The Fraud of E=mc²

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Moonie may think he’s smarter than Gandhi but at least he doesn’t think he’s smarter than Einstein like the OP
True...just a little higher level of patronizing and condescension, maybe. (on Moonie's part) lol

Reactions: Meghan54

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
FYI, science and religion are not mutually exclusive. As was mentioned, Einstein was religious. Interestingly, while he did such groundbreaking work on theories such as the photoelectric effect, relativity, and others...he had a hard time grasping/agreeing with the randomness of Quantum mechanics. He couldn't believe God would throw dice with the universe. But at the subatomic level, things just work a bit differently. Weird stuff indeed, and fascinating.

A few general tips I can give: embrace your religion, if you like, as there are many good, helpful things about spirituality and religion. But don't mistake holy scripts for science textbooks. Likewise, you cannot expect science to explain everything, at least not as we have science today. Some things are just too difficult to observe, test, and document. God and afterlife, for example.

Anyway, religion should be more of a moral guide I find, a way of how to live life. Science helps us learn, but it is not really about knowing something, but rather the method of which we figure it out. There is so much we have yet to learn, and never will.

So try to enjoy both religion and science, but don't confuse their purposes.

Now, back to weird science stuff...black holes, are perhaps my greatest fear. More so than zombies. Once could have the most powerful, most advanced fleet in the galaxy, and yet, I can't think of anything that would deter a black hole. Shooting it will only make it grow. Now, I could stay the F away, and try to starve it, waiting for it to evaporate. But this would take untold eons in most cases! At least according to what we think we know now about them. If someone knows a better approach to dealing with black holes, please let me know. Either IRL or sci-fi. What would Picard do? How about Thrawn?

Reactions: igor_kavinski

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Now, back to weird science stuff...black holes, are perhaps my greatest fear. More so than zombies. Once could have the most powerful, most advanced fleet in the galaxy, and yet, I can't think of anything that would deter a black hole. Shooting it will only make it grow. Now, I could stay the F away, and try to starve it, waiting for it to evaporate. But this would take untold eons in most cases! At least according to what we think we know now about them. If someone knows a better approach to dealing with black holes, please let me know. Either IRL or sci-fi. What would Picard do? How about Thrawn?

lol not fear of the Doom hell creature in your user pic?

But back to black holes, nah it’s a thing of beauty

C73C463A-3E6D-4FE5-895E-E3C287592151.png

waves hi to the Enterprise

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Nothing to be done about it. A black hole is a mountain, you go around it. A black hole is an unthinking object that won't do anything other than what it's presently doing. Unless you have a burning desire to see the future (alone), I can't imagine any reason to go near one.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
@Torn_Mind, before I proceed further, I have a question for you.
Question: "If we put F=d/dt(γm₀v) in: W= ∫ Fds, what is the unit of force F in SI units?"
I hope you would give an answer. This is important as I have to be clear about your position with respect to some fundamental aspect of the physics needed to debate my 24-line refutation of E=mc².

"Force is defined as the rate of change of momentum. For an unchanging mass, this is equivalent to mass x acceleration. So, 1 N = 1 kg m s-2, or 1 kg m/s2."
Mass being modeled as a function and not as a constant isn't just applicable to relativity, but also rocket launches.

Integrals are introduced by Riemann sums and calculated the area of a rectangle. Then, the limit as each rectangle gets infinitesimally smaller eventually results in the area under a curve

There is no such thing as a part of an integrated function changing units. You are integrating "f(x)" with respect to some variable. Integrating the whole function results in F(x)+C. Mass in relativity remains noted in kg. Just that the kg will vary depending on velocity, as represented by gamma.

Chan Rasjid

Feb 12, 2023
www.emc2fails.com
How did you choose Islam? You based your decision on reliable sources of information (all of those 1500 years ago).

Yet here you are questioning sources from the 20th century.

Or maybe you just thought, hey! 70 virgins! Too good a deal to pass up!
If our destiny at birth is not too unlucky, we grow up and will have a normal life. When we meet and talk to a person, we usually could tell the nature of the person. It is the same when reading an essay or a book; we also could access the nature of the author, whether he is one to be trusted. As an example, we know best about our immediate family members, our parents and siblings - they cannot hide from us.

