The Episcopal Church Approves Religious Weddings For Gays

MatSm

May 24, 2015
The bishops of the Episcopal Church have authorized their clergy to perform same-sex weddings, but don’t expect sweeping changes across the entire denomination anytime soon. Episcopalians voted Wednesday to allow religious weddings for gay couples, but not every priest will necessarily officiate at a same-sex wedding.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...scopal-church-is-still-debating-gay-marriage/

"If a man lies with a man as he lies with a woman, both have committed an abomination".What about this? What do these bishops think about this Biblical text? The Christians who support LGBT are not true Christians. Shame on you. People like you are the reason so many Americans turned away from Christianity and decided to be nontheistic.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The bishops of the Episcopal Church have authorized their clergy to perform same-sex weddings, but don’t expect sweeping changes across the entire denomination anytime soon. Episcopalians voted Wednesday to allow religious weddings for gay couples, but not every priest will necessarily officiate at a same-sex wedding.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...scopal-church-is-still-debating-gay-marriage/

"If a man lies with a man as he lies with a woman, both have committed an abomination".What about this? What do these bishops think about this Biblical text? The Christians who support LGBT are not true Christians. Shame on you. People like you are the reason so many Americans turned away from Christianity and decided to be nontheistic.

That is almost the complete opposite of Reality. Atheists that left Theism have done so for a variety of reasons, but not because more Liberal Christians choose Love of neighbour over Judgement of neighbour. In fact, the very Christians that will welcome LGBT people in their midst will be the most respected Christians among most(probably) Atheists.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
"If a man lies with a man as he lies with a woman, both have committed an abomination".

What that verse really means is that if a man says " Yes dear, you look pretty in that dress" to another man. Like he would to his wife.
Then both of them have committed an abomination

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
That last sentence. LOL. Majority of people turn away from Christianity because they realize it's a work of fiction.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
In fact, the very Christians that will welcome LGBT people in their midst will be the most respected Christians among most(probably) Atheists.

I can say my Church welcomes all comers regardless of orientation, sex, color drug abuser, drunkard, etc... But we also subscribe to the Word of God and in this case St Paul's writings in Romans I. There is no incongruity to us. We hope all come to our faith in God recognizing our love for all while condemning the sin.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

What about these biblical texts?

"Six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you shall have a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death."

"While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation. They put him in custody, because it had not been made clear what should be done to him. And the Lord said to Moses, “The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” And all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death with stones, as the Lord commanded Moses. ..."

LOTS of people work on Sunday so are you already collecting stones for this upcoming weekend? Maybe start at the hospitals and kill all the doctors and nurses and then move on to the grocery stores and gas stations?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Good for the Episcopal church. It will really be news though with the Southern Baptists or Catholics approve it from a religious perspective.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
^Sabbath may not be Sunday. Just saying. Most Christians do not take that portion literally. It's an emphasis of how important a day of rest (and worship) is.

Let's not start a Christian bashing thread.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
^Sabbath may not be Sunday. Just saying. Most Christians do not take that portion literally. It's an emphasis of how important a day of rest (and worship) is.

Let's not start a Christian bashing thread.

Right, let's bring down the wrath of God on America because it works on the the holy day. And you probably didn't know that Paul got misguoted in the Bible. It was hydrosexuals, folk who fuck around in water that he intended to condem.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I can say my Church welcomes all comers regardless of orientation, sex, color drug abuser, drunkard, etc... But we also subscribe to the Word of God and in this case St Paul's writings in Romans I. There is no incongruity to us. We hope all come to our faith in God recognizing our love for all while condemning the sin.

You were doing great until that point. "Judge not lest ye be judged". It is not your position to be doing such things. If your "God" is upset, then your "God" is fully capable of informing people as to why. Any human interjecting such things is merely a Self Righteous prick sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
You were doing great until that point. "Judge not lest ye be judged". It is not your position to be doing such things. If your "God" is upset, then your "God" is fully capable of informing people as to why. Any human interjecting such things is merely a Self Righteous prick sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong.

SanDumski, talking out of both sides of his mouth....again.

Condeming someone because it was wrong to condemn someone.

Stupid left.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005

I think you misunderstand. I am clearly not nor my Church judging any person. As I said, all are very welcome to our Church and we hope all come to our Faith in time. We are all sinners. It is to God to judge not you or I.

Romans 14:1-4 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I think you misunderstand. I am clearly not nor my Church judging any person. As I said, all are very welcome to our Church and we hope all come to our Faith in time. We are all sinners. It is to God to judge not you or I.

Romans 14:1-4 As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

Perhaps I was too harsh on you.

I have heard those words before though, "Love the Sinner, hate the Sin". All too often that means smiling to their face, while telling them what a piece of shit they are. Those doing it are perfectly at peace with it, if confronted about it, they'll hide behind the Bible, "God said it, not I". It's complete self-righteous BS.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

Well said indeed. And awesome sig.

Personally I'm always glad to see a Christian church value the teachings of the Christ over the teachings of Leviticus. I just remain baffled that it happens so seldom.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The Christian fundamentalist belief that homosexuality is evil is a form of mental illness because No Christian can prove his God exists much less what that God is supposed to think. All if it is based on a belief that a book written by bigoted men is actually the word of God. This fundamental madness leads to the monstrous evil the Church and other religions perpetrate on the world. Every fundamentalist is an egotist filled with the sickening assumption that his truth is the real truth for everybody. Everywhere you turn one of these mulling crackpots is out there trying to infect the world with his or her personal dementia.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
2573.png

Too much ?

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Well said indeed. And awesome sig.

Personally I'm always glad to see a Christian church value the teachings of the Christ over the teachings of Leviticus. I just remain baffled that it happens so seldom.

You guys are beyond clueless. Jesus followed the Mosaic Law (including Leviticus) while he was alive. He fasted, obeyed the Sabbath...the whole thing.

Secondly, dphantom's point was simple...bible doesn't support homosexuality...he was showing how it's not HIS place to judge a gay person, only God's place.

The only person worse than one that knows nothing about the Bible is a person who THINKS he knows something about the Bible.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
You guys are beyond clueless. Jesus followed the Mosaic Law (including Leviticus) while he was alive. He fasted, obeyed the Sabbath...the whole thing.

Secondly, dphantom's point was simple...bible doesn't support homosexuality...he was showing how it's not HIS place to judge a gay person, only God's place.

The only person worse than one that knows nothing about the Bible is a person who THINKS he knows something about the Bible.

Then he should leave it up to his god then.

I was going to say and stop pushing his views, but he doesn't.

Last edited:

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Then he should leave it up to his god and stop trying to push his views.

He can push them if he wants, you can push BACK if you want.

Just because you don't agree with those views or find them abhorrent doesn't at all affect his right to push them.

You need to learn what tolerance means.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Libbys have this anal-backward mindset that simply voicing your displeasure with gay marriage is tantamount to "judging" a gay person.

Disagreeing is NOT the same as judging....