The end of the Walmart Era

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
In my home town they tried to buy a tract of land to build a superwalmart right over the HEADWATERS of the local river/creek. The city said no (apparently they like clean drinking water) & was willing to give them tax breaks on this other piece of land that the town wanted redeveloped, but wal-mart only clear cuts land for their stores. They ended up trying to force their plan through the city commission, but were, thank god, rejected.

That company is just run by dick heads. I don't have anything against the business model, but the management is evil.

This made me hate this particular corporation. Some companies are just bad news.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
It just must be every Wal-Mart I've been in, but none were like some of the stores people on here describe. :confused:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: soonerproud
Originally posted by: Fritzo
Jim Cramer on Mad Money said it best: "Walmart needs an image change. I feel so poor and depressed when I walk in their stores."

This same thing happened to KMart, and look where they are now. Target is the up and coming store: decent stuff, good prices, clean cheery stores. Walmart's bad PR recently hasn't done much for their shopping base either.

The problem I have with Target is they can be quite a bit more expensive on the exact same item you can buy at Wal-Mart. Now if you want to buy clothes or furniture, Target has much better quality stuff in this department. (Why would any one buy furniture at Wal-Mart?)

Not really- Walmart has a lot of loss leaders, which are usually generic items at steep discounts. My wife shops at both, and we find batteries, soap, shampoo, toilet paper, and cleaning supplies and even certain electronics are actually quite a bit cheaper at Target. Walmart's lower prices tend to be on off brand items that do the same job (they claim).

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: clamum
It just must be every Wal-Mart I've been in, but none were like some of the stores people on here describe. :confused:

its weird. i have been in a bunch of walmarts. only one is how the OP describes it.

And they tore that one down last summer to build a new one (the orginal was pretty old).

sure they are busy but thats ok. since the one i go to is in a college town its great to go to in the summer and wonder around heh.

edit: come to think of it i have been in more Targets that are how the OP Describes (just not as busy).

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
A) Your link sucks

B) Business models can change. There isn't a lot of places left to expand domestically, which is why they've concentrated and partnered/bought out retailers in Europe and slowly starting across Asia as well.

Your whole post is just one giant uneducated rant against Walmart.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Costco > Target > Walmart

I shop exclusively at Costco now, they've done an excellent job targeting my niche market :)

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
I know that Walmart is the noisiest, ugliest, dirtiest, cheapest store in town and so when I go there (because I am such a tightass) I am never disappointed.

Wife refuses to go there. *shrug* Never bothers me that much since my expectations are so low.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: So
What makes you imagine that Wal-Mart's business model is based on expansion? And what makes you think they can't expand more? There are 2 billion people (india, china) that have virtually no Wal-Marts.

Edit: Your rant seems fundamentally flawed.

not to mention wal-mart has been pretty much a surburban based business.

if they can get into big cities (thats going to be hard. many are trying to ban them). it will open up more revenue.

but i am not sure the business model is based on expansion anyway.

Wal-Mart is all over the OKC and Dallas areas. It is located in a lot of big cities and not just the burbs. It used to be focused on small towns and the burbs, but has since moved into major metro areas all over the country.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: yowolabi
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
:thumbsup:I don't shop at Walmart either. I think your description of the store/customers/employees is fairly accurate.

It's not suprising that someone who doesn't shop at walmart has no idea what it's like inside one.

I've been in plenty of them, and none were like the OP described.

I've been in them. I just choose not to go in them anymore. Everytime I'd go there the parking was crazy, the shoppers are mostly poor/illegals/white trash, and you don't even want to get me started on what they look like around Christmas time. :roll:

There are 4 of them within 10 miles of my home and they are all the same.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
What makes you imagine that Wal-Mart's business model is based on expansion? And what makes you think they can't expand more? There are 2 billion people (india, china) that have virtually no Wal-Marts.

if they can get into big cities (thats going to be hard. many are trying to ban them). it will open up more revenue.

Wal-Mart is all over the OKC and Dallas areas. It is located in a lot of big cities and not just the burbs. It used to be focused on small towns and the burbs, but has since moved into major metro areas all over the country.

i didnt say they were not in any big city's. just not all or as much as they can. most of the times when they want to build in a big city it seems to be a fight for them.

