The engineer and the mathematician

Qacer

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2001
A (male) Mathematician and a (male) Engineer who knew each other, had both been invited to the same party. They were standing at one corner of the room and eyeing a particularly attractive girl in the opposite corner.

'Wow, she looks pretty good,' said the Engineer. 'I think I'll go over there and try my luck.'

'Impossible, and out of the question!' said the Mathematician, who was thinking much the same but wasn't as forthright.

'And why is it impossible?' asked the Engineer belligerently.

'Because,' said the Mathematician, thinking quickly, 'In order to get to her, you will firrst have to get halfway. And then you will have to get half of the rest of the distance, and then half of that. And so on; in short, you can never get there in a finite number of moves.'

The Engineer gave a cheerful grin.

'Maybe so,' he replied, 'But in a finite number of moves, I can get as close as I need to be for all practical purposes.'

And he made his moves.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: Howard
'Twould be a poor mathematician to fall prey to such illogic.

Fool! The mathematician was using it in an attempt to confuse the engineer so that the mathematician could go after her first. Usually, attempts to confuse engineers work, especially when made by mathematicians. Even though it's a joke, I'm surprised it didn't work. :p

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
So the mathematician was trying to make the engineer's head explode by using blatant illogic! EVIL!

Mucho

Oct 20, 2001
The mathematician could have easily said: statistical speaking you have no chance with a beautiful woman.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
This thread is useless without humor.

http://www.xkcd.com/c1.html
click next until funny found, the first few are just sketches, I think around 18++ they start getting better. Also, be sure to read the alt.tags.

If you don't like my nomination, no problem but please add your alternative.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Two nerds talking about how they are gonna bag a girl that's out of their league.

Does there need to be a punchline?