The Great OT Volcano Thread.

Nov 17, 2019
Live updates: Hawaii's Mauna Loa erupts for first time since 1984

www.sfgate.com.ico
SFGate|19 minutes ago
The Hawaii Department of Transportation issued a travel advisory on Monday morning for two airports on the Big Island, where the Mauna Loa volcano is erupting. "Passengers with flights to Hilo International Airport (ITO) or the Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keahole (KOA) should check with their airline prior to heading to the airport due to the volcanic activity at Mauna Loa, ...

Volcano begins to erupt in eastern El Salvador

www.chron.com.ico
Houston Chronicle|20 minutes ago
The eruption began Sunday when the volcano launched rock and ash to areas surrounding the crater. There were no reported injuries. Civil Defense Director Luis Alonso Amaya said th ...

--------

OK, whatcha got?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
We leave for Hilo Friday, we'll get there early evening. This is concerning, but rain showers every day are forecast along with a chance of storms so that will affect our trip more probably. Our trip up Mauna Kea with a tur group has already been cancelled.
We are going to Volcanic national park to see the lava flows, they recommend bringing a headlamp because the lava is more spectacular in the dark.

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
We're going to Kona at the end of January. With our luck, something will happen with a volcano either right before we're supposed to leave for Hawaii (and not get to go/it'll get postponed) , or right after we get there. Lol

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
We're going to Kona at the end of January. With our luck, something will happen with a volcano either right before we're supposed to leave for Hawaii (and not get to go/it'll get postponed) , or right after we get there. Lol

Whoa...who is that sexy, little girl? Long time no see!

We were 't crazy about the big island. Too barren, too much raw, exposed lava, not enough tropical. We looked at houses all over the island...most had catchment water...big "No thanks," for us.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
We leave for Hilo Friday, we'll get there early evening. This is concerning, but rain showers every day are forecast along with a chance of storms so that will affect our trip more probably. Our trip up Mauna Kea with a tur group has already been cancelled.
We are going to Volcanic national park to see the lava flows, they recommend bringing a headlamp because the lava is more spectacular in the dark.
Bring respiratory devices.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006

i think rainshowers are in the hilo forecast every day of the year!

it rained every day for 3 days when i was there. i was glad to drive back over to kailua-kona haha

still, there were some times when the rain quit and it was nice out, and the vegetation around there was incredible

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
It would actually be pretty cool to get to see it erupting.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I would suppose there's a chance the whole damn island will blow up. Remote but non-zero.

Mt. Saint Helens started kinda small and turned into a huge disaster.

Says here, no chance of the island going catastrophic. But does he know what he's talking about? Don't know.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Historically the Hawaiian volcanoes don't erupt explosively.... which doesn't mean being where the lava ultimately flows will be any fun at all!

:oops:

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Bring respiratory devices.

The air quality wasn't that bad. The two chances we had to drive by the lava flows it was foggy and rainy. The best views were out of the airplane, the flight from Hilo to Honolulu they point it out, and if you're on that side of the plane it's probably the best view you will get of it. I couldn't get a decent picture due to the reflections on the window from the lighting. The guy next to me asked if he could have the window seat before the flight, I said nah. He offered me $50, and basically got in my lap anyway so he could see. I said "do you mind" and almost shut the window, but I just stuck my head in front of it so he couldn't see, he was being a pest.

We booked our trip before the eruptions, however volcano aficionados really filled up the lodging and restaurants and flights at the last minute. Some people paid 4 times what we did for flights, some people actually booked flights at night with window seats to see the lava flows, crazy. One guy we overheard paid almost 10 grand total just to see the volcano for 3 days, ouch.

Hilo is the rainiest city in the country, didn't know that until we got there. Still we got to swim with sea turtles right across the road, and snorkel etc. We got enough sun when we were in Kona anyway. The Kona coffee was super expensive, I like peaberry better anyway and it's actually cheaper on Amazon. I stopped at a coffee place in Kona, and all of their peaberry was sold out, and they wanted $18 a pound for Kona.

• Wow
Reactions: Captante and Muse