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005

i didnt say they were not in any big city's. just not all or as much as they can. most of the times when they want to build in a big city it seems to be a fight for them.

Prime example would be New York City. Walmart tried and failed miserably.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Not really- Walmart has a lot of loss leaders, which are usually generic items at steep discounts. My wife shops at both, and we find batteries, soap, shampoo, toilet paper, and cleaning supplies and even certain electronics are actually quite a bit cheaper at Target. Walmart's lower prices tend to be on off brand items that do the same job (they claim).

I am not saying you can't find some stuff cheaper at Target. I shop for mostly name brand stuff and in most cases it is quite a bit cheaper at Wal-Mart. Produce is also cheaper at Wal-Mart and the quality of most of the produce is the same between the two. (Which is not saying much.)

I have a local grocery store I shop at here that has their own butcher and better produce. On food items, they are about the same as Wal-Mart in cost, but the meat is so much better and cheaper. On non-food items they are higher in cost so I go to Wal-Mart and Target for those.

I don't hate Wal-Mart. I prefer to buy at different places for what they do best and support more than one business in my community.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: oddyager

Prime example would be New York City. Walmart tried and failed miserably.

yeah they got spanked pretty bad.

Chicago tried to do it but the way they went about it hurt all large B&M stores. so it changed. its to the point alderman are fighting over it. seems to be doing more damage then good.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: DaWhim
I wish there is a walmart around me in NYC.

You always have Kmart. :D

I noticed every time I went to Brooklyn or Queens that I only saw Kmarts. I don't recall ever seeing a Target either. ( I am certain there are some Targets in NYC, I have never seen them.)

Wal-Mart refuses to go into NYC due to the Union laws in that area. Go upstate and they are all over the place.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Are you guys really complaining about Walmart, or the people who live in your communities? It's not like the company imports trailer trash into the area to shop at their stores. :p

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: yllus
Are you guys really complaining about Walmart, or the people who live in your communities? It's not like the company imports trailer trash into the area to shop at their stores. :p

yeah. but its the poor in town. We all know everyone on ATOT are not poor.

soonerproud

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2007
Originally posted by: yllus

What is funny is that I see a ton of people driving luxury cars or big SUV's shopping at Wal-Mart. The myth that only trailer trash shops there is a complete lie. I know millionaires that shop at Wal-Mart to save every penny they can. (You don't become a millionaire by throwing away money.)

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I don't care for the Walmart near me (164th Lynnwood, WA). Compared to Target, the store feels dirty, cramped, and overall unpleasant. I'm all for a good deal, but don't care for feeling like I'm on welfare (or should be).

cruzer

Dec 30, 2001
I read that Walmart is heavily in debt, and that each new store that opens is built using 100% borrowed money. So they need to constantly expand to pay the interest on their debt. Kind of like the USA government, which needs a constant expansion of its tax base(immigrants) in order to have operating income.

Felisity

Sep 1, 2002
I loathe this crappy organization and what it does to small business owners in a community.
Some very nice people who had small business that I grew up going to with my Mom and then shopped at later myself... were forced to pack up shop and leave their stores because Wal-Mart basically bought everything right out from under them. It's not so much that these people had to move their business, but the way Wal-Mart handled it. They were given 15 day notices to vacate and none of the people I knew could find a place to move their shop to so quickly. So they were not able to sustain or continue their once thriving small businesses.

I haven't shopped at a Wal-Mart in almost 7 years and I will never shop in one again. I hope they eventually choke, and drown. :evil: Die Wal-Mart, Die.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Jim Cramer on Mad Money said it best: "Walmart needs an image change. I feel so poor and depressed when I walk in their stores."

This same thing happened to KMart, and look where they are now. Target is the up and coming store: decent stuff, good prices, clean cheery stores. Walmart's bad PR recently hasn't done much for their shopping base either.

The problem I have with Target is they can be quite a bit more expensive on the exact same item you can buy at Wal-Mart. Now if you want to buy clothes or furniture, Target has much better quality stuff in this department. (Why would any one buy furniture at Wal-Mart?)

I buy furniture at Walmart, partly because I'm a broke-ass grad student.