The fundamental difference between a Democrat and a Republican and...

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Just because you call it with a perjorative "trickle down economics" doesn't change that essentially you just want to screw the rich because they're rich. It's not about funding needs, or equitable taxation, or anything else. Income tax burden of the bottom 90% has gone down steadily over the past few decades but that's not enough since your entire worldview is based upon knocking down the rich a few pegs. Which is why this is sad, progressives have an argument that's basically correct (we're at the point of diminishing returns for cuts to top rates, we're not starting from a 70% top bracket anymore) but ruin it with class warfare tactics. Yeah rich people might get some tax relief but guess what, that's OK because they're citizens too; hoarding every bit of tax relief for just the poor or middle classes and withholding it from the rich is both bad policy and mere spiteful behavior

We could have a meaningful debate about taxes/gov if proper phrasing was used. Taxes aren't "punishment" and government spending isn't "waste". Taxes are payment for services rendered (past and future) and government spending is for maintenance of a civil society and investment in the future. E.g. roads to bring goods to market and education so the rich guy's company have people to hire. The rich (often, maybe not always) benefit disproportionately so they pay more.

If the GOP are willing to say we should use less money to maintain the already crumbling infrastructure that puts the US behind other countries, or on education so the US has to import more high-skilled workers that at least they'd be honest. Just saying "spending" as some unspecified, evil thing is pointless.

Reactions: ivwshane

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Today's Republicans are for as big of government as the left, and that sucks. But the left has totally jumped the shark as of late, so what other options are there?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Today's Republicans are for as big of government as the left, and that sucks. But the left has totally jumped the shark as of late, so what other options are there?

Totally post-truth, huh? With a load of "they're just as bad".

The Republicans have embarked on an epic top down class warfare looting spree. They'll be robbing us blind, rigging the system so that only the wealthy get anything out of it. That's their version of freedom.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Totally post-truth, huh? With a load of "they're just as bad".

The Republicans have embarked on an epic top down class warfare looting spree. They'll be robbing us blind, rigging the system so that only the wealthy get anything out of it. That's their version of freedom.

The Republicans are the lesser of two evils at this time. The left is full blown stupid mode right now. Maybe once they get over Trump winning they'll get back to being normal, but as it is we are a year in and they're still throwing a tantrum.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
The Republicans are the lesser of two evils at this time. The left is full blown stupid mode right now. Maybe once they get over Trump winning they'll get back to being normal, but as it is we are a year in and they're still throwing a tantrum.

I want you to remember this year. What the economy is 5 years from now is 100% on you. What the internet is 5 years from now is 100% on you. You wanted what the Republicans are about to give us, well you fucking got it.

While you are pondering this five years from now, I would also like you to ponder what Bush gave Obama and what Obama gave Trump. This isn't rocket science and you don't need a fancy degree to figure it out.

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I want you to remember this year. What the economy is 5 years from now is 100% on you. What the internet is 5 years from now is 100% on you. You wanted what the Republicans are about to give us, well you fucking got it.

While you are pondering this five years from now, I would also like you to ponder what Bush gave Obama and what Obama gave Trump. This isn't rocket science and you don't need a fancy degree to figure it out.

The thing is we'll never know how how we'd soar or how awful things would be if the Dems were in control right now, so five years from now we'd be comparing reality to what might or might not have been, to the possibility of things being better or worse.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That's like the recitation of a religious creed, right?

Repubs are looting the treasury so that the insanely rich can be more so. And you defend it.

Did you come to the conclusion that the mega-rich somehow needed more money? For what? Their lifestyles are saturated. They already reinvest the vast majority of what they take in. What's in it for the rest of us? Trickle down?

The projection in your tantrum remark is really outstanding. You & a lot of other conservatives threw a fucking tantrum, made Trump President & elected a Repub Congress. Even as it unfolds in all its awful glory you just back deeper into the bunker o' denial.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
The thing is we'll never know how how we'd soar or how awful things would be if the Dems were in control right now, so five years from now we'd be comparing reality to what might or might not have been, to the possibility of things being better or worse.
Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather
Shiny leather in the dark

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

Um we know the reality of the 8 years of Obama and it is really damn impressive. Nearly as impressive as GW Bush's effect was catastrophic.

Kind of hilarious that you recognize that the Republican plan will eventually devastate the economy and are already making excuses for it. Even you have utterly no confidence that the Republicans will do anything other than devastate the economy.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Um we know the reality of the 8 years of Obama and it is really damn impressive. Nearly as impressive as GW Bush's effect was catastrophic.

Kind of hilarious that you recognize that the Republican plan will eventually devastate the economy and are already making excuses for it. Even you have utterly no confidence that the Republicans will do anything other than devastate the economy.

There are the same handful of people here that will always lament and decry anything done by Trump / GOP. And in my experiences, the reality of things just doesn't match the extremes of these persons' words. I'm just going with my gut here. GW was bad, Obama wasn't terrible (in fact he was ok), I think Trump is being attacked when things really aren't bad a year in. At least no worse than when Obama was president.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
There are the same handful of people here that will always lament and decry anything done by Trump / GOP. And in my experiences, the reality of things just doesn't match the extremes of these persons' words. I'm just going with my gut here. GW was bad, Obama wasn't terrible (in fact he was ok), I think Trump is being attacked when things really aren't bad a year in. At least no worse than when Obama was president.
Tongue of thongs, the belt that does await you
Strike, dear mistress, and cure his heart

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

Comin' up that street, jackboots steppin' high.
Got to make a stand.
Looking in your windows and listen to your phone.
Keep a gun in your hand.

Feb 16, 2005

Comin' up that street, jackboots steppin' high.
Got to make a stand.
Looking in your windows and listen to your phone.
Keep a gun in your hand.

Someone quotes the Velvet Underground and you answer it with a pedo ted nugent quote. Jesus, you are just pathetic to the point of being laughable. So even your musical influences are bags of flaming dog shit.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Right-O. Obama inherited the worst financial crisis since 1929. Trump inherited a steadily growing economy & a rising employment rate. The Trumpublicans are bringing back the same policy that led to the near catastrophe of 2008.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Right-O. Obama inherited the worst financial crisis since 1929. Trump inherited a steadily growing economy & a rising employment rate. The Trumpublicans are bringing back the same policy that led to the near catastrophe of 2008.

Obama did do a good job considering what he inherited from GW, I agree. I disagree with the other part of your post.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Obama did do a good job considering what he inherited from GW, I agree. I disagree with the other part of your post.
Why do you believe this time will be the only time trickle down works? It NEVER has, do you really believe Trump can make it work?
Only he can do it? That’s some real faith or something else.