Question The Division 2 - anyone into it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I pre-ordered it on PC to get access to the beta. ANyone else sniffing this game? The first one had so much potential hampered by a lack of content. Methinks they won't make the same mistake twice.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Same deal here, but I was already planning to buy the game, whether pre-purchase or after release day. It was part of what sweetened the deal on the RX 580 that I got it from, because it saved me $60. I enjoyed the first game, after a friend got me into it. Pretty much just a solo player, don't do incursions or legendaries because I don't want the pain of wiping with a group of complete strangers.

I was lucky enough to be invited to the technical alpha, and both the closed and open betas. My very first impression was: not much has changed. Did they use a new engine or the same one as Division 1? I didn't notice too many fps drops, but the game did feel less 'snappy', movement, animations, etc...not sure if it was my imagination or not.

Didn't like the changes to the map, and the way that lootable boxes (don't) appear now, there's crap scattered everywhere...if they were going for realism, I guess maybe it's better, but it's a time sink, in essence. It's going to lead to extra time spent wandering around to search every nook and cranny.

Definitely will be playing it for at least a few weeks, the new maps and missions seem worth doing at least. We shall see.

So....

My main character (and only character so far) is still level 9 or 10. I cannot play the game for longer than 20-30 minutes without it crashing to desktop with no errors, or occasionally throwing a BSOD as it does. Uplay says it's because the game does NOT support multi-GPU configs. They suggested I play on a single one of my dual Radeon RX580s. The game runs like crap on one card, so I haven't bothered with it in quite a while, since shortly after release. How does a new, "AAA title" not support graphics tech that is not uncommon among gamers, and has been around for more than a decade? Screw Ubisoft...lol

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Huh, it seemed to run fine on my single RX580 (in 1080P, at any rate).
But the game just doesn't seem to interest me all that much.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, I was running 1440p @ 75Hz...not that demanding but too much for a single card. I would rather not play the game than have to suffer lower resolutions and settings than I believe my hardware should be good for. I am planning to upgrade to a single card soon, I would have already done it if not awaiting Navi and the Nvidia "Super" release and price drops. It'd be silly to buy anything right now in my opinion.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I've been playing this off-and-on for awhile and I've reached WT5. Getting my gear score up is quite a hassle, though. It seems like the designers, in their infinite wisdom, decided to base the average gear level drop on the average level of the gear you're already carrying. It rolls a gear level +/- 5 (or so) vs. your carried average.

So if you run around in WT4 gear and scrap/sell everything you don't like, which could be damn near everything, you will probably never advance your gear score at all. The trick to getting better gear? Buy something 480-ish that stinks and use it to manipulate the gear drops upward a bit. Then hang on to that stuff which brings your average a bit higher . . . wash, rinse, repeat.

Instead of doing something rational, like keeping track of how long you have been in WT5 (and slowing bumping your drops upward as time goes by) or what have you, instead it just checks your inventory every time there's a drop. Stupid. What a way to mess up an otherwise-enjoyable game.