The Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Is A Ridiculous Good Case

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
I am glad I cancelled my order for a Corsair Carbide 300R and got me a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 instead. I got the case yesterday and it's just as good as all reviews on the net suggest.

The flexibility you have when building is crazy. Removable and re-positionable and rotatable drive cages.

Rather good cable management with rubber grommets, plenty space at back.

Very nice, simple but stylish design.

Incredible build quality.

Integrated fan control with three speeds.

Three 140mm fans, removable filters and so on, and so on and so on.

Comes with a shiateload of screws, HD trays etc.

Shrouded connectors even for fans

It basically has all the Corsair is lacking.

MINOR critic points (which are not making this case less good, but just want to mention)

The fans that come with the case are probably not the highest quality fans, they run a little slow for my taste and also a little uneven.

You have to screw in HDs to the trays and you have to screw in opticals, something I didn't have to do in ages.

I have the "solid side panel" version since I don't care for a side-window, there is a nice opening for a 140mm on the side which of course also has a filter. If I wanted I could get me the extra windowed side panel (essentially making the case the more known window version of the case) which is only €7 + s/h.

EXCELLENT and highly recommended.

Note: The current trend with almost all new cases being open at the top with a mesh and fans- I am not so sure what to think about it. At least this one has a filter on top, not like the Corsair where there is ONLY a mesh, basically just asking for dirt etc. to fall into the case. (And cats who love to sit on cases by the way LOVE to get stuck in the holes with their claws... :)

It would be perfect if case makers of "open on top" cases would include an actual cover for the top so you could replace the mesh with a real cover if you wanted. This would also add to better acoustic performance for those who don't care/need a case open at the top. Whether the fan which blows out and up adds anything in terms of better temps..I don't know. The open tops are something for people who like to mount radiators etc, but not everyone does this. Just my $0.02

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I've got one of the older Arc Minis, it's a pretty decent case, but not a Define. Like you, I'm very happy with mine (actually, ALL of my Fractal cases...) and it's always the first place I look when shopping cases.

My Arc had a separate 'cover' on top that you could remove to be able to mount a WC radiator... does the new one have this? I DO wish they would include a solid cover to cap that off...

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
The cover on top is an additional cover with a mesh and a filter. You can take this off and clean it.
The Midi R2 has enough space to mount 240mm WC radiators under the top but also in front. (You can actually move back the HD cage if you want to mount a large radiator in the front). There is no need to remove the top filter since you would mount the radiator inside the case.

This is the most ridiculous thing with the CORSAIR: Because even with the corsair being open on top it does NOT have enough space to mount even their very own popular radiators like the h100i. So people need to mount them outside (!) or mod their cases which IMHO is a total joke since it makes the entire "open top" of the Corsair case pointless for those who would actually need it. All it does is increase the case's noise level and make way for dirt, fluids etc. to get into the case easily.

Last edited:

glazer1972

Jul 25, 2011
That was one of the cases on my short list but I ended up getting a great deal on a Corsair 400R.