This book should be an interesting read, a true story of a person's work and mission. Judge a book through your intuition when your inner self is empty.

"Inner Wisdom", by Prio Hartono

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Chan Rasjid

Feb 12, 2023
www.emc2fails.com
So what's the last word here? Did the OP make big Al look like an idiot, or will atom bombs still go boom?
Nuclear energy is basically experimental science just as with gunpowder. The Chinese who invented it knew nothing about the periodic table of elements or about the chemistry of combustion. As long as we mix saltpeter (potassium nitrate), sulfur, and charcoal in the proper proportions, it will work.

When radioactivity was discover by Madam Curie and others, they knew it was different from their usual chemical energy. Nuclear energy comes from within the nucleus of atom. As long as we know how nuclear is released, it does not matter if we know the theory about its source. We just follow the blueprint and our nuclear reactors and our bombs would work. We get better efficiency through more experimental research, not from debating if nuclear energy is due to E=mc² working or not working.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Ah yes, I remember the stories of how Oppenheimer and Edward Teller sat around a bowl of radioactive material and tried time and time again to cut those pesky materials. Until one day they found the right butter knife to properly set off the right chain reaction to make a atomic bomb. They didn't know the theory, they just needed to find the right butter knife.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
There is a bit of irony in someone who doesn't know physics wanting some source to basically tell him the programming of system like GPS...many of which went through a complete physics program.

At least on its face, because we don't know if this guy is simply just intentionally spewing out errors through a manufactured personality just to see how people respond and see how well people actually know and communicate the evidentiary and mathematical foundations to the scientific knowledge that is accepted.

Reactions: Pohemi

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
OP did you know that a meter is defined by the distance light travels in set amount of time? Of course this time was set based on the speed of light in m/s. Therefore both the definition of the speed of light and the meter are circular. Similar to your issue with using Joule in e=mc^2.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
FYI, science and religion are not mutually exclusive. As was mentioned, Einstein was religious. Interestingly, while he did such groundbreaking work on theories such as the photoelectric effect, relativity, and others...he had a hard time grasping/agreeing with the randomness of Quantum mechanics. He couldn't believe God would throw dice with the universe.
"Albert Einstein's religious views have been widely studied and often misunderstood. Albert Einstein stated "I believe in Spinoza’s God". He did not believe in a personal God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings, a view which he described as naïve. He clarified however that, "I am not an atheist", preferring to call himself an agnostic, or a "religious nonbeliever."

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012

I had to do a lot of google search for things and these were some of my finds. I'm not making a point, just that I had to go look on the interwebz.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
FYI, science and religion are not mutually exclusive. As was mentioned, Einstein was religious. Interestingly, while he did such groundbreaking work on theories such as the photoelectric effect, relativity, and others...he had a hard time grasping/agreeing with the randomness of Quantum mechanics. He couldn't believe God would throw dice with the universe. But at the subatomic level, things just work a bit differently. Weird stuff indeed, and fascinating.

A few general tips I can give: embrace your religion, if you like, as there are many good, helpful things about spirituality and religion. But don't mistake holy scripts for science textbooks. Likewise, you cannot expect science to explain everything, at least not as we have science today. Some things are just too difficult to observe, test, and document. God and afterlife, for example.

Anyway, religion should be more of a moral guide I find, a way of how to live life. Science helps us learn, but it is not really about knowing something, but rather the method of which we figure it out. There is so much we have yet to learn, and never will.

So try to enjoy both religion and science, but don't confuse their purposes.

"Albert Einstein's religious views have been widely studied and often misunderstood. Albert Einstein stated "I believe in Spinoza’s God". He did not believe in a personal God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings, a view which he described as naïve. He clarified however that, "I am not an atheist", preferring to call himself an agnostic, or a "religious nonbeliever."

Georges Lemaître and Louis Pasteur were Catholic, the former being a Catholic priest.

Chan Rasjid

Feb 12, 2023
www.emc2fails.com
OP did you know that a meter is defined by the distance light travels in set amount of time? Of course this time was set based on the speed of light in m/s. Therefore both the definition of the speed of light and the meter are circular. Similar to your issue with using Joule in e=mc^2.
I really don't understand your associating the SI definition of the meter with my proof that the E in E=mc² does not have any real SI unit.

