The Fury Nano Thread

Feb 19, 2009
Since the other thread got crapped all over in the main VCG, I'm posting this one in the AMD section in hope of avoiding a repeat.

This is to discuss the upcoming Nano, with sources from various places, but they draw from official decks from AMD, so take it with a grain of salt. If you have more info/sources, feel free to contribute.

Qoepw6R.jpg

xOFgp5r.jpg

3lqkIqj.jpg

Some of Zlatan's (PS4 dev) quotes on Nano:

Because I've tested one at my friends office. And also saw the specs. It's a Fury X with a little lower core clock. I'm pretty sure there will be some leaks in the coming days.

They can't sell the Nano at too low price because the card is extremely fast. Much faster than an ASUS GTX 970 Mini, and the performance is not far from a Fury X. Nano will beat the normal Fury, so I'm pretty sure it will be higher priced ... $600 or more. If we just judge the raw performance $619 should be a reasonable price, but the 175 watt TDP can increase this.

I don't know anything about the pricing. I'm just saw the specs and the performance, and from that I think they will sell it at a really high price, $600+. But $559 is the minimum, because the normal Fury is much slower than Nano.

It has higher core clock. Much higher with four numbers not just three in MHz. I can't say more.

Note that he said this before the most recent leaks from official AMD slides, before that, we all thought Fury Nano would be 850Mhz!

The cooling seems to be well thought out, with a heatpipe over the VRM area:

AMD-Radeon-R9-Nano-PCB1.jpg

So it seems AMD has gone for full premium mode and the rumored price is >$600.

Is the efficiency & form factor worth the price compared to Fury X? Hmm...

Mar 10, 2006
USD 649 price confirmed. Thats just retarded pricing. :thumbsdown:

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-n...fiji-gpu-4-gb-hbm-performance-faster-gtx-980/

Expect serious supply shortage and even further price gouging. AMD is not going to make any money this year and will continue to bleed both market share and cash in Q3 and Q4 2015.

It's a full Fiji chip, so I'm not surprised that they're charging Fury X-level prices.

That said, I don't think this will be a particularly good seller.

Feb 19, 2009
It's a full Fiji chip, so I'm not surprised that they're charging Fury X-level prices.

That said, I don't think this will be a particularly good seller.

Most likely horrible volumes so if they sell it for less, Newegg will just jack up the prices cos it'll be out of supply regardless.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
LOL. $649? ok.... AMD. This is some Nvidia Titan pricing stupidity. It might actually be worst. Way to go, AMD. Man, just keep on digging.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
LOL. $649? ok.... AMD. This is some Nvidia Titan pricing stupidity. It might actually be worst. Way to go, AMD. Man, just keep on digging.

Seriously I think AMD Fiji's production costs are quite high and supply is likely constrained as HBM is a new technology and just ramping. Fiji is an underwhelming product. So AMD knows pretty much they have no chance against the outstanding custom 980 Ti cards. Thats the reason for them to put out the Nano. Find niche segements where Nvidia does not have a competitive product and just sell at the maximum prices possible. Since supply is going to be heavily constrained and this is going to be a highly binned low volume SKU they will sell through whatever they produce. But overall AMD will keep losing market share across all price points. :thumbsdown:

I think if Nvidia wanted they can release a heavily binned low leakage GTX 980 mini ITX version and toy further with AMD. This is a pathetic state of the GPU industry with one dominant company firing on all cylinders and the other company sick, non competitive and completely clueless about how to gain back market share (or maybe AMD know there is not a chance to gain share till next gen FINFET products)

Last edited:

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
This is a contradiction is it not?

The pricing is retarded from the point of the average GPU enthusiast and consumer who wants to see AMD gain back market share and the GPU industry return to a healthy duopoly. With this pricing AMD is indirectly saying that Nano is a heavily binned low volume premium SKU and that its going to serve a niche low volume market. Overall Nvidia will keep gaining market share and AMD will keep getting weaker with this product stack and pricing. The vast majority of enthusiasts are going to gobble up custom GTX 980 Ti cards or custom GTX 980 or custom GTX 970. AMD is going to just further keep falling into this abyss they have created for themselves. Look out for further losses and restructuring actions. :thumbsdown:

SimianR

Mar 10, 2011
I honestly feel like the whole AMD GPU line needs different pricing. Something like this ->

AMD R9 390 - $329 (leave as is)
AMD R9 390X - $399
AMD R9 Fury - $449
AMD R9 Nano - $499 (if the comments above about its performance being close or even above the Fury are true)
AMD R9 Fury X - $599

Feb 19, 2009
I honestly feel like the whole AMD line needs different pricing. Something like this ->

AMD R9 390X - $399
AMD R9 Fury - $449
AMD R9 Nano - $499 (if the comments above about its performance being close or even above the Fury are true)
AMD R9 Fury X - $599

Agreed.
Ideally if supply is there to meet sales:

Fury X $599
Nano $549
Fury $499
390X $399
390 $329

Unfortunately for them, with Fury X still sold out in a lot of etailers here and abroad, it seems volume is gimped. So they can't lower prices.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
I honestly feel like the whole AMD GPU line needs different pricing. Something like this ->

AMD R9 390X - $399
AMD R9 Fury - $449
AMD R9 Fury X - $549

there corrected. But we all know we can only dream of such pricing. AMD is making sure they make the most money out of the pathetic supply volume they have. Moreover R9 Nano is a strategy to avoid confronting head on the custom 980 Ti cards. Fury X is not having much success. So it make sense to sell Fiji GPUs as R9 Nano as they serve a niche market and the consumer might actually pay that price.

