The final screwing by the boomers...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
you are the only one talking about killing people.
Yes, but I'm not the one projecting my fear of feeling that feeling because it's the farthest thing from my mind but apparently uncomfortably close to the surface in yours.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
And yet when the mirror is given back to you...
Hell, my post wasn't even directed at you but rather baby boomers in general and you among many other boomers can't even acknowledge your hand in the world we live in let alone accept your impact on it. And here you are "reflecting back" on others? Thanks, now I'm dying of laughter.
Don't forget "the greatest generation" too, who gave us Reagan that started this whole mess.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Yes, but I'm not the one projecting my fear of feeling that feeling because it's the farthest thing from my mind but apparently uncomfortably close to the surface in yours.

if its the farthest thing from your mind why do you keep bringing it up?

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Don't forget "the greatest generation" too, who gave us Reagan that started this whole mess.

I disagree. The greatest generation attempted to give those coming after them everything they could. The GI Bill, Medicare, the voting rights act, etc. they certainly weren't perfect but they at least recognized the inequalities of this country and areas where we could be better. The boomer generation, started off strong and was on pace to continue the pursuit the greatest generation continued/started but they did a complete 180 and became the very thing they were fighting against. Their fantasy of peace and love and equality were traded in for a self centered lifestyle and a culture of greed is good. They, like the current Republican party, setup a system that benefited them and made it more difficult for others after them to achieve similar success. Now their policies are coming back to bite us in the ass and not only do they want future generations to take care of them but they still continue blocking any change that will make life better for newer generations.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
moonbeam incorrectly said the solution was medicare. The one company opted to sue the guy instead of going for medicare because they got more money. 500k. I dont think a basic income would cover the charges since the boomers jacked the prices of everything for freedumb.

Americans are dumb enough to price everything out of reach. Be it housing, hospitals, or some form of both.

Doesn't change the answer. When that fossil laying in a bed is worth $1,000/mo to whoever is caring for them... well, life finds a way.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Americans are dumb enough to price everything out of reach. Be it housing, hospitals, or some form of both.

Doesn't change the answer. When that fossil laying in a bed is worth $1,000/mo to whoever is caring for them... well, life finds a way.

1,000 a month? you trippin...

The Cost Of Elder Care
TypeAverageAnnual
Nursing home: private room$239/day$87,235
Assisted living$3,477/month$41,724
Home care: home health aide$21/hour$21,840
Home care: homemaker$19/hour$19,760

Mar 11, 2004
View attachment 10533

I think a Millenial remake is coming :)

Its going to be about how every year there's a social media vote to pick an elite squad of video game streamers to cull the old people via mass shooting. Or maybe some geriatric version of Battle Royale.

The final scene will be the streamers, wearing Clint Eastwood, Charlton Heston, etc, masks, talking to a stadium full of empty chairs.

It'll be called, Death Panel.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
if its the farthest thing from your mind why do you keep bringing it up?
Because it meets the challenge of sounding as crazy to you as you sound to me. I think that the stuff you and ivwshane have said in this thread is so absurd I would never attempt to argue with you so I just show you what you look like to me. I don't have any need to convince you of anything nor do I mind that when I act like I think you are, full of spite and rage that you have some rational beef you turn around and say it's me who must be angry. I find both of your spitting vituperation to be comical. It's not like I haven't wasted huge portions of my life in imbecilic rage and don't recognize when I'm seeing it. You just don't seem to have much of a clue about getting over yourselves. Yes, I do miss my clown avatar because I'm sure I'm the biggest one that ever lived. I used to think anger was justified, before I died. Turned out I was just one huge egotistical fuck head, not that I've gotten over it or anything but maybe not as hooked as you seem to be.

Here's something you can put in your pipe and smoke. The world is absolutely perfect. And there you are full of condemnation. There is only one enemy and it is who we imagine ourselves to be. You were blamed in a perfect world, fell under that spell and now blame others. Not one iota of it is justified. There is only the fact of our condition, we are sick and for cause but entirely without anybody being to blame. Everybody that conditioned you was asleep, having been conditioned themselves. Everything you despise in the world is, rather, actually, deserving of pity. Let it go, all of it as best you can.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
W
Living standards? Who the hell do you think was behind skyrocketing housing and education costs? But you are right, your pursuit of profits above all else has led us to enjoying cheap Chinese goods. Thanks./eye roll

As far as putting a man on the moon, nice try but that was courtesy of the greatest generation, that is unless you believe 20 years were responsible for that.

