The Great Emoji Controversy!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
BREAKING NEWS as of 11:22am on 10/13/16 -- The beer icon is now implemented simply by typing ": beer :" without the spaces. We await the thanks of a grateful nation.
Perknose
Forum Director

Titillating

Assistant Community Manager
Sep 9, 2014
Just FYI, in the text edit boxes all across the forum, if you just click on the little smiley face icon, you can find the entire lineup of emojis. No need to remember each and every one :)

JjNBESh.png

Reactions: Technology Fan

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Just FYI, in the text edit boxes all across the forum, if you just click on the little smiley face icon, you can find the entire lineup of emojis. No need to remember each and every one :)
Yabbut, that's what I meant by having to mouse-over each one every time, since they didn't have text tags and they're so small and indistinct it's hard to tell many of them apart... (They actually show up larger and more clearly in your screen grab than they do in the text editing box...)

Now with the all important (imho) Old(er) School Smilies as well:
Yay!:) I still miss ":hmm:" and "^_^", but I"ll take what I can get.;)

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
:eek:

I don't have any icon libraries, so I'm playing with yours.

Too bad they're not .svg and scalable to 100x100. That would be cool. Come on technology, catch up.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
Yabbut, that's what I meant by having to mouse-over each one every time, since they didn't have text tags and they're so small and indistinct it's hard to tell many of them apart... (They actually show up larger and more clearly in your screen grab than they do in the text editing box...)
Probably not the solution you're looking for but there's this page:
https://forums.anandtech.com/help/smilies

You can't click on one of the smilies on that page to place them in your post. Would be easier if you could.
Wonder if they could make that page popup when you click on the smilies icon in the reply box, similar to the way VB had a smilies page popup?

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Probably not the solution you're looking for but there's this page:
https://forums.anandtech.com/help/smilies

You can't click on one of the smilies on that page to place them in your post. Would be easier if you could.
Wonder if they could make that page popup when you click on the smilies icon in the reply box, similar to the way VB had a smilies page popup?
Thanks, I bookmared it and it is helpful, though with the old smilies back, I doubt I'll use the new ones much anyway...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I used to like some of the emojis and used them regularly. I just had a look at the 30 or so you can choose from by clicking the emoji symbol in the menu of the edit window. They are ridiculous and connote nothing to me. I suppose one can find .gifs somewhere to insert if you're clever. Any ideas?

BREAKING NEWS as of 11:22am on 10/13/16 -- The beer icon is now implemented simply by typing ": beer :" without the spaces. We await the thanks of a grateful nation.
Perknose
Forum Director
Thank you, oh Forum Director!!! :beer:

Edit: Um, didn't seem to work. :confused:

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
:beermug:

beermug (with : before and after)works. See post #38.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
The Great Emoji Controversy!!

Round 3 ??? o_O

Must say I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of "like-emoji" selection available post-update.

EDIT: Also note that despite my having disabled "online-status" view in account-privacy seems it won't turn off?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Round 3 ??? o_O

Must say I'm a bit disappointed with the lack of "like-emoji" selection available post-update.

EDIT: Also note that despite my having disabled "online-status" view in account-privacy seems it won't turn off?
I haven't tried any of the new emojis besides thumbs-up. I'm afraid to try. Last night I spent 20 minutes trying to post anything at all and had to give up. A lot of their so called improvements are disasters from my viewpoint. They said they did it for security. Well, maybe they accomplished that, I don't know. But was it necessary to destroy good features? The last emoji update was a disaster and this one is a disaster on top of a disaster.

Um, how did you get screwy-eyes emoji? You have to go to the icon in the title bar?