The Future of PC Gaming

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
I'm sick of all the B.S. about PC gaming dying and consoles taking over the world. Just to set the record straight and help bolster PC gaming I'd like to list advances we can expect in the foreseeable future that will require powerful PCs to lead the way. Please feel free to add to the list.

1) Real Time Ray Tracing- I'll start off with this just to get the ball rolling. Photo realistic real time ray traced video games (i.e.- indistinguishable from reality) are still decades away, but we can expect a lot games to incorporate ray tracing to a lesser extent in the near future.

Probably the first really big advance in ray tracing will be the next generation ID Tech 6 gaming engine that will require some serious PC grunt. We're talking perfectly smooth curves here and endless geometric detail that makes tessellation look like a bad gimmick. Add on top of that geometry the endless variation in textures/2D images made possible by ID's megatexture technology and the only limitations are those of the artist's imagination.

2) Physics and AI- The new 8 core bulldozer and sandy bridge processors coming out will be perfect for physics and AI. These kinds of programs are difficult to optimize for games and 8 cores is a good minimum because of the innate symmetry of the equations. The next generation consoles might get by with quads thanks to their not having to run operating systems and the games being optimized for them, but PCs can lead the way again with 8 core processors that allow programmers to play more with the technology. That will mean a new generation of basic physics routines added to virtually every game made as fast as programmers can develop them. The same is likely to occur with gpu based physics as consoles adopt modern programmable graphics cards and PCs can once again lead the charge.

Last edited:

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
picard.jpg

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Neither of the things that you listed will 'save' PC gaming.

PC gaming doesn't need saving. Last year alone some 20 billion dollars worth of PC gaming hardware was sold and the number of people into PC gaming has remained steady for quite some time now. I'm not asking about what might save PC gaming, but what we can expect for the future of PC gaming.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, I was hoping that those merely interested in talking just for the sake of talking would avoid this thread. Obviously too much to hope for.

You started this thread just for the sake of talking, so how could you expect any less?

You could have done a search and found at least 5 other threads regarding this same topic, one in this forum from the same month no-less!

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The Future of PC Gaming.

I look for Valve, Gearbox and ID Software/Bethesda to take the lead in the PC gaming market.

Now that ID and Bethesda have merged, I look for some great ideas and great games to come from them. I might be wrong, but Rage looks pretty sweet.

Hopefully Duke Nukem Forever will open some minds and bring in some new ideas.

Who knows what Valve has up their sleeve. But its bound to be good.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I look for Valve, Gearbox and ID Software/Bethesda to take the lead in the PC gaming market.

Now that ID and Bethesda have merged, I look for some great ideas and great games to come from them. I might be wrong, but Rage looks pretty sweet.

Hopefully Duke Nukem Forever will open some minds and bring in some new ideas.

Who knows what Valve has up their sleeve. But its bound to be good.

Cool, never knew that. Wonder what rock i was under in 2009 to have missed that :eek:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Cool, never knew that. Wonder what rock i was under in 2009 to have missed that :eek:

Yep, I missed it to and only found out a few months ago.

The people that gave us the Fallout series, teamed up with the people that gave us Doom and Quake, working together.

Either Rage is going to be a massive hit, or a massive flop. If its a massive hit, I look for the face of pc gaming to change forever.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Gaming is about having fun. Use whatever gaming device you want, if you are having fun with it why complain.

The PC gaming is dying fad is just because so many different ways to game now from phones/handhelds/consoles, etc.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
AMD is producing the first ray traced anime feature film that will also be a video game. The idea is to have the exact same graphics in the game as in the film.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
You started this thread just for the sake of talking, so how could you expect any less?

You could have done a search and found at least 5 other threads regarding this same topic, one in this forum from the same month no-less!

Some of us here would actually like to learn something new. Does that surprise you? If so, then you've just learned something new.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011

The people that gave us the Fallout series, teamed up with the people that gave us Doom and Quake, working together.

Either Rage is going to be a massive hit, or a massive flop. If its a massive hit, I look for the face of pc gaming to change forever.

It's the engine that interests me most. Supposedly it has impressive draw distances, virtually unlimited textures, and can run on anything from an iphone to a PC while looking great. Whether Rage is a hit or not the ID Tech 5 engine can be used to produce other games and with the move towards portable PC gaming I imagine it will be used for other games.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Some of us here would actually like to learn something new. Does that surprise you? If so, then you've just learned something new.

Yes, but you could have have added to one of the other countless (actually 5ish, so not countless I spose :p ) threads instead of starting your own ;)

In any case...

I'm excited for the future of PC gaming. A lot of new technologies that won't easily be implemented into consoles will hopefully start giving developers reasons to put PC gamers first again.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's the engine that interests me most. Supposedly it has impressive draw distances, virtually unlimited textures, and can run on anything from an iphone to a PC while looking great. Whether Rage is a hit or not the ID Tech 5 engine can be used to produce other games and with the move towards portable PC gaming I imagine it will be used for other games.

Agreed. Although a lot of it seems to have been under wraps, what has been seen seems very promising. My hope is that it's put to good use (i.e. games worth playing).

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007

Bethesda did not give you the Fallout series. They developed the Elder Scrolls series though. Blackisle Studios developed the Fallout series.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
If Microsoft and Sony would release PS4 and Xbox 360 it would save PC gaming. Why? Because with temporarily equalized or nearly equalized hardware, developers could program games the same way for all 3 platforms for a couple of years.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
The future of PC gaming are indie games and casual games.

Nah. Rumor has it Intel already has managed to piggy back 1gb vram onto an ivy bridge chip for roughly the bandwidth of a radeon 5770 in a single chip. Indie and casual games are going to look about as exciting to people as pong does to us now.