The Danger of Supranational Superpowers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Genesys
Is this Armageddon? [in Biblical terms

thoughts?

and i dont care if its silly religion, i thought it was kind of a good read and rather interesting and coincedental.

I dunno, I'd wager that similar symbols(women riding animals) could be found in significant US locations. The problem with that site and most End-Time promoters is that they are fixated on a revived Roman Empire and that meaning the Landmass of the Roman Empire being revived. This ignores the possibility of a Roman Like empire being talked about, rather than a locality. This, as many scholars point out, also means that the US can not possibly exist when the Beast rises, as no one can oppose Him.

A lot of the EU as "revived Roman Empire" comes from Protestant agnst towards the Pope, who resides in the heart of Rome itself.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Genesys
Is this Armageddon? [in Biblical terms thoughts? and i dont care if its silly religion, i thought it was kind of a good read and rather interesting and coincedental.

Thoughts? The end of the world is nigh because the EU is using a woman on a bull as a symbol? a woman on a BULL? Somehow the author of this page sees a similarity between a bull and a "scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. ". Seen many bulls like this on the farms near you?

Furthermore, the woman in question is Europa, a Phoenician princess from Greek Mythology, and the Bull is the incarnation of Zeus. The legend in question is commonly held to be the source of the name Europe, hence the adoption of the symbol by the EU. This legend also predates the book of revelations, and Christianity itself, by somewhere between 6 to 10 centuries.

Rise of the Roman Empire? Tower of Babylon? You are right, this is just silly religion.

If you want to see signs of armageddon, I suggest you think about this; Revelations clearly warns of the coming of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, one of whom rides a black horse, and appears to the words "see thou hurt not the oil and the wine." Sound familiar? Yes, it is obviously refering to George W Bush, the ex-alcoholic who went to war over oil ;).

Yes, revelations clearly proves that George W Bush is in league with the Antichrist! The End Times are Upon Us!
Howd'you like them apples ;)

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
I must admit I would prefer Supranational powers run by elected officials than a singular militaristic hyperpower run by corporations.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Originally posted by: freegeeks
Originally posted by: Mrburns2007
what the hell are you talking about

the EU is led mostly by elected politicians

and I see nothing wrong with another "superpower" in the world
IMO the most dangerous thing today is the fact that there is only one (arrogant) superpower in the world

checks and balances keeps the world turning

Great...cause europe has such a great history of knowing how to keep the peace.
rolleye.gif

yeah,

just like the USA

rolleye.gif

We have done a better job then war ravaged europe.

our history goes back a little bit longer also

it just seems to me that the USA is getting nervous that someone can challenge them as the only superpower

I think the WHOLE world would be nervous with Europe as a superpower. We're talking about the place that basically raped the world ten times over here. Not exactly a fantastic history, especially for the rest of the world.

you do reallise that most Americans are of European descent right? do you really think we are better than them just because we crossed an ocean?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

IMO the most dangerous thing today is the fact that there is only one (arrogant) superpower in the world

checks and balances keeps the world save

The EU is no superpower, the next potential superpower is china, don't have delusions of grandeur, last I checked the rapid deployment force of the EU was still only 50,000 strong... There are two competing schools of thought on superpowers, one advocates bi/multilateralism as the most stable solution as the superpowers play off of each other, of course look at the conflict between the US and the USSR, I'd hardly call that stable, with the exception of our current administration the unilateral hegemony has been far more peaceful than periods of bi/multi spheres of power.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: DaiShan

The EU is no superpower, the next potential superpower is china, don't have delusions of grandeur, last I checked the rapid deployment force of the EU was still only 50,000 strong... There are two competing schools of thought on superpowers, one advocates bi/multilateralism as the most stable solution as the superpowers play off of each other, of course look at the conflict between the US and the USSR, I'd hardly call that stable, with the exception of our current administration the unilateral hegemony has been far more peaceful than periods of bi/multi spheres of power.

Does the EU rapid reaction force still rely on American airlift power?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

rolleye.gif

yeah,

just like the USA

rolleye.gif

our history goes back a little bit longer also

it just seems to me that the USA is getting nervous that someone can challenge them as the only superpower
Oh we are a bit nervous, but it is for china, they are expanding much faster economically and millitarily speaking than the EU. I very much doubt that the eu will turn into something similar to the USSR, instead I think it might be a little tighter form of NATO.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I haven't seen any evidence of any Organiztion across the Pond willing to "Police" the World. They seem more like Super Wusses than Super Powers. Correct me if I am wrong but the U.N., Nato and EU have been the most inept Organizations ever. Zero backbone, zero teeth.
well they only do heed the will of their member countries, and I guess not many countries to want to be considered a rouge nation and going up against their own charters and international laws

Global leadership != rogue nation. International law and treaties are all well and good, but unless there is some force (there is no international force) to enforce them they are worthless. All states are equal under the law, and all states may choose not to follow the law, unless there is some force to enforce the law the law is rather pointless wouldn't you say?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I haven't seen any evidence of any Organiztion across the Pond willing to "Police" the World. They seem more like Super Wusses than Super Powers. Correct me if I am wrong but the U.N., Nato and EU have been the most inept Organizations ever. Zero backbone, zero teeth.

NATO is inept? Last I recall NATO provided the strikes against Yugoslovia when the UN couldn't provide a force to do so...

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: sandorski
Originally posted by: Dari
It may be over the top. But europe is heading towards a democratic dictatorship unless democratic instruments are put into the EU constitution.

Maybe, but so is the US and it already has Democratic Instruments in its' Constitution. A Constitution is just a peice of paper with words on it. Many agree that the Soviet Unions Constitution was the best ever, unfortunetly it was little more than a Propoganda tool. One of the best Democracies of all time(Great Britain) doesn't even have a Constitution.

