The #*% damned media and their stupidity!!! or The sky is falling...the sky is falling!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: StormRider
Originally posted by: jahawkin
This article has a good overview of how the administration kept saying before the war that it would be easy and the Iraqis will fold and now that the war has started the admin. is less upbeat. I think most of the media bought what the admin. said before the war, so they're questioning things now that they aren't going as Richard Perle predicted.

I always thought it was stupid that we thought that the Iraqis would just fold and quit. We were preening and posing in the mirror and talking about "shock and awe" and stuff -- we were way too overconfident. Everytime I see a boxer gets overconfident, he doesn't do well in the boxing match.

History has always shown that it is never easy to invade and control another country. I think Sadam's generals fooled us into thinking they might be willing to think about surrendering if we invade.
GOOD read:
In the months preceding the war, President Bush was largely silent on the subject of the conflict's cost, duration and dangers, while key administration officials and advisers presented upbeat forecasts. Vice President Cheney, for example, predicted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's troops would "step aside" and that the conflict would be "weeks rather than months," a phrase repeated by other top officials. Others in advisory roles in the administration predicted Iraqi soldiers would "throw in the towel" and Hussein would collapse like "a house of cards" -- phrases senior administration officials often echoed in private.

Yeah, it's the "The #*% damned media and their stupidity" or just maybe our POLITICAL leaders' stupidity. :p Saddam's generals didn't fool us - Bush did.

rolleye.gif
You obviously didn't even bother to read what you just quoted.....let me point out a key sentence to you. "In the months preceding the war, President Bush was largely silent on the subject of the conflict's cost, duration and dangers, while key administration officials and advisers presented upbeat forecasts."

Tell me again how it's President Bush's fault that some in the media don't understand warfare and don't see the amazing things that the coalition troops have done so far and only concentrate on what they perceive as negative.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
shiner:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
If you can't take the heat, pack up and get the hell out of our country. Go to Canada. The whole world loves them. Wimp! Whiner! Conservative wiene !
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STFU Moonie....the last place we need your inane babbling is in a thread about a way. Why don't you go back to the discussion on the wonders of Play Dough? That's much more suited for your level....
--------
-------
I forgot Candy Ass.

And WTF is Play Dough?

shinerburke the candy ass. It kinda has a ring to it.
Keep it up moon....keep it up.

What's Play Dough? Crack open your head and see.....

jahawkin

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
Originally posted by: shinerburke
This article has a good overview of how the administration kept saying before the war that it would be easy and the Iraqis will fold and now that the war has started the admin. is less upbeat. I think most of the media bought what the admin. said before the war, so they're questioning things now that they aren't going as Richard Perle predicted.

I always thought it was stupid that we thought that the Iraqis would just fold and quit. We were preening and posing in the mirror and talking about "shock and awe" and stuff -- we were way too overconfident. Everytime I see a boxer gets overconfident, he doesn't do well in the boxing match.

History has always shown that it is never easy to invade and control another country. I think Sadam's generals fooled us into thinking they might be willing to think about surrendering if we invade.
GOOD read:
In the months preceding the war, President Bush was largely silent on the subject of the conflict's cost, duration and dangers, while key administration officials and advisers presented upbeat forecasts. Vice President Cheney, for example, predicted Iraqi President Saddam Hussein's troops would "step aside" and that the conflict would be "weeks rather than months," a phrase repeated by other top officials. Others in advisory roles in the administration predicted Iraqi soldiers would "throw in the towel" and Hussein would collapse like "a house of cards" -- phrases senior administration officials often echoed in private.

Yeah, it's the "The #*% damned media and their stupidity" or just maybe our POLITICAL leaders' stupidity. :p Saddam's generals didn't fool us - Bush did.

rolleye.gif
You obviously didn't even bother to read what you just quoted.....let me point out a key sentence to you. "In the months preceding the war, President Bush was largely silent on the subject of the conflict's cost, duration and dangers, while key administration officials and advisers presented upbeat forecasts."

