The FULL Llano die

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
I didn't notice at first that he mentioned bandwidth estimates (I just glossed over his post looking at SP numbers, sorry!) That is interesting if true, that would be one heck of a powerful IGP. a 4770 is certainly no slouch, in essence we'd get an 8800/9800GT power in an IGP... sounds too good to be true. IGPs have always been underpowered so as not to cannibalize the sales of discrete GPU cards, at least as far as I understood it.

This could be a big win for OEM designs. A mid-range quad core and a mid-range gpu, on a single chip is tempting, even more so if GPGPU takes off to any extent (say hello to the ultimate cheap photoshop machine). The laptop versions of this could easily take the mobile market.

But by 2011, 4670 to 4770ish performance will be much less impressive. AMD's 880g IGP could already be pushing (maybe even beating?) 4500ish performance, and it's set to launch within 6 months. In a year's time, 4770ish performance will be down to $50 cards, so it's not unreasonable to see IGPs at that level.

I could see AMD killing off the low end mainstream cards though. CPUs are their primary business, and adding a decent gpu to a cpu is quite the value-add. It's also a major point in favor of the AMD platform:
Get AMD cpu + gpu for $200, or pay $250 for an Intel platform to get the same performance.

jvroig

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
ut by 2011, 4670 to 4770ish performance will be much less impressive.

Right. That's something I forgot to consider. I just had it in my head that a 4770 is a 8800/9800GT (or a little better) card, and there's no way they are making an IGP like that - until of course, such time passes that 4770/9800GT has made its way far down the ladder already. Thanks, Fox5, you put that one in context.

I'm all for AMD doing it to eliminate the low-end cards, if it also means their CPU/GPU combo will mean more "awesomeness" for regular users who won't be playing games at resolutions higher than 1280x1024, but will need a beefy CPU nonetheless.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
It will be out in a year or less, which isn't much time. And we can't conclude performance based just on architecture at this time as we have no idea what target clockrates will be.

This thing will be implemented in 32nm SOI with HKMG...so whereas the similar GPU hardware might have delivered 4670/4770 performance levels operating at 800MHz clocks, it could be a whole other ballgame if AMD debuts this thing with GPU clocks north of 2GHz.