The film "300" ... no mention of gayness, why ?? unless im mistaken, historically they were all gay?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

andy9o

May 27, 2005
Originally posted by: GrantMeThePower
Many of the greeks did have that practice, but the Spartans did not.

EDIT- And the movie DID in fact address this early on when Leonidis made a speech. I don't recall the exact words, but IIRC, it was when the messanger was there he made a reference to other city states that did do that and the reference was made with insult and sarcasm.

"300's Persians are ahistorical monsters and freaks. Xerxes is eight feet tall, clad chiefly in body piercings and garishly made up, but not disfigured. No need ? it is strongly implied Xerxes is homosexual which, in the moral universe of 300, qualifies him for special freakhood. This is ironic given that pederasty was an obligatory part of a Spartan's education. This was a frequent target of Athenian comedy, wherein the verb "to Spartanize" meant "to ah heck." In 300, Greek pederasty is, naturally, Athenian."

http://www.thestar.com/article/190493

Of course, the real point is, its a work of fiction.

DannyLove

Lifer
Oct 17, 2000
Originally posted by: neomits
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: purbeast0
300 the movie was based on the Graphic Novel called 300 and nothing else.

It is not a fvcking documentary and is not based on actual factual events.

If you had seen the movie and are asking about why they weren't gay, why didn't you question the 50 feet tall elephants? Or the donkey animal in the bar. Or the guy with axes for arms?

People need to stop overanalyzing this fvcking movie and enjoy it for what it is - a movie based on a comic book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_(comic_book)

/thread

qft

seriously... more like
</thread>

locutus12

Oct 13, 2005
Originally posted by: purbeast0
300 the movie was based on the Graphic Novel called 300 and nothing else.

It is not a fvcking documentary and is not based on actual factual events.

If you had seen the movie and are asking about why they weren't gay, why didn't you question the 50 feet tall elephants? Or the donkey animal in the bar. Or the guy with axes for arms?

People need to stop overanalyzing this fvcking movie and enjoy it for what it is - a movie based on a comic book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_(comic_book)

/thread

i said loosely based, i didnt say it was a documentary, every film and indeed every graphic novel of this type has some historical leanings. I read the sandman graphic novels and although total works of fiction they contain references to historical events and im always interested to see if modern media portrays these influences seriously, i have been ever since i saw "Alexander" which although supposedly based on Alexander the greats life was more of a work of fiction than the 300.

and indeed i did enjoy it, its a truly monumental piece of camera work and writing, but theres nothing wrong with analysing what ive been watching. Although ive come to realise i totally screwed up the nationality of the band of thebes in my question, the initial point still stands and heres why:

300's Persians are ahistorical monsters and freaks. Xerxes is eight feet tall, clad chiefly in body piercings and garishly made up, but not disfigured. No need ? it is strongly implied Xerxes is homosexual which, in the moral universe of 300, qualifies him for special freakhood. This is ironic given that pederasty was an obligatory part of a Spartan's education. This was a frequent target of Athenian comedy, wherein the verb "to Spartanize" meant "to ah heck." - Ephraim Lytle, assistant professor of hellenistic history at the University of Toronto