The end of online fps's?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Xylitol

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2005
Originally posted by: ctark
Originally posted by: angry hampster
..or more games will start paying valve to use the steam interface.

Vac is even worse than PB. Easily hacked.

anyone can hack with vac. the thing is that you get banned later once you do hack
trust me - i know because i lent one of my steam accounts to a friend who decided to hack cause he thought he had undetectable cheats. He hacked for the day that he used it, and I got the account back cause he told me he was hacking. No one used the account after that (since I had quit CS) but when I decided to login months later, I was banned from secure servers.

VAC = kickass (I have another account that is not banned), and I'm glad that more games at turning to valve
PB = sucks and glitches (for example, it boots you out for no reason sometimes in America's Army)

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
I haven't used PB since the pre-Steam days for CS and TF but from what I remember it was never very good. There are always going to be hackers when you come across them just leave the server and find another.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
dunno about other games but for battlefield series, PB has caused a lot of instability and for some just made it really hard or even impossible to even play the game. i've seen lockups, server kicks, CTDs, and inability to even join servers due to PB.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I don't play comptetitively so I don't really care. If someone is obviously hacking and it bothers me I'll just find another server, otherwise I just go about my business of playing the game and doing the best I can.

I do not currently play any games that use Punkbuster but I fail to see how what is mentioned in the OP is going to kill online FPS gaming.

KT

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
Originally posted by: ctark
I hack in bf2 and cod4. I wish punkbuster would die.

Why? B/c you suck? You must feel like a loser having to cheat.

Honestly, I've never understood why someone would want to hack. It's much more gratifying to be accused of hacking when you're not (been happening to me recently on CoD4). Yesterday I had a 5:1 k/d ratio and was accused of wallhacking. So flattering...

clipperfixer

Mar 15, 2005
PB is worthless. It only stops n00b hackers. It has almost killed SOF2 because the updates that are supposed to be automatic don't work. Then you have to do it manually. Trying to explain that to someone that can't make a bind work is really fun. Anyway the best part of the people that hack is when you beat them, and you are not hacking. I admin on a Cod4 and Sof2 server and I can tell you that most of the time the idiots that use hacks just want to start crap. Once you kick them they come back in, then the start running their mouths, then you go to a PBBan then they come right back in. Then you get to hear what a prick you are. Then it goes to an IP ban. (not during the game, but you get to listen to the jerks anyway) Then the come back really pissed. Then a range ban and it spoils the game for I don't know how many people but they are gone. Cheaters suck and most are just little pricks with no life.
My .02

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
Originally posted by: clipperfixer
PB is worthless. It only stops n00b hackers. It has almost killed SOF2 because the updates that are supposed to be automatic don't work. Then you have to do it manually. Trying to explain that to someone that can't make a bind work is really fun. Anyway the best part of the people that hack is when you beat them, and you are not hacking. I admin on a Cod4 and Sof2 server and I can tell you that most of the time the idiots that use hacks just want to start crap. Once you kick them they come back in, then the start running their mouths, then you go to a PBBan then they come right back in. Then you get to hear what a prick you are. Then it goes to an IP ban. (not during the game, but you get to listen to the jerks anyway) Then the come back really pissed. Then a range ban and it spoils the game for I don't know how many people but they are gone. Cheaters suck and most are just little pricks with no life.
My .02

QFT. I envision the hackers being some teenager just out to grief b/c he can't grief anyone IRL at school and is the one getting griefed and picked on. I'd hate to admin a busy server that would be so dang annoying having all the non cheaters complaining to you to get rid of so and so, and when you finally get around too it they bail before it happens. What a waste of everyone's time.

bullbert

May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: astrosfan315
QFT. I envision the hackers being some teenager just out to grief b/c he can't grief anyone IRL at school and is the one getting griefed and picked on. I'd hate to admin a busy server that would be so dang annoying having all the non cheaters complaining to you to get rid of so and so, and when you finally get around too it they bail before it happens. What a waste of everyone's time.

Actually, back in the pre-2000 old'en days of online gaming, I remember having to deal with the cheaters complaining to the admins to get rid of the honest players. It was a fairly successful ploy. If you could not beat an talented player even with your cheats, get the honest player banned. Sadly, in hindsight, that ploy work more often than not.

clipperfixer

Mar 15, 2005
It still gets tried. I won't ban someone on another players say so. It does not work on our servers. But when they start their BS and if I go on to beat them I just tell them I used my admin hack on them. More often that not once they are exposed they leave. Embarassment is better than PB anymore!