The Great Emoji Controversy!!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I used to like some of the emojis and used them regularly. I just had a look at the 30 or so you can choose from by clicking the emoji symbol in the menu of the edit window. They are ridiculous and connote nothing to me. I suppose one can find .gifs somewhere to insert if you're clever. Any ideas?

BREAKING NEWS as of 11:22am on 10/13/16 -- The beer icon is now implemented simply by typing ": beer :" without the spaces. We await the thanks of a grateful nation.
Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
See, now to me (using my 15" display on my Lenovo T61) that looks stupid. Can only guess what emotion it presumably represents. Same is true with the rest except for :). But that looks kind of dumb. Now, I ain't sayin' I'm smart, but I'll be damned if I represent myself as dumb.

Reactions: Technology Fan

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012

I call that the Cartman OMG emoticon.

Nah, this forum platform is shit in general. And to think you have to pay for this software. phpBB is free and is what I use. I have added all kinds of awesome emoticons and can add new ones in 30 seconds or less. Providing they are royalty free of course.

BTW, XenForo is a word derived from the millennial/Asian language that roughly means shit in its basic form.

^^^ Mod Note: This thread was just moved from OT to here. While comments like the one highlighted above are never really welcomed anywhere on the forums, they are expressly infractable here in Tech Issues.

Going forward, no poster can respond in kind. This is your one warning.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yep, these emojis are the worst I have ever seen. It's just plain ugly.

Like John Connor said, the whole XenForo is just crap and it's eye soring.

Missed the old forum.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I'll take XenForo over an old and security compromised vB any day. FuseTalk had its merits, but it was broken, too.

Granted, the forums are never entirely fixed no matter what it's running on... always server issues.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
Yep, not only are they too small and not distinctive enough, there are wa-a-y too damned many of them and you have to mouse-over each and every one to figure out what it's supposed to be, 'cos they're - once again - too small and indistinct to even hazard a guess based on their appearance alone.. And WTLF is up with all the "cat faces"... Don't get me wrong. I like cats. A lot. Some of my favorite living beings have been cats. But cat-face emojis, on AT? Sometimes I really do wonder what the world is coming to... :D

Last edited:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'll agree that visually on a standard desktop monitor I find it difficult to tell what the individual ones are supposed to be.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
face-icon-small-confused.gif

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I call that the Cartman OMG emoticon.

Nah, this forum platform is shit in general. And to think you have to pay for this software. phpBB is free and is what I use. I have added all kinds of awesome emoticons and can add new ones in 30 seconds or less. Providing they are royalty free of course.

BTW, XenForo is a word derived from the millennial/Asian language that roughly means shit in its basic form.

Mod Note: This thread was just moved from OT to here. While comments like the one above are never really welcomed anywhere on the forums, they are expressly infractable here in Tech Issues.

Perknose
Forum Director

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Mod Note: This thread was just moved from OT to here. While comments like the one above are never really welcomed anywhere on the forums, they are expressly infractable here in Tech Issues.

Perknose
Forum Director
Perknose, you have struck me as a reasonable person. If you are really 1/2 as powerful as indicated I think you may be able to remedy our current dearth of readily accessible satisfactory emoticons on these forums. What say you ...

Perknose Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Perknose, you have struck me as a reasonable person. If you are really 1/2 as powerful as indicated I think you may be able to remedy our current dearth of readily accessible satisfactory emoticons on these forums. What say you ...

Our Purch overlords have the final say on these. I'm just the unpaid help. Believe me, I agree with you that the emoji selection sucks. In the meantime, there are also these available:

Lu4736K.png

No beer, no thumbs up, but Big Grin, baby!

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
The rolleyes in XenForo always looked to me as a sarcastic emoticon.

It shouldn't be that hard to find some creative common licensee or other emoticons and upload them. I have done this on my own forum.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Our Purch overlords have the final say on these. I'm just the unpaid help. Believe me, I agree with you that the emoji selection sucks. In the meantime, there are also these available:

Lu4736K.png

No beer, no thumbs up, but Big Grin, baby!

More from the triple secret stash presently available:

UmbKy0Q.png

gnboxA0.png

Zv4qvHO.png

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Assembled Great Unwashed!! Hear ye, hear ye!! Feel free to scour the net and put forth in this thread, with links, those icons you would wish to be included. Just know that okaying and implementing them is a process that is out of my hands and is likely to take 4 or 5 to 7,000 times longer to implement than any of us might anticipate. Such is life. Deal with it. :p