The drooling masses.

epsilon

Oct 6, 2000
I am a netflix member considering switching to blockbuster because of the latter's new return program and because Netflix is trying to sue blockbuster claiming to have a patent on the business model that each company employs, a suit which which is meritless and shameful.

So while browsing blockbuster.com I am stricken by a disturbing trend which pervades their entire selection, namely, all movies, regardless of their low quality, seem to have , at the very least, 3 and one half to four stars.

Who are these people ! I often rely on the the excellent rating and recommendation system netflix offers to its members. It would appear that as a blockbuster member it would be all Gigly and Battlefield Earth for me. Frankly, I would drown in the sea of turds sent to me by this ,"look on the bright side it's got Samuel Jackson saying motherf'ing" company.

Has anyone else witnessed this phenomenon themselves, or am I to believe that Dumb and Dumberer is of the same caliber as The Usual Suspects ?

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Dumb and Dumber is one of the best of it's genre. It's not really fair to compare a hilarious comedy to an edge of your seat mystery/suspense/whatever you classify The Usual Suspects. But then some people don't like either movie. Still, I get your point, and I've noted it. My particular local paper reviewer can barely get it in the ballpark when assigning a rating. Basically if they rate it 1 or 5 stars there's a good chance their right. But anything in between you have to cross your fingers and hope for yourself. Though recently I've started relying on RottenTomatoes.com

Oct 4, 2004
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
Dumb and Dumberer is one of the best of it's genre. It's not really fair to compare a hilarious comedy to an edge of your seat mystery/suspense/whatever you classify The Usual Suspects. But then some people don't like either movie. Still, I get your point, and I've noted it. My particular local paper reviewer can barely get it in the ballpark when assigning a rating. Basically if they rate it 1 or 5 stars there's a good chance their right. But anything in between you have to cross your fingers and hope for yourself. Though recently I've started relying on RottenTomatoes.com

Dumb & Dumber is the classic with Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels.
Dumb & Dumberer is the worst movie ever made...ever.

I am guessing you never heard of the second one and were talking about the first one, a hilarious comedy no doubt.

If you were really talking about Dumb & Dumberer, God help you! :p

epsilon

Oct 6, 2000
Yes, I sometimes do glance at Netflix's ratings when presented with a list of movies. If a move has at least 3 stars I then check it out on rotten tomatoes. Seriously, rotten tomatoes kicks so much ass that if you lined up all the ass it kicked it would stretch to Jupiter and back, twice !

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Originally posted by: epsilon
I am a netflix member considering switching to blockbuster because of the latter's new return program and because Netflix is trying to sue blockbuster claiming to have a patent on the business model that each company employs, a suit which which is meritless and shameful.

So while browsing blockbuster.com I am stricken by a disturbing trend which pervades their entire selection, namely, all movies, regardless of their low quality, seem to have , at the very least, 3 and one half to four stars.

Who are these people ! I often rely on the the excellent rating and recommendation system netflix offers to its members. It would appear that as a blockbuster member it would be all Gigly and Battlefield Earth for me. Frankly, I would drown in the sea of turds sent to me by this ,"look on the bright side it's got Samuel Jackson saying motherf'ing" company.

Has anyone else witnessed this phenomenon themselves, or am I to believe that Dumb and Dumberer is of the same caliber as The Usual Suspects ?

Why do you care how random people rate movies? Even if all Blockbuster customers are idiots, it has no bearing on the service Blockbuster offers.

AbAbber2k

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Originally posted by: AbAbber2k
Dumb and Dumberer is one of the best of it's genre. It's not really fair to compare a hilarious comedy to an edge of your seat mystery/suspense/whatever you classify The Usual Suspects. But then some people don't like either movie. Still, I get your point, and I've noted it. My particular local paper reviewer can barely get it in the ballpark when assigning a rating. Basically if they rate it 1 or 5 stars there's a good chance their right. But anything in between you have to cross your fingers and hope for yourself. Though recently I've started relying on RottenTomatoes.com

Dumb & Dumber is the classic with Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels.
Dumb & Dumberer is the worst movie ever made...ever.

I am guessing you never heard of the second one and were talking about the first one, a hilarious comedy no doubt.

If you were really talking about Dumb & Dumberer, God help you! :p

Good catch. ;)

Fixed! :D