The difference between Macy's and Kohl's

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Many years ago I used to ride my bicycle to Macy's Clearance Place and pick up some pretty classy stuff cheap. I was highly selective. It was probably around a 20 mile ride one way! I was dirt poor, had no car.

OK, nowadays I do not shop Macy's. I go into Kohl's occasionally, usually armed with a coupon that came in the paper and/or one that came in the mail. I get super deals on the only shoes I trust anymore, New Balance 4E (I have wide feet!). :cool: They have sales on many models, I probably can and do get an additional discount of 20-30%. Typically, the shoes come to maybe $40 a pair after discounts. I bought 3 pairs a month or so ago and split. I used to pay close to $100/pair at a local sporting goods store for those... no longer since someone alerted me to Kohl's much better pricing for them.

I might check out pants or shirts, if I feel I need them at Kohl's.

So, I was shopping online a couple weeks ago for a large stove-top griddle, and was amazed to find a super deal at Macy's online. I avoided a $10 shipping charge by picking up at their Hilltop Mall store. A 12" griddle normally $29.99 + tax and shipping came out to <$19 total.

When I drove to the store it wasn't easy to find my purchase. They sent me up a flight and was directed to the back of the store to the Men's Dept. where I had been told you usually can get pickup of online purchases. I found a register there with a guy who acknowledged that he could get it for me. I wait 5+ minutes, he comes back with a pan dangling from the handle, there was no real packaging. He then asks me if I want to pay $0.05 for a bag. I say "no," and walk out holding the pan, dangling from the handle. I didn't dream they wouldn't give me a bag, they always do at Kohl's.

While in this Macy's (which looked pretty much like Kohl's in general from the inside), I glanced at a few things and their price tags and was staggered. For instance a golf shirt was $85. To me that's preposterous, I got mine for under $20 at Costco.

So, my impression is that the main difference is inferior service and elevated prices.

Last edited:

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think Macy's has better quality clothing and I find the service on the sales floor much better than Kohl's.

But both stores have high "regular" prices that almost nobody pays, because coupons and sales abound. I've seen stuff at Kohl's with a $60 price sticker pasted over a $35 sticker. But they are getting smarter about getting caught by using a lot of LCD price tags they can change electronically. The prices go up and down based on when the coupons/sales are in effect. Notice that when they give Kohl's Cash, the dates when you can use it never match up with sales or when you can use coupons.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Only ever go into Kohl's if I see something in their sale ad that I want to buy (usually as a gift).

No Macy's nearby, but probably wouldn't bother with them if there was. Stupid high prices, just so you can say you bought at Macy's? That was the excuse used by a guy I worked with, back when I was in the Navy. We were both dirt poor enlisted, but he insisted in shopping at Macy's. When I asked him why, he said it was because when people saw him walking through the mall, carrying a Macy's shopping bag, they thought better of him!

I told him no, they thought he was a chump for buying anything there! Told him if he was only worried about how he looked, to save the bag from his last purchase at Macy's, then go buy something similar at Penney's, for half the price, and stick it in the Macy's bag, before you walk out the door! ;)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Was that Macy's in Montgomery county Maryland? We are the only county I've ever heard with the stupid "bag tax" of five cents.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Macy's I don't shop at. But I like Kohl's. They always have coupons and with those you can get some really damn good deals there.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Macy's is definitely overpriced for the quality of clothes they sell. But walking through Kohls and looking at their clothes is depressing. The key for Macy's like Kohls is to go during sales. I shop at Macys' for clothes that I'm not that discriminate about and can get for a great price. I'd never pay full price for anything at Macy's, at most 50% off the listed price.

Dec 10, 2005
Macy's is definitely overpriced for the quality of clothes they sell. But walking through Kohls and looking at their clothes is depressing. The key for Macy's like Kohls is to go during sales. I shop at Macys' for clothes that I'm not that discriminate about and can get for a great price. I'd never pay full price for anything at Macy's, at most 50% off the listed price.