Being that you provide no way to quantify "the best democracy ever" I have a hard time taking your post seriously...

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: WinstonSmith
Originally posted by: CanOWorms

rolleye.gif

yeah,

just like the USA

rolleye.gif

major wars in the last 50 years, name em

Please... people remember things from more than just 50 years. The truth is that certain European countries have cause so much suffering in the world that what the US has done is petty in comparison. I like how Europeans like to say that everyone hates the US when most people have a greater hatred of European powers than the US.

Yeah, and how about those Sumerians?

One of the reasons the EU exists is to prevent another WWII scenario. A mutual economy and currency goes far to prevent what happened generations ago. The real root of concern is competition. We don't want any.
Quite wrong in fact. It is only recently that the EU has adopted a common security and defese policy, the original union sprang from the European community which was purely economic in nature and was designed to lend stability to european currency.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
I must admit I would prefer Supranational powers run by elected officials than a singular militaristic hyperpower run by corporations.
Great. I hope you aren't trying to make a point beyond stating your preferences, such a point would require quantification...

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

rolleye.gif

yeah,

just like the USA

rolleye.gif

Please... people remember things from more than just 50 years. The truth is that certain European countries have cause so much suffering in the world that what the US has done is petty in comparison. I like how Europeans like to say that everyone hates the US when most people have a greater hatred of European powers than the US.

One of the reasons the EU exists is to prevent another WWII scenario. A mutual economy and currency goes far to prevent what happened generations ago. The real root of concern is competition. We don't want any.
Quite wrong in fact. It is only recently that the EU has adopted a common security and defese policy, the original union sprang from the European community which was purely economic in nature and was designed to lend stability to european currency.

What language will the common defense forces speak? English or French? or something else?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

WTF are you talking about? The Eu rapid deployment force is a force that can be mobilized within 90 days to engage in millitary conflict, if you think that the rapid deployment force is even near American millitary power both technologically speaking, and in its ability to deploy you are sorely mistaken... not that I think it would come to that of course.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

rolleye.gif

yeah,

just like the USA

rolleye.gif

What language will the common defense forces speak? English or French? or something else?
Again what are you talking about? The common defense force does not exist right now it is a consortium of french and (of all people) german forces. I'll look up the real name in my notes later if necessary, can't seem to think of it right now.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

WTF are you talking about? The Eu rapid deployment force is a force that can be mobilized within 90 days to engage in millitary conflict, if you think that the rapid deployment force is even near American millitary power both technologically speaking, and in its ability to deploy you are sorely mistaken... not that I think it would come to that of course.

The EU does not have much airlift capability. In order to be rapid, they have to make some phone calls to the US.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

rolleye.gif

yeah,

just like the USA

rolleye.gif

WRONG - the EU was started to make sure that another WWII scenario wouldn't happen again. The theory was if they integrated the heavy industry (coals and steel) that another WW would be impossible. That's why the first name of that union was European Union on Coals and Steels. Later the name was changed to EEU (European Economic Union) and later into EU (European Union). Gradually the other industries were integrated.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

The EU does not have much airlift capability. In order to be rapid, they have to make some phone calls to the US.

that's why there is the Airbus program .....

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

rolleye.gif

yeah,

just like the USA

rolleye.gif

English and French

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

that's why there is the Airbus program .....

Which will not be ready for years.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

rolleye.gif

yeah,

just like the USA

rolleye.gif

English and French

Should be fun to watch the the EU common defense force communcate via a translater in the middle , while trying to be a rapid defense force.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

rolleye.gif

yeah,

just like the USA

rolleye.gif

Again what are you talking about? The common defense force does not exist right now it is a consortium of french and (of all people) german forces. I'll look up the real name in my notes later if necessary, can't seem to think of it right now.

Last week the British agreed with the Germans and the French on a common defense policy (against the will of the US). The goal is to build upon the eurocorps. It will exist within NATO BUT with it's own HQ so that it can operate independantly if necessary. More units will be added in the coming years......

I don't see why the Americans are against all this. For years they are whining that we should invest more in defense and when we actually start doing that they start whining about it. It seems to me that the US just wants lapdogs. It's OUR taxeuro. At least we should have a say in what we are doing. A common euro defense policy is going to be complimentary with NATO and benefits both Europe and the USA. It's not the goal to be a superpower in the US sense but a strong ally that is able to project power worldwide without the use of USA military capacity. We are not going to build 15 supercarriers and 5O ICMB subs. In a few years with the addition of the new British carriers and the ongoing Airbus program for airlift capacity, Europe will have the means to operate worldwide if needed

miguel

Nov 2, 2001

I don't see why the Americans are against all this. For years they are whining that we should invest more in defense and when we actually start doing that they start whining about it. It seems to me that the US just wants lapdogs. It's OUR taxeuro. At least we should have a say in what we are doing. A common euro defense policy is going to be complimentary with NATO and benefits both Europe and the USA. It's not the goal to be a superpower in the US sense but a strong ally that is able to project power worldwide without the use of USA military capacity. We are not going to build 15 supercarriers and 5O ICMB subs. In a few years with the addition of the new British carriers and the ongoing Airbus program for airlift capacity, Europe will have the means to operate worldwide if needed

I haven't seem where "Americans are against all this." Did I miss it? I for one would welcome a Euro military that would take care of their own problems and other problems around the world without requiring the assistance of the US.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001

rolleye.gif

yeah,

just like the USA

rolleye.gif

English and French

Should be fun to watch the the EU common defense force communcate via a translater in the middle , while trying to be a rapid defense force.

bullsh*t

I don't see your point. NATO is also an organization with different countries (and languages) and it also works.

you should know that most europeans know English. All Eurocorps officers are bilingual (English). Eurocorps has operational command in Kosovo and it works ...