The final screwing by the boomers...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You should probably be publicly shamed yourself for not supporting your parents in their time of need by having your face put on a billboard or something.
Not necissarily. Respect as a parent needs to be earned. Nothing wrong with holding contemptible parents in contempt. What is wrong is to hold all parents in contempt because yours were if they were and what is utterly childish and emotionally immature is to blame people by generation. To do that is to be laughably lacking in moral discrimination, at least in my opinion.

That honor your parents can lead to Stockholm Syndrome. But Stockholm Syndrome is a survival mechanism and you can't blame children who succumb to it. They had to to survive. Pity, but don't hate because what was done to us couldn't have been otherwise. We need the truth about our origins, but we have to set aside blame because it is at root, self hate, and that is the very thing we need to overcome, not magnify, by denial.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Yea, you boomers looked cool in the 60s and 70s. Dancing to the disco beats of the day! From Woodstock to depends!

:triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph::):):):):)

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
They're state laws not federal so why are you asking my opinion about laws not pertinent to me? And if you as their children aren't going to pay for the bills they rung up for medical care provided to them in good faith, then those deadbeat parents of yours should become the legal property of those who are owed money to use as slave labor, harvesting of organs, or any other way they can recoup some of the losses from them. You should probably be publicly shamed yourself for not supporting your parents in their time of need by having your face put on a billboard or something.

This guy can’t not be retarded.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
So they boinked the world's climate. dumped pills in thier kids mouths instead of raising them. Bilked their kids with higher edu costs. Blew up the housing prices. Blew up social security and now they will force you to pay for their end of life care.

Hopefully this changes or a lot of us are gonna get yet another speed bump in life due to the aging boomers who didnt save money.

Worst. generation. ever.

Finally someone has the courage to place the blame for all of our problems upon someone else.

Reactions: Ajay

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Another iteration of grievance politics, barely interesting perhaps because I am not a "Boomer," although I shouldn't be surprised when they come for Xer's, too.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Another iteration of grievance politics, barely interesting perhaps because I am not a "Boomer," although I shouldn't be surprised when they come for Xer's, too.

In 20 years I'm really gonna enjoy seeing America scramble to come up with bullshit reasons why Gen X "ruined" America. I'm sure it will be based on the absolutely horrible logic conservatives are using right now.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
In 20 years I'm really gonna enjoy seeing America scramble to come up with bullshit reasons why Gen X "ruined" America. I'm sure it will be based on the absolutely horrible logic conservatives are using right now.
Oh, the answer is simply enough that I can tell it to you right now: It is by not giving enough of a shit to look up from their cell phones long enough to do something about all the problems the world is facing, and instead just bitching about it on internet forums. They are the ignore the problem and hope it goes away generation.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Why is it ok to praise an entire generation but not fault one?
The only generation that gets universal praise is the 'greatest generation' - the one before the boomers. Boomers expected great retirement benefits from the companies they worked for, and some did. For those of us near the tail end of the boomer generations, suddenly it was, you should have had a 401K (thanks for letting us know 20 years late). Then it was, hey, you need to change your job every five years to maximize your income, ugh! Then we actually started getting decent matching funds for are 401Ks and stuff started looking up. Anyway, the job/compensation* market kept changing under our feet as companies 'streamlined' and 'right sized' and 're-aligned' jobs and compensation with 'strategic goals'. It's been a shit show, and I supposed it's the same for GenXers. Anyway, you younger generations shouldn't worry, you'll get fvcked over multiple ways and then become a burden to society like everyone else.

*pay & benefits.

Reactions: feralkid and Lanyap

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Sorry, but everybody doesn't have crappy parents like you.

I had a great aunt/uncle in the 80's who'd saved up well over a million in cash/assets when they both started having medical issues and had to go into a care facility. By the time they passed, there was literally nothing. Good thing they didn't have kids that the nursing homes could go after.

The costs that those places rack up are massive and will suck up everything you've saved your whole life. If you think you have enough, you don't.

Inherited debt should not be a thing. Go after someone's estate, fine, but going after their children is messed up.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
and now they will force you to pay for their end of life care.

Don't know where you or anyone else got the idea that boomers had anything to do with the filial responsibility laws. Those laws were in place in 45 states by the 1950's - long before boomers had any say in things. Medicare used to pay for long term care but that was eliminated in 1969 - also not done by boomers.

Reactions: Lanyap

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Inherited debt should not be a thing. Go after someone's estate, fine, but going after their children is messed up.
I agree with that. But come on, there is an untapped money source here - capitalism demands that it be efficiently extracted according to market demand (j/k).

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Don't know where you or anyone else got the idea that boomers had anything to do with the filial responsibility laws. Those laws were in place in 45 states by the 1950's - long before boomers had any say in things. Medicare used to pay for long term care but that was eliminated in 1969 - also not done by boomers.
What? The greatest generation screwed us - say it isn't so!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I had a great aunt/uncle in the 80's who'd saved up well over a million in cash/assets when they both started having medical issues and had to go into a care facility. By the time they passed, there was literally nothing. Good thing they didn't have kids that the nursing homes could go after.

The costs that those places rack up are massive and will suck up everything you've saved your whole life. If you think you have enough, you don't.

Yeah, the doctors and nurses who work there shouldn't get paid so your great aunt/uncle won't have to spend their million in care that's rendered to them. Sounds like a perfect example of progressive "thought."

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Yeah, the doctors and nurses who work there shouldn't get paid so your great aunt/uncle won't have to spend their million in care that's rendered to them. Sounds like a perfect example of progressive "thought."

Why are you the way you are? You're not even on the same continent as the point I was making.

Costs of long term care are outrageous and there's no way for the average person to prepare for it. A solution should be found other than impoverishing even more people.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

So what you are saying is that boomers, in 40+ years, have done exactly zero to address these issues?

Thanks for making my point.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Gen X is a completely powerless generation, politically speaking. They certainly aren't making policies that make it difficult for others to get ahead and they certainly aren't voting for literally the dumbest president in US history. They comprised of, at most 15-20% of the electorate vs 56% the boomers make up.

Its funny how the voters who vote for "personal responsibility" never want to take personal responsibility for their actions.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Gen X is a completely powerless generation, politically speaking. They certainly aren't making policies that make it difficult for others to get ahead and they certainly aren't voting for literally the dumbest president in US history. They comprised of, at most 15-20% of the electorate vs 56% the boomers make up.

Its funny how the voters who vote for "personal responsibility" never want to take personal responsibility for their actions.

A thousand years from now I think that will be how historians see the American Empire.
"Everyone else but me."

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
OP and others complaining about Boomers fail to realize/acknowledge that most of the Boomers were just regular middle class blue and white collar workers that went to work 9 to 5 and worked their asses off to provide for their family and hopefully be able to retire and support themselves. It's the top 1-10% that did the shitty stuff you're complaining about so just shut the fuck up and go cry somewhere else. You wouldn't have any technology if it weren't for the Boomers. Go complain to Siri. JFC, what a bunch of whiners!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
OP and others complaining about Boomers fail to realize/acknowledge that most of the Boomers were just regular middle class blue and white collar workers that went to work 9 to 5 and worked their asses off to provide for their family and hopefully be able to retire and support themselves. It's the top 1-10% that did the shitty stuff you're complaining about so just shut the fuck up and go cry somewhere else. You wouldn't have any technology if it weren't for the Boomers. Go complain to Siri. JFC, what a bunch of whiners!

And some are very fine people.

And as I've alluded to, it was the boomers who put those people in power and who screwed all the other economic classes over. So go fuck yourself you self centered fuck up of a generation.