The death of FPSs?

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Now that I have your attention ...

FPSs are not going away any time soon ... if they go away at all, ever. My question was more of a personal nature. I've played countless FPSs over the years but after a while they just got tedious. I still have a few installed on my system but haven't played them in a long time. I guess it is because, in one way or another they all have a lot in common ... you run around shooting enemies while jumping and sometimes picking stuff up. Yes, the theme/setting/environment may be different from game-to-game but they are really all the same.

For me the "death" of FPSs came after playing them for about 12 years. I now (almost exclusively) play RTS and tower defense games.

What about you?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
For the most part I agree, BUT I will be making one HUGE exception this November: Serious Sam 3:BFE

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
For me the "death" of FPSs came after playing them for about 12 years. I now (almost exclusively) play RTS and tower defense games.

I think this goes in line with a lot of other threads around here. Awhile back I posted a thread getting bored with gaming

Over the past few years, it seems developers are not bringing anything "new" to the table. Its the same ole thing, but nothing but different graphics and weapons - battlefield types of games, call of duty , black ops, brink, homefront,,,, are basically the same game but with different graphics.

There are some companies making different types of games - borderlands, portal, portal 2, left 4 dead, left 4 dead 2, stalker, serious sam BFE, rage, metro2033, crysis,,,,.

Instead of taking the time to make a different game and introduce something new to the community, its probably cheaper to take what has already been done, slap some new graphics on it, and call it a "new" product.

I guess the lack of support is one reason why I get aggravated with Valve software. Valve is one of the few companies that brings new ideas to the table, and then they drop support in favor of more tf2 hats.

In the past 4 or 5 years, there have been some good games come out - but you have to look for them.

If anything kills FPS games, its going to be lack of innovation. Companies are going to rubber stamp the markets to death, consumers will lose interest and move onto something else.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I would have say the opposite, that SP has the innovation and that MP is stale and dull. The last MP FPS I played was BF2, never had any motivation to play anything newer. The slight visual upgrades just weren't enough of a draw.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
There is probably going to be a distinction between First Person Shooter and a First Person Perspective. Portal, Mirrors Edge (for the most part, but there is shooting), and Amnesia are not shooters, and thats where the innovation is. RPGs like Fallout and Oblivion made first person popular for RPGs. You always shoot things in most third person games, and side scrollers, so I dont see how the camera perspective changes the category all that much. People like to shoot things.

For me it has to do with the theme. I was LTTP on L4D, and just started a month ago. Its a blast, and its pretty much just a shooter with no innovation other than AI director, which has minimal impact on the game. I got tired of the space marine shooters, got tired of the WWII shooters, and BF3 will probably be the last modern shooter I play for a bit. Personally, I feel myself gravitating away from shooters and checking out other kinds of games. I do however, I still prefer the first person perspective.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Nope. I'm expecting to put in 1000+ hours when BF3 comes out.

Multiplayer and being able to play with 10-20 friends at the same time while talking trash on Teamspeak makes every round different.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i realize for the vast majority of people, MP is where it's at, but FPS's are too fast for me. i suck at them now :(

im gettin' old!

Oct 30, 2004
Arena style FPS -- Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament -- seems to have died. On the UT side of things, Epic Games pretty much killed its UT franchise by consolizing UT3 and releasing it in a pathetically half-finished state.

blinblue

Jul 7, 2006
If you create an interesting story then I'll always come back for more. It's like saying novels are dead because they always have some main character, who talks, does some things, overcomes some obstacles, and then it's over. If the storyline is engaging then its fun to read/play. If it's a tired old storyline then it likely won't be much fun to read/play.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It's always about the story and gameplay. I agree I prefer multiplayer, but honestly, I can't stand the last couple gens of Multiplayer FPS.

These days, ping is ruler. Sure it was long ago too, but everyone was on a fairly even playing field in terms of overall ping. Now, the way games are designed, every ms counts and people with 10-15ms pings will walk all over someone with a 25ms ping(or much worse if you're like me with 70-110).

Combine that with all the realism and Army stuff and it's just not fun. I play games to escape reality, not try to reproduce it.

That being said, there are some single player FPS I really like.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
More multi player co-op's campaigns are needed

AFAIK there's only two games with that feature
L4D(2) + Borderlands

Why?

