The Fyre Fest Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Let us know what he said!

capture-411.jpg

lol.

This thread is the first I have heard about any of this, but this is great.

Reactions: Ns1

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Ja rule is playing at a local venue soon. I should go and bring some cheese sandwiches.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
oh man, the most blistering one yet

Despite a pitch deck that promised 10,000 ticket-holders each weekend, sales were low and largely discounted. Most buyers had paid somewhere between $500 and $2,000 for their tickets, despite outlandish claims that people were purchasing ticket packages for hundreds of thousands of dollars. The target audience wasn’t elite or affluent people — it was people who wanted the lifestyle but couldn’t afford it, until Fyre Festival came along.

During that time, several former employees and one manager for artists slotted to play the festival confirmed, most people were having trouble getting paid, and those who were getting paid were getting money directly from McFarland. Payroll abruptly stopped in the Fyre Media office in October, according to one employee at the company.

“We started getting paid as wires from Billy’s account and one time [in January] we got paid in a wad of cash. They didn’t have any money. They kept paying the influencers and the models,” the employee said.

amateur hour would be a gross understatement.

https://news.vice.com/story/fyre-fe...oney-months-early-on-models-planes-and-yachts

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
it sounds like a Mark Wahlberg film.

yep.

like a real caper film (Walberg),

or even a satire/spoof type of film with a Jeffrey "Dude" Lebowski, as a rapper, bumbling his way, with his shady pals, through a hilariously failed scam.

.....actually, it would be even better with Mark Wahlberg, in that^ same kind of role, with classic David O Russell dialogue (pre-romcom serious/bullshit (Actually, American Hustle is a pretty decent model for this story)--I mean like Three Kings and I Heart Hucabees strange weirdness). I would see the shit out of that. :cool:

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
It's the classic, "we have more money than we know what to do with let's host a music festival" mistake. I see it all the time in the food business. People with no qualifications but, money opening a restaurant because they think it will be fun.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
She had a good attitude. Aside from the kinda big bucks spent(?), that looked like fun.

yup, the attitude definitely helped. cuz I would be mad as shit if I flew 3.5k miles, paid $$$$, and got fed eggos.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
yup, the attitude definitely helped. cuz I would be mad as shit if I flew 3.5k miles, paid $$$$, and got fed eggos.
and sausages! Sausages rock. I'd be pretty happy going anywhere and finding sausage on the menu.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
https://news.vice.com/story/audio-fyre-festival-founders-reveal-to-employees-nobodys-getting-paid

this just keeps getting better

On Friday, Billy McFarland, the 25-year-old founder of the disastrous Fyre Festival, told his shell-shocked employees that their paychecks covering the past two weeks would not be coming. Nor would he be firing them, a prerequisite for unemployment benefits in most states. Instead, McFarland offered to allow his dozen-or-so employees to stay on in unpaid roles, where they could work to grow the business to a place where they might get paid again.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
Never heard of this Mcfarland guy before, but he sure fucked over a lot of people and seems pretty remorseless about it.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I really hope these two, Billy Macfarland and Ja Rule end up penny less, living on the street and eating out of a garbage can.