The "Faces" of the GOP

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Anti-Gay Lawmaker At Gay Club Before DUI Arrest

Sources tell CBS13 a state senator from Southern California was arrested for allegedly driving drunk after leaving Faces, a gay nightclub in midtown Sacramento, early Wednesday morning.

The California Highway Patrol pulled over Senator Roy Ashburn at 2:00 a.m. Wednesday after an officer noticed a black Chevy Tahoe swerving at 13th and L Streets.

Ashburn, a father of four, is a Republican Senator representing parts of Kern, Tulare and San Bernardino Counties with a history of opposing gay rights

When the officer stopped the state-issued vehicle, the driver identified himself as Senator Ashburn. He was arrested without incident and charged with two misdemeanors: driving under the influence and driving with a blood alcohol level higher than .08% or higher.

:eek: A male passenger, who was not identified as a lawmaker, was also in the car but was not detained. :eek:

Ashburn was booked into the Sacramento County Jail and released on $1,400 bond.

Ashburn issued a statement on the arrest Wednesday afternoon:

"I am deeply sorry for my actions and offer no excuse for my poor judgment. I accept complete responsibility for my conduct and am prepared to accept the consequences for what I did. I am also truly sorry for the impact this incident will have on those who support and trust me – my family, my constituents, my friends, and my colleagues in the Senate."

Ashburn served six years as a state Assemblyman before being elected to the State Senate. According to Project Vote Smart, Ashburn's voting record shows he has voted against every gay rights measure in the State Senate since taking office including Recognizing Out-Of-State Same-Sex Marriages", Harvey Milk Day and Expanding Anti-Discrimination Laws.
http://cbs13.com/local/ashburn.arrest.dui.2.1534505.html

Lol @ the name of the club he drunkenly stumbled out of @ 2am with his male "friend": Faces. :awe:

Anyone sensing a deep-seated pattern of Republican sexual hypocrisy here?

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
It is pretty funny, but hypocrites come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and political affiliations.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
It is pretty funny, but hypocrites come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and political affiliations.

Too true, dat, way too true.

I'm just amazed at the ever burgeoning ranks of THIS particular brand of 'flaming' hypocrite.

There simply seems to be a fabulously fierce array of duly elected bonesmokers who only take that cock out of their mouth long enough to demonize and persecute their fellow sack munchers. And they're all Republicans, the party of Leviticus and personal responsibility!

Go figure!

Be it an airport men's rooms stall or the deliciously named Faces, they appear to be everywhere! And these are just the few who get caught!

Why is that, do you think?

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
To echo a poster in Off Topic, I hope the next generation of politicians don't feel the need to gay bash in public and live the lifestyle in private.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Its pretty interesting that the libs here find it more offensive that he was anti-gay and at a gay club than putting people's lives at risk by getting a DUI. I'm guessing he voted for some laws regarding DUI's as well. But yes, lets rip the guy for being a bigot and ignore that he could have killed people.. Anything to advance the agenda I guess..

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Its pretty interesting that the libs here find it more offensive that he was anti-gay and at a gay club than putting people's lives at risk by getting a DUI. I'm guessing he voted for some laws regarding DUI's as well. But yes, lets rip the guy for being a bigot and ignore that he could have killed people.. Anything to advance the agenda I guess..
I don't find it offensive, I find it humorous.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

There is no information in the article about him voting for DUI laws. The CA DUI laws have been on the books since before he was elected to office. But DUI laws are non-controversial. Gay rights are. The real issue with the DUI is he *broke the law*. It's hypocritical for any elected official to break the law, or indeed for anyone to break the law unless they've come out against a particular law. Of course it's offensive, but that kind of story is rather commonplace. What is more interesting here is that he votes to harm a class of people to which he belongs, while he pretends not to belong.

Why do you suppose he has voted against gay rights while being gay himself?

- wolf

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

I'm just amazed at the ever burgeoning ranks of THIS particular brand of 'flaming' hypocrite.

There simply seems to be a fabulously fierce array of duly elected bonesmokers who only take that cock out of their mouth long enough to demonize and persecute their fellow sack munchers. And they're all Republicans, the party of Leviticus and personal responsibility!

Go figure!

Be it an airport men's rooms stall or the deliciously named Faces, they appear to be everywhere! And these are just the few who get caught!

This. Men who lust for both power and cock should move to a more permissive state and/or district where they can openly seek both.

I'm old enough to remember when Democrats had the gay sex scandals and Republicans had the tax evasion/bribe taking scandals. My, how things have changed.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
This. Men who lust for both power and cock should move to a more permissive state and/or district where they can openly seek both.

I'm old enough to remember when Democrats had the gay sex scandals

I'm curious, name three - Barney Frank (not really that big a scandal, his boyfriend did wrong pretty much behind his back IIRC) and what two others?

and Republicans had the tax evasion/bribe taking scandals. My, how things have changed.

And financial scandals seem more equal opportunity in office (Republicans do seem worse before office).

George W. Bush alone had several financial scandals before becoming president.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Go figure!

I'm buying self hate for a quarter.

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
There is no information in the article about him voting for DUI laws. The CA DUI laws have been on the books since before he was elected to office. But DUI laws are non-controversial. Gay rights are. The real issue with the DUI is he *broke the law*. It's hypocritical for any elected official to break the law, or indeed for anyone to break the law unless they've come out against a particular law. Of course it's offensive, but that kind of story is rather commonplace. What is more interesting here is that he votes to harm a class of people to which he belongs, while he pretends not to belong.

Why do you suppose he has voted against gay rights while being gay himself?

- wolf

Do we KNOW he is gay yet? Has he come out and said it or someone proved anything other than him being there? Of course its likely he IS.. but.. But again I'll point out that you are saying he is 'damaging' gay people by his votes but not damaging society and risking LIVES by driving drunk? Being a hypocrite doesn't kill people.

Again, if this is the worst Republicans can do, I guess thats pretty good. I assume you'll continue to ignore the Democrats swindling $$$ from taxpayers like Charlie Rangel, David Paterson, Diane Feinstein, just to name a few. But I guess they are just screwing American taxpayers.. not members of the same sex.. I guess thats OK..

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Do we KNOW he is gay yet? Has he come out and said it or someone proved anything other than him being there? Of course its likely he IS.. but.. But again I'll point out that you are saying he is 'damaging' gay people by his votes but not damaging society and risking LIVES by driving drunk? Being a hypocrite doesn't kill people.

Straw man alert. I never said he wasn't damaging society by driving drunk. Reading comprehension FAIL.

- wolf

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Straw man alert. I never said he wasn't damaging society by driving drunk. Reading comprehension FAIL.

- wolf

Your LACK of mentioning it says something as well.. as long as everyone else posting in the thread here and in OT.. But we've come to expect stuff like this from the left. Faux Outrage. You should be celebrating his willingness to openly show his pride. :D Party of tolerance.. :rolleyes:

Of course, we'll just ignore that being gay and voting against things like gay marriage isn't really being hypocritical.. If he was trying to get married, then yes.. But, continue on with the faux 'rage.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
There are so many state Congresspersons in all 50 states some examples of bizarre or inappropriate conduct by some is bound to happen, so I'd be a little reluctant to broadly generalize such conduct.

If he's in the closet I'd guess the press will follow up, otherwise jumping to the conclusion that he's gay or bi because there was another guy in the car is "jumping to conclusions". Just sayin.

I wonder how they know he was at that bar? Where he was spotted driving erratically was about 7 or 8 blocks away from the club's listed address. Do the cops there target gay bars waiting for people to leave and then follow them hoping to get a bust? (Around here the cops sit around all the bars and do that - drinking at home FTW!)

Maybe the gay rights group are 'lobbying' him :)

Fern

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
There are so many state Congresspersons in all 50 states some examples of bizarre or inappropriate conduct by some is bound to happen, so I'd be a little reluctant to broadly generalize such conduct.

If he's in the closet I'd guess the press will follow up, otherwise jumping to the conclusion that he's gay or bi because there was another guy in the car is "jumping to conclusions". Just sayin.

I wonder how they know he was at that bar? Where he was spotted driving erratically was about 7 or 8 blocks away from the club's listed address. Do the cops there target gay bars waiting for people to leave and then follow them hoping to get a bust? (Around here the cops sit around all the bars and do that - drinking at home FTW!)

Maybe the gay rights group are 'lobbying' him :)

Fern

The usual way this happens is tracking people exiting bars after a certain hour. Doesn't matter whether the bar is gay or straight so far as I know. It just happened to be a gay bar on this occasion.

You seriously think that someone who comes out of a gay bar late a night, drunk, with a man in tow, is not gay or bi? Of course, there is always the tiniest chance that there is an explanation for this, or that the reporting is simply inaccurate. But if we adhere to a standard of 100% certainly in every news item we discuss, we won't be discussing much.

- wolf

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Oh my...maybe er "research":p

Seriously this dude probably wants to crawl in a brown hole about now.:p