I've found it depends what you're buying. Macy's has more tiering of prices than Kohls does, in that Macys has things from the mid-low end to the very high end. When it comes to something like jeans, I've found the prices between Macy's, JCPenny's, and Kohl's to be comparable (assuming the same brand).

deadken

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
I haven't ever shopped at Kohl's. But, I do shop at Macy's. Like others have said: If you didn't get it on sale at Macy's, you paid too much. Having said that, I do shop there for clothing, bedding, and towels. I ended up getting a Macy's credit card because that often sweetens the deal by %10-%20. Sometimes the service I get is GREAT! Other times it sucks. Most times the customer service is pretty good and there is one really close to where I work. I guess it comes down to if they are convenient enough to stop in frequently.

FWIW: The Macy's near me has a pair of Maui Jim Sunglasses on clearance for $165! Those are over $300 normally and Maui Jim's don't go on sale. So, I guess I'm trying to say that there are great deals if you are lucky and look for them.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Was that Macy's in Montgomery county Maryland? We are the only county I've ever heard with the stupid "bag tax" of five cents.
Well, this one is at Hilltop Mall, in Richmond CA.
Ah, I see... the Kohl's I've been to are in Alameda County.
I haven't ever shopped at Kohl's. But, I do shop at Macy's. Like others have said: If you didn't get it on sale at Macy's, you paid too much. Having said that, I do shop there for clothing, bedding, and towels. I ended up getting a Macy's credit card because that often sweetens the deal by %10-%20. Sometimes the service I get is GREAT! Other times it sucks. Most times the customer service is pretty good and there is one really close to where I work. I guess it comes down to if they are convenient enough to stop in frequently.

FWIW: The Macy's near me has a pair of Maui Jim Sunglasses on clearance for $165! Those are over $300 normally and Maui Jim's don't go on sale. So, I guess I'm trying to say that there are great deals if you are lucky and look for them.
I did similar, getting a Kohl's credit card. They periodically send me ads in the snail mail about big discounts for using it. After using their credit card I later go online and pay the charge with one of my Visa cards.

Last edited:

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
Any store that consistently carries that Marc Antony clothing line (read Kohls) is a hard pass in my book.

Who am I kidding, I can't shop in retail stores anyhow :(

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I don't think I've ever purchased from Kohls but I do shop at Macy's every so often. As others have said, I've never paid full value (eg bought two pairs of dress shoes this weekend that were 25% off plus another 15% off and a $30 gift card. Ended up leaving with about $250 worth of shoes for around $130 or so.

I like a lot of their high end clothes (polo ralph lauren, lacoste, etc) but usually can find it for more than 50% off at TJ maxx, nordstrom rack, etc.

DaWhim

Lifer
Feb 3, 2003
the brands they carry. you aren't gonna find good selection on cosmetics in kohls.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Macy's= Brands of stuff I actually buy (like appliances) that is reasonably priced (or even deals!) when on sale

Kohls= Evil place that always pretends its on sale, but jacks up its prices so much that even if you play the coupon game you just fall back to the average. Doesn't really have brands I want, so I throw away the mailed coupons so my wife doesn't buy more overpriced pillows.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Don't buy anything at Macy's unless you have one of the 34,237 coupons that they send out each year. The prices are pretty decent with the coupon discounts, though.

If I want to spend full price, I'll go to Nordstrom and get better service.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
At Kohl's you don't start saving money until you exceed 50% off. Though based on my visit yesterday I'm now doubting any savings at the 60% mark. Also Kohl's typical by-one-get-on-at-half-off means you're paying 25% OVER full retail price, by my calculations, so walk out if that's what they offer.

Clearance racks there have been good to me. Also Kohl's Cash lets me buy overpriced stuff like underwear or Levi's that never truly goes on sale.

I spent $84 (after coupon) there yesterday in exchange for 3 shirts and 2 shorts. Only one shirt was clearance-priced - Izod @ $18.​

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
Any store that consistently carries that Marc Antony clothing line (read Kohls) is a hard pass in my book.

Who am I kidding, I can't shop in retail stores anyhow :(

Whats wrong with Marc Anthony? I got 1 of the collared shirts for work and its quite nice actually. My favorite at Kohls is APT 9 line though.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
At Kohl's you don't start saving money until you exceed 50% off. Though based on my visit yesterday I'm now doubting any savings at the 60% mark. Also Kohl's typical by-one-get-on-at-half-off means you're paying 25% OVER full retail price, by my calculations, so walk out if that's what they offer.

yup. if you aren't getting it at least 60% off you're not getting a good deal at kohl's.