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
More multi player co-op's campaigns are needed

AFAIK there's only two games with that feature
L4D(2) + Borderlands

I think your question brings up a good point, most games focus on either multiplayer or singleplayer, and very few co-op.

Could you imagine something like fallout new vegas, or metro2033 in coop?

With todays technology, why aren't players given more options in game modes?

Take dead island for example, its coop, but there is no versus play where players can take the roll of a zombie. Why not? Why coudn't dead island offer coop, single player and versus mode? If valve can offer so many game options in the left 4 dead series, why cant other companies so the same thing?

Dead island again, l4d2 offers a survivor mode, why doesn't dead island offer something of the same?

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I think your question brings up a good point, most games focus on either multiplayer or singleplayer, and very few co-op.

Could you imagine something like fallout new vegas, or metro2033 in coop?

With todays technology, why aren't players given more options in game modes?

Take dead island for example, its coop, but there is no versus play where players can take the roll of a zombie. Why not? Why coudn't dead island offer coop, single player and versus mode? If valve can offer so many game options in the left 4 dead series, why cant other companies so the same thing?

Dead island again, l4d2 offers a survivor mode, why doesn't dead island offer something of the same?

Coop Fallout would make me froth at the mouth with pleasure.

theb144

Sep 23, 2011
omg fallout co-op why would u even say those words now i wont stop thinking about it lol

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003

You know, I honestly just wish more games had coop. I honestly think the reason a lot of my friends gave up gaming is cause it's tiring just trying to kill each other after awhile. Coop was something we really really wanted.

For Dead Island I can understand not having versus mode, but then again I don't think it would have hurt if they had it.

Aug 11, 2008
I hear ya man, I feel the same way.

Me too. I do still enjoy single player FPS games though. Just bought Fear and Fear 2 and enjoyed both of them. Have to say the second one was really consolized compared to the first though.

Part of the problem for multiplayer for me is that I am decent enough to enjoy single player but usually get my butt kicked in multiplayer. Also I dont have any friends that play multiplayer shooters, so I cannot team up with people I know.

The last shooter that I played multiplayer on was COD 4. That was because I found a server that was well run and didnt tolerate profanity or belittling other players. But to me multiplayer gets old after a while too. It is just running around and shooting people, and eventually I get tired of that and want a storyline as well.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
But to me multiplayer gets old after a while too. It is just running around and shooting people, and eventually I get tired of that and want a storyline as well.

I think that is why a lot of people get bored with gaming. To many games use the rubber stamp approach - use what has worked in the past and repeat until the player base gets burnt out.

When left 4 dead hit the market, I knew I was going to be playing that game for a long time, and then came left 4 dead 2. The team based play was a nice change from say fortress forever, tf2, team fortress classic, and even counter-strike:source.

In games like counter-strike and the call of duty series, there is teamwork, but not on the level of the l4d series.

My opinion is, games do not offer enough variety.

Lets compare some of the popular games:

l4d / l4d2:
single player
co-op
versus
scavenge
survival
realism versus
mutations

Dead island:
single player
co-op

Rage:
single player
multiplayer
coop

Fallout 3 and new vegas:
single player

Borderlands:
single player
coop
deathmatch

Metro2033:
single player

Why do games today offer such limited options on playability? And I think that is why a lot of people get bored with gaming. Its as if the developer is telling us that we "have" to play a game a certain way. After awhile, people get bored play in that manner.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
If you want a different FPS experience, go pick up Skyrim on 11-11-11 and get a bow for your character, then play in first person. It will be a whole different experience, trust me.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
I cant stand to play shooter games multiplayer. And they need to stop releasing a new Call Of Duty every 8 months as well.

Release more strategy games dammit.

MentalIlness

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2009
Now that I have your attention ...

FPSs are not going away any time soon ... if they go away at all, ever. My question was more of a personal nature. I've played countless FPSs over the years but after a while they just got tedious. I still have a few installed on my system but haven't played them in a long time. I guess it is because, in one way or another they all have a lot in common ... you run around shooting enemies while jumping and sometimes picking stuff up. Yes, the theme/setting/environment may be different from game-to-game but they are really all the same.

What about you?

Every single word in this post, I 100% agree with. Same here.

Currently playing Titan Quest. Damn sweet game.