Feb 19, 2009
there corrected. But we all know we can only dream of such pricing. AMD is making sure they make the most money out of the pathetic supply volume they have. Moreover R9 Nano is a strategy to avoid confronting head on the custom 980 Ti cards. Fury X is not having much success. So it make sense to sell Fiji GPUs as R9 Nano as they serve a niche market and the consumer might actually pay that price.

I disagree that Nano is to avoid competing against the 980Ti, since they had Nano planned and in the works for a long time before the 980Ti.

You can look at their E3 conference, Nano was already showcased with the same build. Fury X was showcased long before its launch as well. The form factor benefit of HBM was also mentioned in press decks many months before Fury X's launch.

They went for the form factor because HBM allows them to do so. Where the pricing ends up, reflect the market at the time and their limited volume means a price drop is not doing them any favors.

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
The pricing is retarded from the point of the average GPU enthusiast and consumer who wants to see AMD gain back market share and the GPU industry return to a healthy duopoly. With this pricing AMD is indirectly saying that Nano is a heavily binned low volume premium SKU.......
Are you saying Nano is NOT volume constrained and AMD is purposely limiting sales by keeping the price high? You keep calling the pricing "retarded" but that would only be the case if AMD had a surplus of product, if they are supply constrained then keeping the price high is obviously in their best interest.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I can't believe this to be true on the price.

But oh well, I guess I'm waiting for price cuts come holiday season!
I'll wait for those $50 pricecuts Silverforce. They should be coming.

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
...if they are supply constrained then keeping the price high is obviously in their best interest.

Yeah looks like it. Price is a good indicator Fiji chips is no where near volume to make big change in market share. Also good indicator the BOM of Fiji is high as have to assume AMD would price lower if they could. If AMD knows the Fiji based cards will sell out in any case purely because of volume they need to ensure good profit margin for stock reports. It is what is. I'm guessing AMD had to test HBM process like a new arch which is usually is done on lower end card like tonga(r9 285) and maxwell(GTX750). I assume that is done to gauge\improve yields on future higher end chip. In any case, can't wait for 28nm era to come to an end.

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
Yea, I don't get this pricing at all. Same chip with a smaller board, less power delivery circuitry, and an entire water cooling setup replaced with a small heatpipe cooler. Somehow that comes to the same price.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Are you saying Nano is NOT volume constrained and AMD is purposely limiting sales by keeping the price high? You keep calling the pricing "retarded" but that would only be the case if AMD had a surplus of product, if they are supply constrained then keeping the price high is obviously in their best interest.

What I am telling is with current pricing and the current product stack AMD will continue to lose overall GPU market share. The Fiji GPU volume is low and both the Fury X and Nano are basically more like a proof of concept with an effort to make some margins. Overall when it comes to serious volume you should look at GTX 980 Ti custom cards. Now thats what I call serious high volume availability. The breadth, quality and supply volume of 980 Ti custom cards is phenonenal. That is the sign of a company executing flawlessly. :cool:

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

Get real. :p Nothing is worse than Titan. Except Titan Z. That was the biggest joke ever, IMO.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Seriously I think AMD Fiji's production costs are quite high and supply is likely constrained as HBM is a new technology and just ramping. Fiji is an underwhelming product. So AMD knows pretty much they have no chance against the outstanding custom 980 Ti cards. Thats the reason for them to put out the Nano. Find niche segements where Nvidia does not have a competitive product and just sell at the maximum prices possible. Since supply is going to be heavily constrained and this is going to be a highly binned low volume SKU they will sell through whatever they produce. But overall AMD will keep losing market share across all price points. :thumbsdown:

I think if Nvidia wanted they can release a heavily binned low leakage GTX 980 mini ITX version and toy further with AMD. This is a pathetic state of the GPU industry with one dominant company firing on all cylinders and the other company sick, non competitive and completely clueless about how to gain back market share (or maybe AMD know there is not a chance to gain share till next gen FINFET products)

It's the TSV that's just ramping up and likely causing the low Fury levels. I haven't heard anything related to HBM shortages.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
$649 makes perfect sense for the Nano.... if they are only able to produce a couple hundred of them rather than 1000s. If limited quantities it will be sold out.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
LOL. $649? ok.... AMD. This is some Nvidia Titan pricing stupidity. It might actually be worst. .
Titan is flying off the shelves and makes nVidia a ton of money. That's not stupidity, that's smart business practice grounded in reality.

In the other thread we were told Titan pricing is justified because it's a "halo". Well here comes the Nano, the fastest ITX/SFF solution available. If it lives up to that promise, that makes it a halo too.

Way to go, AMD. Man, just keep on digging
After years of bang-for-buck, what has AMD achieved? Bleeding cash and shrinking in value and relevance every year, that's what.

It's time AMD started taking pages out of nVidia's book with regards to gouging and anti-competitiveness. We consumers might not like it, but this pricing could be one of the best moves they ever make.

Feb 19, 2009
It's time AMD started taking pages out of nVidia's book with regards to gouging and anti-competitiveness. We consumers might not like it, but this pricing could be one of the best moves they ever make.

I hope not, the last thing PC gaming needs is a closed source blackbox AMD GE middleware. Its going to mean if you want to play some titles, you gotta have an AMD GPU, and other titles, you gotta have an NV GPU. That would be ridiculous.

I understand the sentiment, but that approach does a lot of long term damage for the industry & gamers as a whole.

I do see your point, if Nano lives up to its claims, then indeed its the Halo product for its market.