LOL!! There are other political leaders besides Bush like hmmm, let's see, Cheney, Rumsfeld.
Then there's this nugget.
President Bush's aides did not forcefully present him with dissenting views from CIA and State and Defense Department officials who warned that U.S.-led forces could face stiff resistance in Iraq, according to three senior administration officials.

Bush embraced the predictions of some top administration hawks, beginning with Vice President Dick Cheney, who predicted in the weeks before the war with Iraq that Saddam Hussein's regime was brittle and that Iraqis would joyously greet coalition troops as liberators, the officials said.

The dissenting views "were not fully or energetically communicated to the president," said one top official, who like the others requested anonymity. "As a result, almost every assumption the plan's based on looks to be wrong."

Instead, Bush embraced the views of Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and other hawks, who have long advocated using force to overthrow Saddam, the official said.

Great!!! Assume the best case scenario!! If Dick and Donald believe it, it must be true!!

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

GOOD read:

rolleye.gif

LOL!! There are other political leaders besides Bush like hmmm, let's see, Cheney, Rumsfeld.
Then there's this nugget.
President Bush's aides did not forcefully present him with dissenting views from CIA and State and Defense Department officials who warned that U.S.-led forces could face stiff resistance in Iraq, according to three senior administration officials.

Bush embraced the predictions of some top administration hawks, beginning with Vice President Dick Cheney, who predicted in the weeks before the war with Iraq that Saddam Hussein's regime was brittle and that Iraqis would joyously greet coalition troops as liberators, the officials said.

The dissenting views "were not fully or energetically communicated to the president," said one top official, who like the others requested anonymity. "As a result, almost every assumption the plan's based on looks to be wrong."

Instead, Bush embraced the views of Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld and other hawks, who have long advocated using force to overthrow Saddam, the official said.

Great!!! Assume the best case scenario!! If Dick and Donald believe it, it must be true!!
I was referring to the end of what apoppin said about Bush fooling us. I want him to tell me how.

Yes there are other political leaders who said all sorts of things....so what? This is a war you know and things don't always go as planned....not being able to move the 4th through Turkey seriously hurt the original war plan. Still things are going extrememly well and to think otherwise is....well it's stupid.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

GOOD read:

rolleye.gif

Tell me again how it's President Bush's fault that some in the media don't understand warfare and don't see the amazing things that the coalition troops have done so far and only concentrate on what they perceive as negative.
Why should I bother talking to someone I don't respect and whose mind is welded shut? The others here understand what I am saying. :p

rolleye.gif

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

GOOD read:

rolleye.gif

Why should I bother talking to someone I don't respect and whose mind is welded shut? The others here understand what I am saying. :p

rolleye.gif
Oooooohhhhh you don't respect me....well now my heart is broken. Face it....the legs you are attempting to stand on are shakier than Katherine Hepburn during an earthquake.

ManSnake

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Bleep
shinerburke:

My suggestion to you if you are between the age of 18 to 25 go down to your local recruter and sign up. Dont just run your mouth, do something.

Bleep
I'm 32....back when I was in my early 20's I did try to join the USMC. Due to a heart problem they wouldn't take me. That being said....what does my not being in the military have to do with the way the reporters are twisting the news around to make it seem like we are taking a beating over there?

Dude, you don't understand! He is telling you to pack your bags and become a reporter. This way you can present the news the way it's supposed to.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: ManSnake
Originally posted by: Bleep
shinerburke:

My suggestion to you if you are between the age of 18 to 25 go down to your local recruter and sign up. Dont just run your mouth, do something.

Bleep
I'm 32....back when I was in my early 20's I did try to join the USMC. Due to a heart problem they wouldn't take me. That being said....what does my not being in the military have to do with the way the reporters are twisting the news around to make it seem like we are taking a beating over there?

Dude, you don't understand! He is telling you to pack your bags and become a reporter. This way you can present the news the way it's supposed to.
I don't think so....I'm not aware of any local recruiting offices for reporters.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Bush says nothing, either way, but his top guys openly speak of a quick and easy war. Can someone say, "insulation". It seems quite clear that they all got together and decided to sell the war as "easy", but just in case something went awry, the President said nothing. Such is politics.