The first bitcoin ransom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Someone claims to have stolen Mitt Romney's tax returns and is holding them for a $1 million in bitcoin ransom.

As much as I think Romney should release the tax returns for political reasons, he's under no obligation to and the theft of his records would be just as much an invasion of privacy as the theft of anyone else's records.

Regardless of whether or not these people actually have his tax returns, I think this is the first case I've seen of bitcoins being demanded in a high-profile ransom. A sign of things to come?

Jan 25, 2011
Doubt they have them but I do hope the full brunt of the law comes down upon then for attempting to extort Romney.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What kind of a dung heap would run for Pres and try to hide his taxes with the excuse they would he can't because they would testify against his presidential qualifications.

MrColin

Platinum Member
May 21, 2003
I hope they get paid. 1M getting dumped will move the market. I'm speculating on volatility in BTC.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
I'm rendered speechless by this. What do you even call a crime that involves B&E, ransoms, and payments in untraceable virtual currency?

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
I'm rendered speechless by this. What do you even call a crime that involves B&E, ransoms, and payments in untraceable virtual currency?

A movie? Sounds like a great plot........ :)

Status
Not open for further replies.