The Fyre Fest Thread

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Suprised this story hasn't shown up.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...stponed_after_theft_chaos_ham_sandwiches.html
Screen-Shot-2017-01-10-at-11.28.39-AM.png

Rich instagram kids pay up to $12K for a weekend music festival (Blink 182!), on a private island in the Bahamas, with gourmet food, and Beach side villas, run by 90's rapper Ja Rule.

Instead its turned into Lord of the Flies!

ja-rules-fyre-fest-was-a-disaster-but-at-least-the-memes-are-great-21.jpg

FEMA style tents
Canceled acts
And cheese sandwiches

As no one has been hurt I find this pretty funny.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
My roommate is headed back from there now. He did attend he said, but made it back to Miami and is flying back to NYC now. I'll get some first hand accounts of the situation there. I'm surprised he made it out as fast as he did first of all. The media reports coming out of that place indicate it was a shit show of a clusterfuck.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
My roommate is headed back from there now. He did attend he said, but made it back to Miami and is flying back to NYC now. I'll get some first hand accounts of the situation there. I'm surprised he made it out as fast as he did first of all. The media reports coming out of that place indicate it was a shit show of a clusterfuck.
Let us know what he said!

capture-411.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
First response by the roommate via text is that yes, the whole event was shit show terrible. He basically responded yes to a statement that the show was as bad as the media has been reporting.

I should see him tomorrow.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Well according to the roommate the place was a shit show. But they did have stocked bars. They were trying to convince people to just go get drunk, even if it was 9am in the morning. He said there were pallets of booze.

They were trying to get their suitcases so they could change out of their travel clothes into, you know, beachy stuff. And couldn't acquire them. He was stuck in his travel wear sweats the whole time.

He got lucky and got on a 6 o clock flight out of there. The first one out was at 4pm. Got to Miami then flew straight to NYC.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Well according to the roommate the place was a shit show. But they did have stocked bars. They were trying to convince people to just go get drunk, even if it was 9am in the morning. He said there were pallets of booze.

They were trying to get their suitcases so they could change out of their travel clothes into, you know, beachy stuff. And couldn't acquire them. He was stuck in his travel wear sweats the whole time.

He got lucky and got on a 6 o clock flight out of there. The first one out was at 4pm. Got to Miami then flew straight to NYC.
That's a pretty expensive bar trip!

Last edited:

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Here is the ad:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...broken-bahamas-chaos-tweet-note-a7708836.html

I'm curious how he fell for that scam. Or did he finally clue in before he went and they refused refunds or something?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
which promised performances by Tyga, Desiigner, Major Lazer, Pusha T, and Blink-182

Christ, if everything went per plan it sounded like hell. I /might/ have gone if someone paid my way 100%, but I'd have just wandered off and done something interesting

Feb 25, 2011
I hope this kills the whole notion of dumping time and money into "Influencers".
Doubtful. It's entertainment. Teens today are watching twitch streams and youtube channels like us old people used to tune into their favorite TV shows. And advertising is still a thing - somebody with a million Youtube followers is basically a potential venue on par with any premium cable show, and likely way cheaper to sponsor.

Reactions: Ns1

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
12K dollar tickets for a cheese sandwich and salad. Wow. Those dudes need to be jailed.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
lol. "Fyre" Festival.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/fyre-festival-folo-1.4092137
"Purgason said he was skeptical, but went ahead with the planned vacation anyway."

https://www.fyrefestival.com/
"Then something amazing happened: venues, bands, and people started contacting us and said they’d do anything to make this festival a reality and how they wanted to help. The support from the musical community has been overwhelming and we couldn’t be more humbled or inspired by this experience. People were rooting for us after the worst day we’ve ever had as a company. After speaking with our potential partners, we have decided to add more seasoned event experts to the 2018 Fyre Festival, which will take place at a United States beach venue."

LMAO. So, proof any of those suckers got refunded?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
They screwed so many people that they are going to do it again next year! LOL

I got my 12 grand saved up for my ticket!
/s

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
hilarious

I was a computer programmer, and after computers, the two things I love most are the ocean and, for some reason, rap music. So these three hobbies of mine somehow led me to meeting my partner, Ja Rule. Together, we became friends and business partners. For us, it was always a battle of pushing the limits. Once we got flying lessons together, we got on these really bad 40-year-old planes and flew from New York to the Bahamas – not really knowing the Bahamas very well – ran out of gas and landed in the Exumas and both of us immediately fell in love.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
lol these guys are trying to run a ponzi scheme or someshit.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017...icket-holders-vip-passes-to-next-years-event/

Yesterday, the festival began sending out emails with details on how to receive a refund. The catch? Ticket holders must literally fill out a multi-page application. Not only that, but they’re presented with one hell of a Sophie’s choice in lieu of a refund:

“Would you prefer to exchange your 2017 ticket(s) for additional 2018 VIP passes, as opposed to receiving a refund? (Ex: If you purchased 3 passes for 2017 you would receive 6 total 2018 VIP passes.)”
The page then offers two options: A.) “Yes, let it ride. I’d love to support you all in creating something amazing!” or B.) “No, I’m not down for the adventure.”