The guy who was being chased while the two news choppers collided could be charged with their deaths.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: chuckywang
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/...opter.crash/index.html

The article really only talks about this in the last sentence, and it mentions it in the caption of the picture, but is this yet another instance of people who want like to blindly assign blame to the enemy?

Good, people that run from the cops put countless lives at danger, selfish pricks. I hope that douchebag rots....

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
That's just silly. It wasn't his fault that the helicopter pilots were idiots. There could have been a water main break and the same thing could have happened, and you wouldn't blame the water main. :roll:

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Nebor
That's just silly. It wasn't his fault that the helicopter pilots were idiots. There could have been a water main break and the same thing could have happened, and you wouldn't blame the water main. :roll:

That's the way I see it. The guy deserves what he gets for running but the helicopter incident isn't his fault. Sad to say, this was statistically inevietable. When you have that many aircraft in such close proximity, eventually something like this is going to happen.

The pilots should have been paying more attention to their surroundings.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

That's the way I see it. The guy deserves what he gets for running but the helicopter incident isn't his fault. Sad to say, this was statistically inevietable. When you have that many aircraft in such close proximity, eventually something like this is going to happen.

There was an incident a few years ago here in Texas, where a state trooper was speeding to catch up to a speeding car he wanted to pull over. The trooper lost control coming over a hill, slammed into a tree @ 100mph+ and was seriously hurt. They said they wanted to charge the driver with assault a police officer, attempted murder, blah blah blah. It's all silly.

Jun 27, 2005

There was an incident a few years ago here in Texas, where a state trooper was speeding to catch up to a speeding car he wanted to pull over. The trooper lost control coming over a hill, slammed into a tree @ 100mph+ and was seriously hurt. They said they wanted to charge the driver with assault a police officer, attempted murder, blah blah blah. It's all silly.

I'm sure it depends on the situation. When I lived in Alaska a Trooper pulled a guy over and a struggle ensued. The trooper wound dying of a heart attack and the suspect was eventually convicted of his murder.

You never know how things are going to turn out when a cop dies.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

That's not silly.
It's the police officers job to catch criminals. The danger they put the police in is their responsibility. The danger they put people at the side of the road in is also their responsibility (like if they force a car to swerve to avoid them, it crashes, the occupant dies).

The criminals, however, should not be held responsible, EVER , for media deaths due to a criminal event. The media choose to be there. They put themselves in a dangerous situations and voluntarily take stupid risks but are not really doing anything to help the situation (unlike the police).

Any media involved who get injured etc shouldn't have the blame put on the criminal.
Police and innocents, they can do, since the criminal is at fault.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Lonyo

That's not silly.
It's the police officers job to catch criminals. The danger they put the police in is their responsibility. The danger they put people at the side of the road in is also their responsibility (like if they force a car to swerve to avoid them, it crashes, the occupant dies).

The criminals, however, should not be held responsible, EVER , for media deaths due to a criminal event. The media choose to be there. They put themselves in a dangerous situations and voluntarily take stupid risks but are not really doing anything to help the situation (unlike the police).

Any media involved who get injured etc shouldn't have the blame put on the criminal.
You are indubitably correct and hold the only valid view of this. If a cop dies chasing somebody, I can see (unless the cop had a weird heart condition, as posted above or maybe is historically a super sh*t driver and not safe even in a parking lot) charging them with that death but two helicopters chasing? No way! Dumb as hell.

Dman877

Platinum Member
Jan 15, 2004
Did any of you watch the "car chase" on tv? The truck they were "chasing" was doing like 20 miles an hour. Yeah he hit some parked cars but he looked more like a drunk driver than someone running from cops. Consequently, those helicopters weren't even moving that fast. The deceased pilots hold 100% of the blame for this incident.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: JD50

The article really only talks about this in the last sentence, and it mentions it in the caption of the picture, but is this yet another instance of people who want like to blindly assign blame to the enemy?

Good, people that run from the cops put countless lives at danger, selfish pricks. I hope that douchebag rots....

"Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated" !!

