The Hackintosh Thread

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Have you run memtest overnight on it? Could be hardware-related. The new one auto-installs to a USB stick: (direct link)

I have not, only have 1 flash drive at the moment, since I have an ASRock I can't install the EFI bootloader how you normally do. So I'd a 2nd flash drive to do that, or wipe this one and no longer be able to boot into OSX without making the Opencore one again. I was planning to get a 2nd flash drive so I could make the ASRock bootloader thing but Memtest for 24 hours would be a wise idea.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Wow, I haven't upgraded my past rig (Asus X79 Sabertooth, i7 3930K, 32GB) from Sierra 10.12 since late 2017. It's been surprisingly running smoothly so far with al the apps I've been using.
Maybe it's time to try again for macOS Big Sur 11.1 with my current rig, with a change of GPU since the GTX 1080Ti or any later Nvidia GPU is not supported. I've been bookmarking tips on all the ways to do it and figure out how to use OpenCore.

Last edited:

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I have not, only have 1 flash drive at the moment, since I have an ASRock I can't install the EFI bootloader how you normally do. So I'd a 2nd flash drive to do that, or wipe this one and no longer be able to boot into OSX without making the Opencore one again. I was planning to get a 2nd flash drive so I could make the ASRock bootloader thing but Memtest for 24 hours would be a wise idea.

I always start with that for a few reasons:

1. Many intermittent problems are caused by memory issues. I just let it run overnight. My rule is 6 passes with zero fails.
2. Running it overnight can highlight other issues, i.e. maybe a GPU fan has an intermittent failure, overheats, and causes the machine to crash.
3. Even on a system that hasn't had any issues in the past, sometimes something will happen to fry one of the chips. Just had it happen recently on a machine that had been working for years no issue. Maybe static buildup, who knows - very rare, but worth testing for!

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I always start with that for a few reasons:

1. Many intermittent problems are caused by memory issues. I just let it run overnight. My rule is 6 passes with zero fails.
2. Running it overnight can highlight other issues, i.e. maybe a GPU fan has an intermittent failure, overheats, and causes the machine to crash.
3. Even on a system that hasn't had any issues in the past, sometimes something will happen to fry one of the chips. Just had it happen recently on a machine that had been working for years no issue. Maybe static buildup, who knows - very rare, but worth testing for!

Was a good suggestion, but I ran it for 10 hours and got no errors. Since it's a Hackintosh and my Windows never crashes, I gotta believe it's due to user error. I'm clueless what else to do to eliminate potential issues. Sucks because I really like OSX, even to the point I'm still going to use it and just deal with the lock ups. Hopefully I'll figure something out.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Anyone got this working in hyper v?
Win 11 uses hyper v for a few security things that I don't want to disable so I'm kinda stuck using Hyper V which precludes using VMware or VirtualBox.
I guess I could make a window VM, install VMware in that, then try an OsX VM! :/

Jul 27, 2020
Win 11 uses hyper v for a few security things that I don't want to disable so I'm kinda stuck using Hyper V which precludes using VMware or VirtualBox.
I thought so too but Microsoft has a solution for that. Go ahead and install VMplayer. It will ask you during setup to install some windows virtualization tool (forgot the name). Let it install that and now you don't have to worry about disabling anything.

Reactions: WelshBloke
Jul 27, 2020
I guess I could make a window VM, install VMware in that, then try an OsX VM! :/
I'm running OS Monterey in VMplayer RIGHT NOW on an i7-4770. Really surprised at the speed. It's working great (it will restart intermittently whenever you try to do something for the first time like terminal asking permission to access your Desktop folder but after restart, try the same thing and it works fine).

1668089298670.png

PM me if you are interested. I didn't know it was so easy to save on the expense of a Macbook! What I'm feeling right now is nothing short of ecstasy! :D

Reactions: WelshBloke

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I thought so too but Microsoft has a solution for that. Go ahead and install VMplayer. It will ask you during setup to install some windows virtualization tool (forgot the name). Let it install that and now you don't have to worry about disabling anything.
Cheers mate! VMware and HyperV do indeed play in the same playground now.
Thanks for that!

Reactions: igor_kavinski

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'm running OS Monterey in VMplayer RIGHT NOW on an i7-4770. Really surprised at the speed. It's working great (it will restart intermittently whenever you try to do something for the first time like terminal asking permission to access your Desktop folder but after restart, try the same thing and it works fine).

View attachment 70728

PM me if you are interested. I didn't know it was so easy to save on the expense of a Macbook! What I'm feeling right now is nothing short of ecstasy! :D
My OsX iso was corrupt and they are big downloads, I might wait until I'm back at work to download it again.
At the moment I'm making an effort to use Linux on my laptop and it's going a lot better than it used to. The fingerprint sensor and webcam don't work but that's on me (and Dell) for not buying a Linux supported laptop I guess!
I'm not a massive fan of MacOS, every other time I've used it I've hated it but I kinda feel like I should at least make a bit of an effort to be familiar with the modern versions.

Jul 27, 2020
It does work, but its very slow.
Yeah, that's the price for emulation. When I get the time, I want to try installing Opencore Hackintosh on my i7-4700HQ laptop.