So you blame me for that too. Noice.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I idea that each generation is imbued with a particular set of unique characteristics is silly. People don't change, circumstances do. Put today's kids in a time machine and have them grow up as the children of boomers, and the outcome would have been no different.

One thing is for sure, if you nurture a victim mentality, sooner or later the ones you nurtured are going to come for you, too.

Edit: fixed mistake, was one gen off.

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
moonbeam incorrectly said the solution was medicare. The one company opted to sue the guy instead of going for medicare because they got more money. 500k. I dont think a basic income would cover the charges since the boomers jacked the prices of everything for freedumb.

So Jews, Blacks, all other minorities as well as Whites. Man your hate runs deep, or trolling, mental illness with a combination of all being plausible.

I'm thinking you had an abusive family situation for you to hate your family as much as you do. Maybe they deserved that so you project it onto an entire generation or you are just having fun. As you have said you aren't a good person and I take that one thing as likely true.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
So to attempt to bring this back to the law; does this depend on the law in the state where the parent lives, or the child?

I'm a state where this isn't the law, but my MIL is..

Last edited:

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
I idea that each generation is imbued with a particular set of unique characteristics is silly. People don't change, circumstances do. Put today's kids in a time machine and have them grow up as the children of boomers, and the outcome would have been no different.

One thing is for sure, if you nurture a victim mentality, sooner or later the ones you nurtured are going to come for you, too.

The times make the people and then the people make the times and it has been ever so, but to single out a generation and make all the same and equally responsible is White Supremacist mentality, something the OP and apparently others cling to. Let's see how the "not boomer" generation votes on issues of unprecedented import, chiefly climate. Will they come out in droves to overwhelmingly support radical changes or will they bitch and moan and blame everyone else and thereby becoming "them"?

We'll see.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000

The Cost Of Elder Care
TypeAverageAnnual

This is where the poster points out real problems and hasn't devoted one neuron to any solution he knows or has reasons to know in the context this nation will fix it. He engages in magical thinking that he's better than everyone else, but again this is mental illness, hate, and/or trolling. He must to this because he is compelled to. In truth he is inherently no better than Trump.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
This grates on me, not because I don't like helping family. I was raised with the belief that each successive generation helps the next succeed, but you are not responsible for the one before and after you. It's obvious that these laws need to be killed or revised, but it would take more lawyering than the average person can afford to do it.

My wife and I are working hard and planning for our future, we do not expect to pay for family that could not be bothered to so the same. Thankfully we won't have to. But we know of so many friends and acquaintances that are near retirement that have absolutely no savings, lots of credit card debt, and no plan, and it's baffling because they made decent enough money throughout their lives. They just pissed it all away on stuff they wanted over what they needed.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

The Cost Of Elder Care
TypeAverageAnnual

$239/day? That is the cost of a bed IN an actual hospital.
You are correct, that would be beyond the scope of Basic Income alone.

Medical care also needs tending to, in addition to Basic Income. I am not certain of the exact figures as they'll pan out, but I figure we start by throwing over $2 trillion at the problem and see how it pans out, after some rigorous destruction of the insurance scam and their inflated prices of triple the cost. Cost savings can be found when their tax write off scheme is addressed, drug prices are negotiated, and other "big government" measures are taken. We could fund the construction of facilities as needed, stuff like that.

Medical is a big issue in this country, and the biggest problem it faces is how much more expensive we've made it compared to every other nation. Our results are not good enough to justify the rising costs. There are solution(s) to this uniquely American problem.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
This grates on me, not because I don't like helping family. I was raised with the belief that each successive generation helps the next succeed, but you are not responsible for the one before and after you. It's obvious that these laws need to be killed or revised, but it would take more lawyering than the average person can afford to do it.

My wife and I are working hard and planning for our future, we do not expect to pay for family that could not be bothered to so the same. Thankfully we won't have to. But we know of so many friends and acquaintances that are near retirement that have absolutely no savings, lots of credit card debt, and no plan, and it's baffling because they made decent enough money throughout their lives. They just pissed it all away on stuff they wanted over what they needed.

I was taught that every generation helps the next by caring for them and in turn is helped the younger. If a parent needs help we did what we could but did not sacrifice our own and there are limits to that. What is done and what ought to happen naturally depends on particulars, but apparently all people at or near retirement age are all the same, perhaps you too as we only take age into consideration, not circumstances or choices.

