The Erie Canal

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Rubycon
The Erie Canal Anyone been?

I've never been down it. I've crossed over it a half dozen times.

HOWEVER, I did have to sing that song in sixth grade music class, 5,000 times!

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
yup, as a field trip in my elementary school days. I lived only a few minutes away from one of the locks.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Wow...that brings back some memories. When I was in the 4th grade, we made a field trip from Springfield, Mass to Lockport and Tonowanda New York to see the canal and some of the museums dedicated to it. (we had been studying it in history class. That would have been about 1962-63...it was a BIG event for us, and everyone's parents had to chip in something like $15.00 for the trip...My folks made me work to earn most of it by mowing lawns and such...

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt
Miami & Erie Canal

ZV

Nice!

I wish it wasn't so small. ;)

Originally posted by: Squisher

I've never been down it. I've crossed over it a half dozen times.

HOWEVER, I did have to sing that song in sixth grade music class, 5,000 times!

Yeah that's a classic along with On Top Of Spaghetti but that gives me nightmares about faulty ceiling fans. ;)

Originally posted by: Tiamat
yup, as a field trip in my elementary school days. I lived only a few minutes away from one of the locks.

Speaking of locks I wondered how water tight they are. I guess as long as you can pump faster than you leak out. :Q

Originally posted by: BoomerD
Wow...that brings back some memories. When I was in the 4th grade, we made a field trip from Springfield, Mass to Lockport and Tonowanda New York to see the canal and some of the museums dedicated to it. (we had been studying it in history class. That would have been about 1962-63...it was a BIG event for us, and everyone's parents had to chip in something like $15.00 for the trip...My folks made me work to earn most of it by mowing lawns and such...

That was a LOT of greenbacks way back then! :Q