I did run Hackintosh on my Core 2 Quad years ago. There was no slowdown. Didn't have an extra HDD then so had to wipe it for Windows after playing with it a couple of days.

Reactions: Kaido
Jul 27, 2020
My VMX file:

.encoding = "windows-1251"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "19"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
hpet0.present = "TRUE"
nvram = "macOS Monterey.nvram"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.powerOn = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"
displayName = "macOS Monterey"
usb.vbluetooth.startConnected = "TRUE"
smc.present = "TRUE"
smbios.restrictSerialCharset = "TRUE"
firmware = "efi"
guestOS = "darwin21-64"
board-id.reflectHost = "TRUE"
ich7m.present = "TRUE"
tools.syncTime = "FALSE"
sound.autoDetect = "TRUE"
sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"
sound.present = "TRUE"
numvcpus = "4"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "4"
memsize = "8192"
sata0.present = "TRUE"
sata0:0.fileName = "macOS Monterey.vmdk"
sata0:0.present = "TRUE"
sata0:1.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
sata0:1.fileName = "auto detect"
sata0:1.present = "TRUE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
usb_xhci.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
extendedConfigFile = "macOS Monterey.vmxf"
vmx.buildType = "release"
MemTrimRate = "0"
isolation.tools.hgfs.disable = "FALSE"
priority.grabbed = "high"
sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE"
mainMem.useNamedFile = "FALSE"
numa.autosize.cookie = "80082"
numa.autosize.vcpu.maxPerVirtualNode = "8"
uuid.bios = "56 4d db e4 0b b0 76 88-12 38 60 24 8e 5c 0d 56"
uuid.location = "56 4d db e4 0b b0 76 88-12 38 60 24 8e 5c 0d 56"
sata0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
usb.pciSlotNumber = "32"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "160"
sound.pciSlotNumber = "33"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "34"
usb_xhci.pciSlotNumber = "192"
sata0.pciSlotNumber = "35"
svga.vramSize = "268435456"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "134217728"
vmotion.checkpointSVGAPrimarySize = "268435456"
vmotion.svga.mobMaxSize = "268435456"
vmotion.svga.graphicsMemoryKB = "262144"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:5c:0d:56"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
vmci0.id = "-977986289"
monitor.phys_bits_used = "45"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
softPowerOff = "TRUE"
usb_xhci:6.speed = "2"
usb_xhci:6.present = "TRUE"
usb_xhci:6.deviceType = "hub"
usb_xhci:6.port = "6"
usb_xhci:6.parent = "-1"
usb_xhci:7.speed = "4"
usb_xhci:7.present = "TRUE"
usb_xhci:7.deviceType = "hub"
usb_xhci:7.port = "7"
usb_xhci:7.parent = "-1"
toolsInstallManager.updateCounter = "80"
tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"
vmx.scoreboard.enabled = "FALSE"
logging = "FALSE"
sata0:1.autodetect = "TRUE"
gui.lastPoweredViewMode = "fullscreen"
sata0:1.startConnected = "FALSE"
toolsInstallManager.lastInstallError = "21004"
guestInfo.detailed.data = "architecture='X86' bitness='64' buildNumber='21G217' distroName='Mac OS X' distroVersion='10.16' familyName='Darwin' kernelVersion='21.6.0'"
sharedFolder.maxNum = "1"
sharedFolder0.present = "TRUE"
workingDir = "."
ulm.disableMitigations="TRUE"
sharedFolder0.enabled = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.readAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.writeAccess = "TRUE"
sharedFolder0.hostPath = "F:\msys64\home\adnan"
sharedFolder0.guestName = "msys"
sharedFolder0.expiration = "never"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
sound.fileName = "-1"
prefvmx.minVmMemPct = "100"
vhv.allow = "TRUE"
smbios.reflectHost = "TRUE"
hw.model = "MacBookPro14,3"
smc.version = "0"
monitor.virtual_exec = hardware
monitor.virtual_mmu = hardware
checkpoint.vmState = ""
usb_xhci:4.present = "TRUE"
usb_xhci:4.deviceType = "hid"
usb_xhci:4.port = "4"
usb_xhci:4.parent = "-1"

My config.ini file in C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation :

installerDefaults.simplifiedUI = "no"
installerDefaults.autoSoftwareUpdateEnabled = "no"
installerDefaults.autoSoftwareUpdateEnabled.epoch = "9580"
installerDefaults.componentDownloadEnabled = "yes"
installerDefaults.dataCollectionEnabled = "no"
installerDefaults.dataCollectionEnabled.epoch = "9580"
mks.gl.allowBlacklistedDrivers = "TRUE"
vhv.allow = "TRUE"
prefvmx.useRecommendedLockedMemorySize = "FALSE"
prefvmx.allVMMemoryLimit = "4096"

On Windows 11 on my laptop, VMplayer is running MacOS fine without Hyper-V but for some reason, on Windows 10 on the i7-4770 PC, uninstalling Hyper-V made macOS unstable and it would reboot any time I tried to do anything with shared folders or SMB shares.