The *erratic mouse* problem - what to do?

Bacchus

Jul 2, 2000
I think I've exhausted my laundry list of tentative fixes for my erratic mouse problem. My specs are as follows:

W2K
Viewsonic G810 @ 1600x1200 (70 Hz refresh)
Visiontek GeForce 3
MS IntelliMouse Optical (USB)

I've tried different resolutions (from 800 to 1024 to 1600), maxed out my refresh rate (now at 70 Hz), checked tentative IRQ conflicts (..then remembering that I have W2K, which assigns them to the same IRQ - so shouldn't be an issue, right??), removed the mouse and reinstalled the device, etc.

Laugh if you must, but I *even* tried the MS Knowledge Base files (hey, sometimes a guy can get lucky and find a nugget of gold there). Simply put, I've exhausted everything I can think of. I'm at my wit's end. Has anybody (a) ever had this problem; and/or (b) know what else I can troubleshoot to eliminate it? My thanks in advance.

Shudder

Platinum Member
May 5, 2000
I don't know if I know exactly what you're talking about with an erratic mouse. Erratic on the screen or erratic in itself? If it's itself, it's probably possessed and your local pastor can probably perform an exorcism, though it may just be worth it to get a new one.

First I would see what MB you have. If it's a Via, get the latest 4-in-1 drivers (I believe it's 4.31, may be 4.32) to potentially resolve any USB conflicts that via may have not worked out in previous versions.

Service Pack 2 if you don't already have it.

And for the mouse itself, I get my best luck by turning OFF mouse accelleration. Just go by raw speed, leave accell off.

And finally, don't use a mirror for your surface if that's what you're using now :D

Bacchus

Jul 2, 2000
Thanks for the reply, Shudder.

What I'm referring to specifically -- is the erratic movement of my mouse whenever I move it, whether it be in my browser, my desktop, etc. It does not move smoothly, but rather, jumps up and down slightly.

My MB is an Asus P4T; brand-spanking-new, with the new BIOS & Intel chipset software utility. The USB 4in1 drivers you speak of are not required w/this MB evidently.

Yes, I do have SP2 installed (for W2K) - and my mouse acceleration is turned off.

Ergo....I'm stumped. Any other suggestions or things I can troubleshoot?

btw...what is this boards substitution for <a href=> </a> ? I'd like to post a link to my PC specifications....

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
You put a:
L=My Text for the link
between brackets.
Then put the http address, then at the end put a /L between brackets. I'll do one for you, as an example.

My Rigs

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
BTW, your link doesn't work. Try this one instead.

Have you tried plugging your mouse into the PS/2 port for it with the USB-to-PS/2 adapter?

Bacchus

Jul 2, 2000
jliechty: thanks for your patience -- and the link tutelage! :)

As far as the USB-to-PS/2, that's one I hadn't thought of. I'll try that one now. Thanks again!

nicowju

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2001
What kind of surface are you using the mouse on? The opticals don't like glass-lik eor clear surfaces. Preferrably a dark mousepad or a solid table

Bacchus

Jul 2, 2000
Nico: I'm using it on a lacquered pine surface. I also tested it on a legitimate mousepad surface - with the same results.