Info The GOP Is The Party Of Civil War

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

I think most people in this forum are already aware of all this, but it's stark to see it all laid out. What the hell happened to make this an acceptable mainstream party?

• Wow
Reactions: Captante and pmv

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
How does your political system recover from that?
Trump will be gone soon but he's left behind a toxic legacy in the electorate and the GOP. Thats not something that's repaired easily.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
You could point to a number of factors leaving the GOP in the sorry state it's in.

Reagan's use of abortion and other religious topics as wedge issues has made the party not only obsess over maintaining conservative Christianity, but doing so in a hypocritical way (they love inflicting suffering and death, just on certain people).

I'm still convinced 9/11 gave conservatives the notion that Republicans had a divine right to rule forever, as they were surely the only ones who could fight terrorism. Goodness knows the "Obama's a secret Muslim terrorist" freakout in 2008 was fueled in part by a mindset like that.

Tea Party conservatives' mix of knee-jerk "all government bad" libertarianism and populism certainly didn't help.

The gerrymandering and disenfranchisement of the past decade or so is a problem, too. It not only gives Republicans little incentive to change, it creates a vicious cycle where anything and everything they do to hold on to power is justified. If you've already cheated to stay in office, what's a little more cheating?

I'm sure the fear of a demographic shift drives things. On top of racism for some supporters and politicians, there's also the reality that the shift could cost Republicans in the long run as they continue to alienate most everyone who isn't a white, straight Christian. It's like a college frat holding one last, extra-long party knowing it might never have that chance again (in this case, that Republicans may lose every federal election after a certain point unless they adapt to reality).

And of course, Trump was the nail in the coffin. Truth no longer matters to devoted supporters. Open, flagrant corruption is acceptable as long as it's your corruption. Science and the free press are enemies; compassion is evil. And if you dare disagree with Dear Leader Trump, you're a pariah even if you're otherwise fiercely loyal to the party (see what's happening in Georgia as an example).

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Gotta love how much shit-talking and one-sided points of the view there is on this forum... and you're already entirely comfortable linking articles from bunghole media companies like Slate.

The loss of critical thinking skills is strong.
Would you care to provide a counter argument to the op-ed? What about the opinion is inaccurate or mischaracterized?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Gotta love how much shit-talking and one-sided points of the view there is on this forum... and you're already entirely comfortable linking articles from bunghole media companies like Slate.

n0b0dy pops into thread.

Screams at mirror, calls mirror an idiot. Claims victory.

Thanks for stopping by n0b0dy!

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004

Shut the fuck up, clown. You never had any critical thinking skills, so don't act like you could recognize it if it slapped you in your fucktard mouth.

Reactions: Meghan54

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Go on parlerwatch reddit, right wingers are openly discussing killing opponents and "stacking bodies" on Parler. Liberals need to wake up and prepare to defend ourselves and our communities.

Reactions: balloonshark

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

Please point out which part of the article is inaccurate. Which event that they list did not happen?

The reason it seems so one-sided right now is because only one side is trying to start a civil war.

Reactions: Captante and Pohemi

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Yea, this forum is full of uneducated morons with no bite and an inherent demanding instinct to follow the first and best "strong man" to stroll by.
Pathetic.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

aw, he mad.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Way to refute the linked article, Nobody. You've learned how to stay on topic from the best of them.

The guy couldn't argue his way out of a paper bag.

Meanwhile today you have the DNI saying 'we'll see if there is a Biden administration'

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Again, this video just speaks volumes and accurately describes everyone in this post...

View attachment 35182

You do realize that your supposedly intelligent retort was a sweeping, unsupported generalization that even invoked Godwin's Law, right?

Yes, reality is more complicated and nuanced than we sometimes care to admit. But your responses so far haven't amounted to more than simplistic equivocation and "look at me, I'm counterculture" posturing. Gotta put some substance and complexity behind your arguments.

For that matter, the demonstrable truth is that only one side is interested in peddling a false narrative to delegitimize the election and, in some cases, provoke violence. Any problems on the left don't change that reality.

Reactions: Pohemi

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
s0me0ne's mind1 routine...

1. I'm married to a brazilian with a phat ass so I'm not racist.
2. You all are racist.
3. I'm a tax accountant so I'm not dumb.
4. You're all dumb.
5. I preach tolerance and acceptance of nazis, murderers, racists.
6. This forum doesn't preach tolerance so they are the hateful peeps.

Seriously.. don't need to read his 17800 posts.. its literally TLDR and gimme the cliff notes at this point.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

This is generally speaking a technical forum that will attract a more scientifically trained audience that is used to evidence based critiquing of claims than you might find in a more random sampling of the American population. The people here will thus on average and in my opinion be described as more intellectual than emotional in their outlook.

I would hazard the guess that many more of the folk who come here would avoid the politics and news forum completely because partisanship looks to them like insanity.

So for these reasons and others not mentioned I see your comment that the loss of critical thinking skills is strong here to be rather reflective of the likelihood you keep confronting the fact that this is one of the forum's strengths. Far fewer than in an average population will you fine a receptiveness to your feel based truths. All those things that you just know in your gut will be dismissed out of hand. You will have better luck, say on a religious forum, where people are trained that if they don't believe without evidence they will go to hell. More people here than on average will not believe in such things and see it as a product of childhood conditioning and you will be regarded as a nut case. The facts, however, as I see them, is that you have been conditioned to conform to a line of thinking out of terror of deviation that will result in your not being loved. And since we create what we fear, you will just generate a lot of antipathy because you have this unnecessary emotional need.

Perhaps it might help if you practiced letting go. All the goodness you wish there to be in the universe is real. You don't create a better world via ideology, you die to the notion of loss and discover you have always had everything you seek.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
This is generally speaking a technical forum that will attract a more scientifically trained audience that is used to evidence based critiquing of claims than you might find in a more random sampling of the American population. The people here will thus on average and in my opinion be described as more intellectual than emotional in their outlook.

I would hazard the guess that many more of the folk who come here would avoid the politics and news forum completely because partisanship looks to them like insanity.

So for these reasons and others not mentioned I see your comment that the loss of critical thinking skills is strong here to be rather reflective of the likelihood you keep confronting the fact that this is one of the forum's strengths. Far fewer than in an average population will you fine a receptiveness to your feel based truths. All those things that you just know in your gut will be dismissed out of hand. You will have better luck, say on a religious forum, where people are trained that if they don't believe without evidence they will go to hell. More people here than on average will not believe in such things and see it as a product of childhood conditioning and you will be regarded as a nut case. The facts, however, as I see them, is that you have been conditioned to conform to a line of thinking out of terror of deviation that will result in your not being loved. And since we create what we fear, you will just generate a lot of antipathy because you have this unnecessary emotional need.

Perhaps it might help if you practiced letting go. All the goodness you wish there to be in the universe is real. You don't create a better world via ideology, you die to the notion of loss and discover you have always had everything you seek.

C'mon Moonbeam, do you ever try some self-reflection or critical thinking on your part?

You said it yourself right here.

And since we create what we fear, you will just generate a lot of antipathy because you have this unnecessary emotional need.

Leads me to point directly to the topic of this very thread....

The GOP Is The Party Of Civil War

Who is making the fear-mongering here? Who is the one spreading fear that some appeals and court cases are the equivalency of a violent civil war?

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi