The film "300" ... no mention of gayness, why ?? unless im mistaken, historically they were all gay?

locutus12

Oct 13, 2005
im a little confused, ive just seen the film 300, now i know there are those of you out there that dont like gay people and think there all limp wristed girls but hear me out. it was my understanding that 300 was losely based on the sacred band of thebes final battle.

the sacred band of thebes was a troop of 300 soldiers all of whom were couples, the idea being that they would fight HARDER to protect their lover. and it worked. They were undefeated untill their final battle in which they were Vastly out numberd but history records that those 300 stood their ground against impossible odds.

"The Sacred Band originally was formed of picked men in couples, each lover with his beloved, selected from the ranks of the existing Theban citizen-army. The pairs consisted of the older "heniochoi", or charioteers, and the younger "paraibatai", or companions. They were housed and trained at the city?s expense.[3] During their early engagements, in an attempt to bolster a general morale, they were dispersed by their commander Gorgidas throughout the front ranks of the Theban army.

After the Theban general Pelopidas recaptured the acropolis of Thebes in 379 BC, he assumed command of the Sacred Band in which he fought alongside his good friend, Epaminondas. It was Pelopidas who formed these couples into a distinct unit: he ?never separated or scattered them, but would stand [them with himself in] the brunt of battle, using them as one body.?[4] They became, in effect, the ?crack? force of Greek soldiery [5], and the forty years of their known existence (378 ? 338 BC) marked the pre-eminence of Thebes as a military and political power in late-classical Greece."

discuss, or indeed if your a history teacher please correct / inform me if im confusing something here :)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
300 the movie was based on the Graphic Novel called 300 and nothing else.

It is not a fvcking documentary and is not based on actual factual events.

If you had seen the movie and are asking about why they weren't gay, why didn't you question the 50 feet tall elephants? Or the donkey animal in the bar. Or the guy with axes for arms?

People need to stop overanalyzing this fvcking movie and enjoy it for what it is - a movie based on a comic book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/300_(comic_book)

/thread

GrantMeThePower

Platinum Member
Jun 10, 2005
Many of the greeks did have that practice, but the Spartans did not.

EDIT- And the movie DID in fact address this early on when Leonidis made a speech. I don't recall the exact words, but IIRC, it was when the messanger was there he made a reference to other city states that did do that and the reference was made with insult and sarcasm.

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
actually, Leonidas (sp?) does make a reference to the, i believe he says, "Boy lovers." i don't remember what faction he was refering to though. thebans mabye? And i think that thing you quoted is referring to a different conflict...

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
They made at least 2 references to homosexuality. Did you even watch the movie?

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Just watch the movie or at the very least read the synopsis. Don't make yourself out to be more of a moron than you already are.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's just the standard procedure of rewriting history to make homosexual's accepted by society.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
it's part of the vast heterosexual conspiracy that aidanjm keeps complaining about

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: GrantMeThePower
Many of the greeks did have that practice, but the Spartans did not.

EDIT- And the movie DID in fact address this early on when Leonidis made a speech. I don't recall the exact words, but IIRC, it was when the messanger was there he made a reference to other city states that did do that and the reference was made with insult and sarcasm.
This professor disagrees link

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
You are mistaken. I clearly remember the captain saying (when referring to the 300 Spartans), "...all with born sons to their names". If they were gay, how could they have had sons? I doubt they had an adoption program.

fallenangel99

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
You noticed the lack of homosexuality but fail to mention the ogres or the fact that Persians were portrayed as black? Hmm, I'm sure they had Ogres back in the day!!

Nov 3, 2004
actually, i think they were bisexual, at the most. Lots of homosexual behavior, but it was not a gay society, if i believe correctly

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: purbeast0

If you had seen the movie and are asking about why they weren't gay, why didn't you question the 50 feet tall elephants? Or the donkey animal in the bar. Or the guy with axes for arms?

People need to stop overanalyzing this fvcking movie and enjoy it for what it is - a movie based on a comic book.

/thread

qft

Abe Froman

Golden Member
Dec 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Hyperlite
actually, Leonidas (sp?) does make a reference to the, i believe he says, "Boy lovers." i don't remember what faction he was refering to though. thebans mabye? And i think that thing you quoted is referring to a different conflict...

He made reference to the Athenians as being Boy Lovers.

neomits

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: purbeast0

/thread

qft