If I had my say I'd start on revamping the care system with more than dog-whistle slogans but the best generation ever doesn't offer educated and inspired solutions that they wouldn't have if the OP had been around back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In no way ever at any time for any reason should there be a law that burdens my or other's descendants with my financial problems. I would rather step in front of a truck first.

In mind, any such attempt is utterly reprehensible, likely unconstitutional and any such bill burned in the street and the authors removed from public service in any capacity forever by any and all legal means.

BTW, I'm a Boomer if you haven't figured that out.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
$239/day? That is the cost of a bed IN an actual hospital.
You are correct, that would be beyond the scope of Basic Income alone.

Medical care also needs tending to, in addition to Basic Income. I am not certain of the exact figures as they'll pan out, but I figure we start by throwing over $2 trillion at the problem and see how it pans out, after some rigorous destruction of the insurance scam and their inflated prices of triple the cost. Cost savings can be found when their tax write off scheme is addressed, drug prices are negotiated, and other "big government" measures are taken. We could fund the construction of facilities as needed, stuff like that.

Medical is a big issue in this country, and the biggest problem it faces is how much more expensive we've made it compared to every other nation. Our results are not good enough to justify the rising costs. There are solution(s) to this uniquely American problem.

First step which could be instituted by this next tax season is to modify the tax code. A sliding scale of tax relief based on income and medical costs incurred could be added to the code with conditions. If you opt out of insurance above a certain to be determined income then there is no relief until that is corrected with a minimum requirement to keep that in force for say, 10 years (again I'm just making up numbers for sake of illustration.

Say you have 20K in expenses, are insured, and make 75k? How about a cap amounts of 1k per person or 2k per family. Otherwise we might have 100% tax forgiveness on the amount due. Naturally if you are one of these Boomers who are all filthy rich then they are on the hook entirely. Trump will cry. People in between TBD.

In the meantime increase the tax rate on the Evil Boomer and the wealthy whiners of younger ages as AOC suggests.

Then a 5 year or so process of research, analysis, testing and development on a major scale (billions not millions) spent on a scientific determination of how to best deploy changes on a regional scale.

Unfortunately brain power has not increased over the years so I expect that to show.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
So they boinked the world's climate. dumped pills in thier kids mouths instead of raising them. Bilked their kids with higher edu costs. Blew up the housing prices. Blew up social security and now they will force you to pay for their end of life care.

Hopefully this changes or a lot of us are gonna get yet another speed bump in life due to the aging boomers who didnt save money.

Worst. generation. ever.

I guess OP is mad because he'll have to pay for his parents' medical care where as a true progressive believer what he really wanted was for Uncle Sam to force him to pay more taxes so he could pay for the care of people he doesn't even know through welfare payments. Those poors deserve it more than his mom and dad in his view.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I guess OP is mad because he'll have to pay for his parents' medical care where as a true progressive believer what he really wanted was for Uncle Sam to force him to pay more taxes so he could pay for the care of people he doesn't even know through welfare payments. Those poors deserve it more than his mom and dad in his view.

im not replying to all the responses because I dont have time but your the last one so.,,

my mom and dad deserve it as much as "the poors". And my taxes will go to that welfare just like yours. It is a measured amount that I can plan for. Getting a random bill from some shit medical company for 500k isnt my idea of a measured amount. Do you think this law should be repealed? If not why?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
im not replying to all the responses because I dont have time but your the last one so.,,

my mom and dad deserve it as much as "the poors". And my taxes will go to that welfare just like yours. It is a measured amount that I can plan for. Getting a random bill from some shit medical company for 500k isnt my idea of a measured amount. Do you think this law should be repealed? If not why?

They're state laws not federal so why are you asking my opinion about laws not pertinent to me? And if you as their children aren't going to pay for the bills they rung up for medical care provided to them in good faith, then those deadbeat parents of yours should become the legal property of those who are owed money to use as slave labor, harvesting of organs, or any other way they can recoup some of the losses from them. You should probably be publicly shamed yourself for not supporting your parents in their time of need by having your face put on a billboard or something.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Sounds great to me. I can spend all of the money I earned to enjoy retirement life and then when I have to go to the home my kid will have pay for it. I guess that's payback for the cost of raising the kids. I just need to move to one of those states that has the law.

dumped pills in thier kids mouths instead of raising them.

I'm pretty sure that's the millennials era. That's one reason kids are screwed up these days.

Last edited: