The "Faces" of the GOP

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fallout man

Golden Member
Nov 20, 2007
Good! I hate john edwards for making flat pool intakes illegal (due to his many law suits) Now my Kreepy Krawley can't get past the elevated intakes and I have to manually vaccum pool or pay a guy $100 a month.

Don't blame the guy--he was just looking out for your ass.

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
In a few more months, he's going to say that he has been completely cure of his gayness.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Do we KNOW he is gay yet? Has he come out and said it or someone proved anything other than him being there? Of course its likely he IS.. but.. But again I'll point out that you are saying he is 'damaging' gay people by his votes but not damaging society and risking LIVES by driving drunk? Being a hypocrite doesn't kill people.

Again, if this is the worst Republicans can do, I guess thats pretty good. I assume you'll continue to ignore the Democrats swindling $$$ from taxpayers like Charlie Rangel, David Paterson, Diane Feinstein, just to name a few. But I guess they are just screwing American taxpayers.. not members of the same sex.. I guess thats OK..

Damn, you gonna build that strawman to the stars protecting your precious GOPeepers!

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
More straw men? JFC, you're pathetic. :rolleyes:

Least he didn't pull a BoberFett and break out the bigot card.

So what he's an anti-gay politician, mentioning his homosexuality and hypocrisy makes you a bigot!

Ahhhh, still cracks me up...

I think Poctello is right. He'll go hang out at Ted Haggard's clinic of choice, and within a few weeks will have teh gay automagically Jesused out of him. Praise the LAWD!

Nov 30, 2006
Least he didn't pull a BoberFett and break out the bigot card.

So what he's an anti-gay politician, mentioning his homosexuality and hypocrisy makes you a bigot!

Ahhhh, still cracks me up...

I think Poctello is right. He'll go hang out at Ted Haggard's clinic of choice, and within a few weeks will have teh gay automagically Jesused out of him. Praise the LAWD!
And you aren't a bigot? Pleeeease.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
And you aren't a bigot? Pleeeease.

I love watching you wingnuts cling desperately to your delusions. Never gets old!

Pretty sure I'm not, what with the whole voting for gay marriage thing. I'll have to get confirmation from my gay neighbors the next time the wife and I have them over for dinner though. Such scathingly insightful commentary from posters like you really makes a guy reevaluate his positions.

lol, thanks for adding Bober's brand of stupid to your already established record of fail. Good stuff!

Nov 30, 2006
I love watching you wingnuts cling desperately to your delusions. Never gets old!

Pretty sure I'm not, what with the whole voting for gay marriage thing. I'll have to get confirmation from my gay neighbors the next time the wife and I have them over for dinner though. Such scathingly insightful commentary from posters like you really makes a guy reevaluate his positions.

lol, thanks for adding Bober's brand of stupid to your already established record of fail. Good stuff!
"Jesused out of him. Praise the LAWD!" And it looks like you're dense to boot.

Patranus

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2007
Democratic Rep. Eric Massa will resign from Congress on Monday, only days after reports first surfaced that the freshman New York lawmaker was under investigation by the House ethics committee for allegedly sexually harassing a male staffer.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0310/34001.html

Being gay vs sexually harassing your employees.
I thought "progressives" were accepting of alternative life styles :rolleyes:
I guess that is only if that person agrees with their "progressive" agenda.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I'm curious, name three - Barney Frank (not really that big a scandal, his boyfriend did wrong pretty much behind his back IIRC) and what two others?

And financial scandals seem more equal opportunity in office (Republicans do seem worse before office).

George W. Bush alone had several financial scandals before becoming president.
Mm, Barney Frank was leaning on the locals to fix parking tickets for his boyfiend's clients - hardly a disinterested party. Besides him, remember Gerry Studds having sex with a minor page, including taking him to South America on an official junket? He stood with his back to the Speaker as he was censured by the Democrat House that then gave him a standing ovation the next time he returned to the House floor. (Evidently buggering young boys is considered a brave accomplishment by Democrats unless one is a Catholic priest.) Remember Jim McGreevey having gay affairs AND rewarding his lovers with state jobs? I'll admit though that the bar is way higher on Democrat gay sex scandals because Dems generally don't seriously pretend to have morals and their constituencies are unlikely to punish them simply for infidelity, even gay infidelity. Oops, almost forgot Carl Stanley McGee, Deval Patrick's assistant secretary for policy and planning. An openly gay man, his little arrest wouldn't have been a scandal except that the handsome stranger he allegedly blew in the Gasparilla Inn sauna turned out to be a fifteen year-old boy. Double dang, also forgot to include Representative Massa, who just announced his resignation because of the ongoing ethics investigation for alleged sexual harassment of a male staffer.

But you do have a point - Democrats are more commonly involved in scandals with underage girls (such as Mel "I've hit the lottery" Reynolds, Freddie Richmond, George Rogers, Wayne Bryant, Neil Goldschmidt, and David Giles) and financial corruption (Dan Walker, Don Siegelman, Robert Torricelli, Dan Rostenkowski, John Celona, Mario Biaggi, Lee Alexander, Henry Cianfranni, Charles Diggs, Otto Kerner, Alcee Hastings, Raymond Lederer, Frank Thompson, Harrison Williams, Mike Myers, and Johns Jenrette and Murphy, not to mention Algore and the whole DNC in the '96 election cycle.)

Neither party has a monopoly on morality or the lack thereof.

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
He's GAY, Jim, GAY. Really, really GAY. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

His going way, way out of his way to be big flaming HYPOCRITE? That kind of sucks the big, hairy hard one, though.

http://www.salon.com/life/lgbt/index.html?story=/politics/war_room/2010/03/08/ashburn

During his time in California's Senate, Roy Ashburn voted against every single gay rights measure that came up. That made the story of his arrest two weeks ago -- he was pulled over for drunk driving after leaving a gay bar, and he had another man in the car with him -- more than a little interesting.

On Monday, Ashburn admitted to what everyone had pretty much figured out now.

"I'm gay," he said in a radio interview. "Those are the words that have been so difficult for me for so long." The Sacramento Bee's Capitol Alert blog reports that Ashburn explained that he voted the way he did on gay rights because he felt that's what the voters of his district wanted.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Awwww he put the will of his voter-base over his personal needs and preferences and ideology.

what a great republican!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Awwww he put the will of his voter-base over his personal needs and preferences and ideology.

what a great republican!

I like the idea that he would place his constituents' preferences above his own. I suspect that his desire for power and its attendant wealth figure above his constituency's desires though. To be honest, he should be advocating for these things he apparently believes even if voting against them to follow his constituents' desires. A Congressman should be a representative, but also a leader and an advocate for what he believes.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
In Bizzaro Homophobe world:
OMG!!!!! This politician was seen leaving a GAY bar with SOMEONE in the car with him. You KNOW what that MEANS!! He is GAY!!! GAY!!!!!!!

In a reasonable world: a driver was stopped by the cops because they think he was leaving a bar. It happens a lot around where I live. Did the cops run the licence plates and made a big deal of this because the driver was a politician? The driver had someone in the car with him which is not unusual. I regularly have a passenger in my car.

Bizarro Homophobe world sucks.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
In Bizzaro Homophobe world:
OMG!!!!! This politician was seen leaving a GAY bar with SOMEONE in the car with him. You KNOW what that MEANS!! He is GAY!!! GAY!!!!!!!

In a reasonable world: a driver was stopped by the cops because they think he was leaving a bar. It happens a lot around where I live. Did the cops run the licence plates and made a big deal of this because the driver was a politician? The driver had someone in the car with him which is not unusual. I regularly have a passenger in my car.

Bizarro Homophobe world sucks.
Umm, he was leaving a gay bar with a man in the car - and he's admitted that he is gay. I suppose you could make a case that assuming a man leaving a gay bar with another man is himself gay is a stretch (he might have picked up a gay friend, after all) but I don't think that saying a man who says he is gay is in fact gay is homophobic. I suppose you could argue that Perknose was jumping the gun in charging the man with homosexuality (although we were all thinking it) but, considering that he was right, hardly homophobic.

It's undeniably worse that he was driving drunk - but considering his voting record, it's also undeniably funnier that he was caught riding the baloney pony.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
There are two problems with his behavior.

As all too often with Republicans, there is the pursuit of power based on deceipt. A gay man found that by being a leader against gay equality, by furthering the deception as he married a woman, had four children with her, that he could get power. Forget the principles that he as a gay man 'had' to deceive about his sexual orietnation, be an Uncle Tom, to get elected. Forget him standing up for right instead of selling out. It's not just gays selling out gays, it's the middle class selling out the middle class, it's the selling out to the religious right, to the corporatocracy, all kinids of selling out of the public as well.

The second was his reckless, selfish act of driving drunk - something too many do, Republicans (remember George Bush), Democrats, celebrities, housewives, elderly and young, all over.

The test, though, is how voters weigh this against his political attributes.

For me, I strongly oppose drunk drivers, and would vote against most people over it, but I admit I'd vote for some people weighing their benefits as leaders above their terrible behavior.

If I were voting today, and it were Al Gore who had the drunk driving arrest and not Bush, I'd stil vote for Gore over Bush, because of the big benefits of his policies. I'd strongly condemn his behavior, though.

It's not an issue of 'liking him so forgetting his drunk driving', it's an issue of looking at the harm to the nationand the world of Bush and asking if putting him in office is justified over it.

I'd be a lot more likely to vote against anyone in a pimary over it, though. It'd be infuriating to vote for a candidate who did that. It's the same major irresponsibility for anyone however good they are on policy.

These tough choices come up. Who would not let Thomas Jefferson be President over his slave scandal? Who would not want JFK as president over his adultery? Some, but few I expect.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
There are two problems with his behavior.

As all too often with Republicans, there is the pursuit of power based on deceipt. A gay man found that by being a leader against gay equality, by furthering the deception as he married a woman, had four children with her, that he could get power. Forget the principles that he as a gay man 'had' to deceive about his sexual orietnation, be an Uncle Tom, to get elected. Forget him standing up for right instead of selling out. It's not just gays selling out gays, it's the middle class selling out the middle class, it's the selling out to the religious right, to the corporatocracy, all kinids of selling out of the public as well.

The second was his reckless, selfish act of driving drunk - something too many do, Republicans (remember George Bush), Democrats, celebrities, housewives, elderly and young, all over.

The test, though, is how voters weigh this against his political attributes.

For me, I strongly oppose drunk drivers, and would vote against most people over it, but I admit I'd vote for some people weighing their benefits as leaders above their terrible behavior.

If I were voting today, and it were Al Gore who had the drunk driving arrest and not Bush, I'd stil vote for Gore over Bush, because of the big benefits of his policies. I'd strongly condemn his behavior, though.

It's not an issue of 'liking him so forgetting his drunk driving', it's an issue of looking at the harm to the nationand the world of Bush and asking if putting him in office is justified over it.

I'd be a lot more likely to vote against anyone in a pimary over it, though. It'd be infuriating to vote for a candidate who did that. It's the same major irresponsibility for anyone however good they are on policy.

These tough choices come up. Who would not let Thomas Jefferson be President over his slave scandal? Who would not want JFK as president over his adultery? Some, but few I expect.

Typical progressive. Ends justify the means. Obama could have been the head guard at Auschwitz and you would say that you would still have voted for him because of his policies. The only time the left hold their own to any standards is when they need to force them out of office like Rep. Eric Massa, and thats only to push the Healthcare agenda through. AMAZING how that works.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Typical progressive. Ends justify the means. Obama could have been the head guard at Auschwitz and you would say that you would still have voted for him because of his policies. The only time the left hold their own to any standards is when they need to force them out of office like Rep. Eric Massa, and thats only to push the Healthcare agenda through. AMAZING how that works.

More hyperbole and less facts. Typical Fear No Evil.

Feb 16, 2005
cliffs
asshole votes against gay rights to appease his base and make sure the $$ keep rolling in, while secretly taking it in the ass.
He's a hypocrite, like many, many other politicians. The irony tastes nutty...