The SI definition of the meter is based on the definition of the second and then assuming that the speed of light is a universal constant. Definition of meter is then taken to be the distance light will cover in 1/299792458 of a second. With such SI definitions of the second and the meter, the speed of light would be exact 299792458 m/s.

The speed of light actually is NOT a universal constant; it is accepted to be so by the mainstream based on the second postulate of special relativity. The speed of light in our laboratory would vary very slightly at different times of the year depending on the motion of the earth through the aether. This would give some error in our meter standard, but it is still better then relying on two scratched marks on a "platinum-iridium" rod kept in a chamber in Buckingham Palace in London. The British royalty would also have a hard time entertaining the metrologists frequently come visiting.

• Haha
Reactions: Torn Mind

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I'm glad we're on the same page now.
You seem to like posting drivel to trigger some sort of response.

It seems in your mind that it is justified to be unjust(no explanation) if the other party is in moral violation to your personal morals. This is an example of lay justice, and constant reminder that despite my hatred of lawyers, the justice system is more just than people like you. Lawyers can be checked by much labor and logical reasoning. Lay people judge on emotions first and do not hear appeals.

It's also nonsensical.

Lemaitre was deep into the religious stuff just as much as he was into the intellectual pursuits. He personally believed the subjects should be kept separate.

Tying with this thread, Einstein was actually resistant to the idea of an expanding universe.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I really don't understand your associating the SI definition of the meter with my proof that the E in E=mc² does not have any real SI unit.

The SI definition of the meter is based on the definition of the second and then assuming that the speed of light is a universal constant. Definition of meter is then taken to be the distance light will cover in 1/299792458 of a second. With such SI definitions of the second and the meter, the speed of light would be exact 299792458 m/s.

The speed of light actually is NOT a universal constant; it is accepted to be so by the mainstream based on the second postulate of special relativity. The speed of light in our laboratory would vary very slightly at different times of the year depending on the motion of the earth through the aether. This would give some error in our meter standard, but it is still better then relying on two scratched marks on a "platinum-iridium" rod kept in a chamber in Buckingham Palace in London. The British royalty would also have a hard time entertaining the metrologists frequently come visiting.
Exactly, the definition of the length is dependent on the assumption that light travels a certain amount of that length in a certain time (and the second assumption that it is a fixed value). This is circular, in that if we employed no other methods to check the length, it could change if the speed of light changed.

I didn't closely read your OP, but you were saying that you couldn't use Joule in E=mc² because a joule is derived from Newtonian physics.

I think both present an interesting thought experiment, but at the end of day both are "good enough."

Chan Rasjid

Feb 12, 2023
www.emc2fails.com

I had to do a lot of google search for things and these were some of my finds. I'm not making a point, just that I had to go look on the interwebz.
All these sources you linked to are mainstream's misinterpretation of Newton's second law of motion. These sources are all wrong (Britannica, Quora, physics stack exchange). They don't understand Newton's laws in the manner Newton intended it to be the basis of Newtonian mechanics.

Yes! Force = dp/dt in Newtonian mechanics, but provided momentum p= invariant-mass x velocity.

If you define p=(γ^n)m₀v; for n= 1,2,3...infinity, you would be having infinitely many new "relativistic mechanics" and all these would work in their respective "relativistic world of reality"; they would have nothing at all to do with "Newton's world of reality".

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You seem to like posting drivel to trigger some sort of response.
Holy shit! Look at these readings!

giphy.gif

It seems in your mind that it is justified to be unjust(no explanation) if the other party is in moral violation to your personal morals. This is an example of lay justice, and constant reminder that despite my hatred of lawyers, the justice system is more just than people like you. Lawyers can be checked by much labor and logical reasoning. Lay people judge on emotions first and do not hear appeals.

It's also nonsensical.

Lemaitre was deep into the religious stuff just as much as he was into the intellectual pursuits. He personally believed the subjects should be kept separate.

Tying with this thread, Einstein was actually resistant to the idea of an expanding universe.
What the fuck are you talking about? Dude said "Einstein was religious", I posted a link to indicate "uh, not really".