The DNC just made it mathematically impossible for Tulsi Gabbard to make the next debate, leaving Biden and Sanders one-on-one

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I’m still trying to figure out why a woman with a level of support that is statistically indistinguishable from zero should be included in a debate.
Reasons?

This moron I work with thinks she should... what a dimwit.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Why do you feel that Sanders isn't a challenger? He certainly seems disruptive to me. That doesn't even mean he's the best, just that he's more against the establishment than he is for it. And Gabbard doesn't really have that visionary spark or a unifying force; her main allure is to both a small cross-section of independents and to conservatives who say they'd support her but would just vote Trump anyway.

As it stands, if people like Mike Cernovich and Russian outlets like RT back Gabbard (and they have), that to me raises alarm bells. They want chaos, division, a candidate that serves Trump's chances rather than a return to functioning (if flawed) democracy.
For a few reasons.

One, each Democrat candidate has a signature theme:

Sanders - political revolution

Warren - Just enough political revolution to excite the progressives without scaring the centrists

Yang - economic revolution

Buttigieg - moral leadership

Klobuchar - win back the rust belt

Gabbard - an end to American foreign policy adventurism

If I were to rank the issues important to me, they would be:

1. Global warming
2. Restore the middle class
3. End military adventurism

Biden seems to placate wall street and hand out Obama member berries. I agree with Warren that he is not the candidate who can rise to this moment, I don’t care how many people weekend at bernie’s him over the finish line.

The DNC establishment delivered a strategic blow to Sanders by consolidating around Biden. The timing of the endorsements and media blitz surrounding it was a well orchestrated and coordinated effort to sway the considerable number of undecided voters.

Other candidates who never had a chance at the nomination are now all angling for cabinet positions or the VP slot, kissing the ring of the candidate I consider most capable of losing to Trump.

Gabbard stands in opposition to the lemmings.

Reactions: cirrrocco

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
For a few reasons.

One, each Democrat candidate has a signature theme:

Sanders - political revolution

Warren - Just enough political revolution to excite the progressives without scaring the centrists

Yang - economic revolution

Buttigieg - moral leadership

Klobuchar - win back the rust belt

Gabbard - an end to American foreign policy adventurism

If I were to rank the issues important to me, they would be:

1. Global warming
2. Restore the middle class
3. End military adventurism

Biden seems to placate wall street and hand out Obama member berries. I agree with Warren that he is not the candidate who can rise to this moment, I don’t care how many people weekend at bernie’s him over the finish line.

The DNC establishment delivered a strategic blow to Sanders by consolidating around Biden. The timing of the endorsements and media blitz surrounding it was a well orchestrated and coordinated effort to sway the considerable number of undecided voters.

Other candidates who never had a chance at the nomination are now all angling for cabinet positions or the VP slot, kissing the ring of the candidate I consider most capable of losing to Trump.

Gabbard stands in opposition to the lemmings.

Gabbard would never defeat Trump in the general election. It appears Gabbard is angling for a position the current administration if it wins reelection to show "bi-bartisian" support.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Whose water am I supposed to be carrying exactly?
The third way centrists you feel compelled to defend.

We can have a conversation when you choose to converse honestly. In this case, you can do that by recognizing and acknowledging the obvious fact that it was the voters who rejected Gabbard, not the DNC.
The DNC has made it quite clear which horse they’ve chosen to bet on. I hope for your sake they have enough steroid shots to get it over the finish line.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The third way centrists you feel compelled to defend.

The DNC has made it quite clear which horse they’ve chosen to bet on. I hope for your sake they have enough steroid shots to get it over the finish line.
Can't stop lying long enough to address the facts, can you?

This has nothing to do with your paranoid low-IQ conspiracy theories about the DNC, and everything to do with the fact that the voters didn't vote for Gabbard.

She lost. Get over it.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Can't stop lying long enough to address the facts, can you?

This has nothing to do with your paranoid low-IQ conspiracy theories about the DNC, and everything to do with the fact that the voters didn't vote for Gabbard.

She lost. Get over it.
Sigh

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
No need to play the victim card, man . . . as so many right wingers, closeted or out, do. It's disappointing to see you do so.

You're an educated white male in America, not some exhausted Honduran woman with a young child being turned at our southern border. You're in the fucking catbird seat, muchacho. So buck up and keep shining yourself on, you crazy diamond.

Just cut the "poor, put upon me" bullshit, k? Nobody's buying it. ;)

Wait, does that mean Honduras is a shithole country?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
No. He still has the possibility of having the most pledged delegates at the convention. He already said he'll stand aside if he doesn't.
Sanders is part of the establishment conspiracy against Bernie, ignore him and keep the faith.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I for one think Honduras is a shithole country, a place where every conservative dream has been put into action.

I would say Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungry are more conservative countries. The ones that don't like migrants, ya know?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Biden has a decent chance of beating Trump, Gabbard does not.

Personally I am entirely unconvinced Biden would achieve very much if he did beat Trump, but the reality is that politics is more than just one guy and one election...beating Trump is just one part of it, it would be a small start not the whole battle - you gotta start somewhere. I believe a Sanders victory would be a better start than a Biden one, but the reality is that the political system means that even an actual Sanders Presidency probably wouldn't achieve a huge amount on its own. Political change requires large social movements.

Also, maybe I'm misguided and in a tiny minority in feeling this, but I actually feel a tiny bit sorry for Gabbard. Seems to me that she was essentially raised in a cult, and that is directly-related how she finds herself with a strange mixture of dubious stances that have no real political constituency to appeal to.
for real effective change the Dems will have to hold on to the house and win both the senate by a sizable margin and the white house, and if things keep going the way they are there is a good chance of that happening.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I would say Poland, the Czech Republic, and Hungry are more conservative countries. The ones that don't like migrants, ya know?

Don't know about the Czech Republic (not that I've paid close attention but I wouldn't put it in the same category as the other two), but Poland and Hungary are one of the reasons why I'm only a moderate 'remainer'. The EU has big problems of its own and there are bad things happening whether the UK leaves or remains.

I also have my doubts about Lithuania.