The game of the week is The Saboteur

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The game came out in December of 09. It received good reviews, but was inundated with the release of several other great games that came out at the time. I bought the game some time in 2010. Decided to pick a new game to play in my collection and The Saboteur was it.

It's a really good game. It doesn't have any serious flaws, but some areas of the game are rough around the edges. The game has great graphics in some areas, but other areas look rather bland. Overall though, the graphics are nice. The audio is good as well. Nothing spectacular though. It's an open world game and some of the things you do in that open world can seem monotonous. Being able to climb buildings in the world seems tacked on and a feature that was added due to the popularity of Assassin's Creed. Thankfully, those aspects of the game are mostly optional. The story progression is good so far.

One of the biggest problems I found is that it does not run if you have more than 8 logical cores enabled. Took me a while to figure out that I needed to disable 4 of the 12 on my CPU in order to get the game to run.

Overall I like it and will be playing it to the end.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Found it on eBay; looks interesting. Will give it a shot -- thanks for the suggestion...

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
This is actually one of my favorite games that nobody plays.

It plays like a GTA WW2 game, with a dose of Assassin's Creed climbing and alot of destruction, and has one of the coolest graphics setups I've seen - when you are in Nazi controlled areas, everything is greyscale except for the red of Nazi flags/etc. Then there is the nude patch that makes your burlesque hideout quite distracting.

You play as a resistance fighter, blowing up literally thousands of Nazi-related assets, assassinating officers, racing, and generally causing mayhem for the Nazis. Alot of it is simply placing explosives on items like propaganda speakers, fuel dumps, and the like, but how you do it can range from climbing buildings and using ziplines to infiltrate, to bail out car bomb attacks that have the Nazis out in force, like GTA police responding.

stag3

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
yea this game rocked, i remember playing it all the way thru on my xbox 360, i almost never play games til the end on consoles hah

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
i loved this game too...it's been a while since I played it...I remember a bunch of white dots on the map....like 1000 of them and i blew em all up....every one.

Mursilis

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2001
The OP has a really good idea - a regular "Games you might have missed" feature would definitely be interesting.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I have The Saboteur on Origin, haven't played it yet though. Looks like I'll have to give it a try.

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
Saboteur.jpg

Is anyone else who's playing this with a recent Nvidia card and drivers having this problem (flickering vertical lines in characters)?

I've tried multiple tweaks to game graphics settings, to no avail. A search linked to a YouTube video of the problem, with someone there suggesting to roll back to a 2011 driver, which I don't think I can do with a Kepler card.

Frustrating.

JoetheLion

Nov 8, 2012
It really is 4 years already? Damn... I still live in a world where Warcraft 3 or Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines are relatively fresh games...

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Saboteur.jpg

Is anyone else who's playing this with a recent Nvidia card and drivers having this problem (flickering vertical lines in characters)?

I've tried multiple tweaks to game graphics settings, to no avail. A search linked to a YouTube video of the problem, with someone there suggesting to roll back to a 2011 driver, which I don't think I can do with a Kepler card.

Frustrating.

Looks like that's at the very start of the game.

Don't have that problem. Using three Titans in SLI. 320.14 drivers.

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010

Yup, first cutscene. But it keeps right on going into gameplay -- vertical line corruption running through anything that moves (your character, NPCs, etc.). None of the graphics options have any effect, nor does running in windowed mode, reducing CPU cores, any other suggestion I saw while searching.

I'm going to try it on my wife's PC tonight; 2500K, 560Ti SLI, different drivers. I might also try the 320.14 drivers here again, took them off before the game arrived.

Here's what it looks like in action (appears to be nvidia specific, and others have run into it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7UO_kzezwY

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010

Fixed the problem -- running 320.14 here now also, and the graphics issue in Saboteur is gone.

I must have had something wonky in my driver installation. I did have legacy PhysX drivers installed alongside 1031 so that I could play Frontlines: Fuel of War (which complains about not seeing Ageia drivers and won't start otherwise), but I cleaned out everything Nvidia this time, ran Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode, reinstalled just the current display and PhysX drivers, and now The Saboteur is happy. Of course I can't play Frontlines any more now :) , but just for grins I'm going to see if reinstalling the legacy PhysX drivers re-breaks Saboteur.

Mabye none of that has anything to do with it, and just trashed my drivers crashing during a benchmark run or something. Dunno. But at least I can play this game now, so it's all good.

Edit: came up with a slightly better workaround -- instead of the Nvidia legacy PhysX drivers, I tried the Ageia drivers that come with Medal of Honor: Airborne. These don't break The Saboteur, and Frontlines will work with them. Of course, this breaks Metro 2033 -- but at least now I can just back out Ageia and reinstall 9.12.1031 without completely uninstalling and reinstalling the display drivers. Still kludgy, but less kludgy at least.

Last edited:

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Fixed the problem -- running 320.14 here now also, and the graphics issue in Saboteur is gone.

I must have had something wonky in my driver installation. I did have legacy PhysX drivers installed alongside 1031 so that I could play Frontlines: Fuel of War (which complains about not seeing Ageia drivers and won't start otherwise), but I cleaned out everything Nvidia this time, ran Driver Sweeper in Safe Mode, reinstalled just the current display and PhysX drivers, and now The Saboteur is happy. Of course I can't play Frontlines any more now :) , but just for grins I'm going to see if reinstalling the legacy PhysX drivers re-breaks Saboteur.

Mabye none of that has anything to do with it, and just trashed my drivers crashing during a benchmark run or something. Dunno. But at least I can play this game now, so it's all good.

Congrats!

Now play through it and tell us what you think of it.

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
Yup, going to dig in.

As it turned out, it definitely was a problem with the legacy (pre-2.7) PhysX drivers. Reinstalled them, and broke the game again.

And not only that, just uninstalling the legacy PhysX drivers doesn't fix the problem -- I ended up having to uninstall everything completely, install an older version of the drivers (I used 310.70), and then uninstall those and reinstall 320.14 to fully clean the mess up.

So Frontlines gets shelved for a while; The Saboteur looks much more interesting now.

stahlhart

Dec 21, 2010
Well, five minutes in and I feel like I'm playing L.A. Noire again. :)

/"I wouldn't feel safe in a tank with you, Phelps!"