'm on a normal widescreen 46" Sony so it wasn't all that noticeable

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Who the hell puts a weak ass rig (or any for that matter) in their sig?

In some parts of this forum it's useful, like when people ask questions and other similar things.
Just because it's not relevant in OT doesn't mean it's not actually useful on the forum overall.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
In some parts of this forum it's useful, like when people ask questions and other similar things.
Just because it's not relevant in OT doesn't mean it's not actually useful on the forum overall.
If you built it right in the first place, you wouldn't need to reference it for tech help. :whiste:

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
What's wrong with watching movies on disc? Or did you mean "DVD", and specifically not Blu-Ray? And if you don't use discs, how would you watch something like Catching Fire?

Video on Demand from your cable co.

Stream - Amazon has it.