The Great Movie Car Chase Debate

Nov 17, 2019
Somebody mentioned the one under the elevated railway on another thread. Saw it ... Meh.

Then there's the one with the Mustang that everybody raves about. Fair.

I've seen a few others. But for me, the standout is in The Driver with Bruce Dern and Ryan O'Neal.

the_driver_3.jpg

Plus it has Isabelle Adjani.

driver9.jpg

Reactions: pmv

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
The Blues Brothers.

Edit: it's been a while since I watched it, but I recall liking the car chase scene(s) in Ronin with Robert DeNiro. Not sure how they compare in the history of film though.

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Ronin is definitely the longest one.

I loved how the first like 10 minutes of the car chase there is no music and hardly any dialog at all. It's just car sounds zooming around. And then after like 10 minutes some old school car chase music starts playing for the rest of it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You gotta give Tarantino a lot of credit for crafting this!

I finally saw this the other week. ...I think it's the only Tarantino movie that escape me all these years. I mean....why didn't I ever see this? It's so fricking perfect. And that chase scene is just fucking amazing

Reactions: Pohemi and Captante

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Man, I've forgotten how good that is...or rather, didn't appreciate it when I first watched that flick (maybe only 10 years ago, so before my time). I think now it's easier to look back at the legends and appreciate them, now, because not too long ago they have seemed, "dated," but now with everything being cartoons, it's easy to appreciate when people really did the work to put together sequences like that. I mean...they did that shit.

That really is amazing.

Not sure if McQueen was doing the driving--I imagine even in those days his contract wouldn't allow for the stunt driving on set--but you know he could easily be doing that work. Dude was a badass. LoL, how hard would it be to drive those monsters to the limit through SF. Holy crap.

Reactions: Pohemi and Captante