Walter Scott, Jr.
Jim and Marilyn Simons
Jeff Skoll
Tom Steyer and Kat Taylor
Jim and Virginia Stowers
Ted Turner
Sanford and Joan Weill
Shelby White

What are everyone's thoughts on these filthy capitalists making a pledge like this? Wouldn't we be better off with a system that does not allow people to accumulate this much wealth? What of those who don't willingly join this group? Should we confiscate their assets for the greater good?

Someone recently said, "I do think at a certain point you've made enough money." So, would society as a whole be better off if the unbridled capitalism behind the fortunes of most of these folks was curtailed? For the betterment of society of course.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Yeah, those "evil capitalists". Without them people wouldn't have jobs as they wouldn't have any motivation to build things.

I know you miss the collective, why don't you take your fucking time machine back to 1965 and be a collective farmer in the Soviet Union.

Better yet, if you think capitalism is so evil, we can just ship you to China or Cuba to be a factory worker making .40/wk. I'm sure you'll just love helping your "comrades" out.

Tristicus

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2008
www.wallpapereuphoria.com
Yeah, those "evil capitalists". Without them people wouldn't have jobs as they wouldn't have any motivation to build things.

I know you miss the collective, why don't you take your fucking time machine back to 1965 and be a collective farmer in the Soviet Union.

Better yet, if you think capitalism is so evil, we can just ship you to China or Cuba to be a factory worker making .40/wk. I'm sure you'll just love helping your "comrades" out.

Sarcasm alert.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

Hey, ah...I guess you're not familiar with my leanings. :D

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Good for them, they are voluntarily giving some of their wealth to charities.

While I don't necessary agree with their premise "for the betterment of society" at least the government isn't forcing them to hand it over.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
I guess the problem with relying totally on people giving money is that there is no assurance that all those who need will actually get the assistance they need.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
Good for them, they are voluntarily giving some of their wealth to charities.

While I don't necessary agree with their premise "for the betterment of society" at least the government isn't forcing them to hand it over.
The person they give it to has to pay gift tax.

The Government is going to be alll along with this ride, sucking every ounce they can from the rich person.

-John

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
I guess the problem with relying totally on people giving money is that there is no assurance that all those who need will actually get the assistance they need.
No one can ever have everything they need - need is a part of the human condition.

Zorkorist

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2007
In general, people do get what they need. They just don't get what they want.

The Rolling Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.