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

I 100% agree. While this ass deserves what he gets for what he did on the roads, he should in NO WAY be held responsible for the news copters crashing into one another. Their need to sensationalize the news caused their deaths, not this guy in the truck.

I would feel differently if 2 police copters crashed during the pursuit.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
The producers of these mindless police video shows are just as guilty as the perpetrators who flee the police. The story is always the same. Somebody flees a traffic stop, the cops go into their German Shepherd mode, and the chase is on. The sound effects are added later and the moral of the story is that the bad guys always lose.

In the real world the taxpayers see a tremendous waste of time and resources to apprehend suspects that are usually no threat. There are exceptions, of course, for kidnappers, violent escapees, etc.

These news departments at tv stations need to rethink their obsession with ratings and sensationalism.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb

That's not silly.

You are indubitably correct and hold the only valid view of this. If a cop dies chasing somebody, I can see (unless the cop had a weird heart condition, as posted above or maybe is historically a super sh*t driver and not safe even in a parking lot) charging them with that death but two helicopters chasing? No way! Dumb as hell.

I actually do agree with you guys on this, he shouldn't be charged for the deaths of the helictopter pilots, but I still think he still deserves to rot for putting so many innocent lives at danger.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

You're right, its perfectly acceptable for some innocent people to get killed just because some asshole doesn't feel like getting a speeding ticket.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

Thats pretty dumb, someone should only be charged when they are knowingly running from the Police.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

You're right, its perfectly acceptable for some innocent people to get killed just because some asshole doesn't feel like getting a speeding ticket.

You're right, its perfectly acceptable for some innocent people to get killed just because some asshole chasing him doesn't have enough common sense to know that a traffic ticket isn't a good enough reason to drive 100mph and put those ionnocent preoples lives at risk. Like some stupid cartoon where the Mountie "always gets his man". Grow up.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
That's not silly.
So by your reasoning, if I'm pulled over for a routine speeding ticket, and if as the cop is walking on the road shoulder approaching my car a reckless driver swerves and hits the cop, killing him, I should be prosecuted for murder?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I agree with JD50 that anyone who tries to out-run the cops deserves to be locked up so deeply that they have to pipe in sunshine, HOWEVER, (as I posted in the original thread on this) charging him for the deaths of the helicopter crews is ridiculous. That makes as much sense as if a news crew was standing in the street reporting on the story and got run over by a passing bus. The guy deserves what he gets for the evading charge, but this is just "collateral damage" totally unrelated to him.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
I think we should be blaming the helicopter makers. Obviously, they didn't put enough saftey measures into the choppers, and a crash here or there was inevitable.

DarkThinker

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2007
What a crock of you know what, that man deserves lots of things however being charged with the deaths of the pilots is not one of them, it was their collective decisions that led to their deaths not his, I will protest this if I have to, we can't live in a country where charges are bundled in a nice package and slammed at the guy in the spotlight just because he is hated already! Even if a cop that was chasing him did a false move and ended hitting a wall head on I don't think you would still be able to charge the man with the death of the officer, he in that case didn't take direct action to cause the cop to lose control over his vehicle, get your brains together people and don't let your emotions get in the way of justice.

ManyBeers

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2004

That's not silly.

This is correct. The media CHOSE to be there. They put themselves at risk voluntarily.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

That's not silly.

If I understand Nebor's post correctly, the guy wasn't running from the cops. He was speeding and a cop (assumably?) got him on radar and raced off to catch the guy in order to pull him over. The cop lost control of his own vehicle because he was going 100+MPH over a hill and hit a tree.

Sure if the guy would not have been speeding the cop wouldn't have had to chase after him but to charge him with attempted murder of a police officer is absurd. Doesn't sound like he attempted to murder anyone. If my neighbor and I get into a fist fight and a cop T-bones a tree on the way to our scene then you think my neighbor and I should be charged with murder or attempted murder of a police officer?? Thats absurd.

tomywishbone

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2006
From the original article:

'..."He put the entire community in danger. ... Everyone on the street was a possible victim," the prosecutor said...'

:laugh: Then charge the guy with genocide mr. prosecutor. Hell, charge him with mass murder and the use of a WMD.