The Daily Show - Better without writers?

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Anybody else like The Daily Show the way it is now - without the writers? I think it's funnier now with just Jon Stewart doing his own writing (at least I think its just him), although he's got a lot of material to pick from with all the primaries going on. They do need to axe Samatha Bee and that Jason Jones guy - they're just not funny.

tasmanian

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2006
Originally posted by: PottedMeat
Anybody else like The Daily Show the way it is now - without the writers? I think it's funnier now with just Jon Stewart doing his own writing (at least I think its just him), although he's got a lot of material to pick from with all the primaries going on. They do need to axe Samatha Bee and that Jason Jones guy - they're just not funny.

I like it better also. Its to bad the writers strike is over.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
:( I wish I still had Comedy Central.

Extended basic is another $30/month, and about all I'd want would be:
- Comedy Central
- Cartoon Network
- ......um, I don't know, SpikeTV for Star Trek reruns?

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
well I am not a huge fan of the daily show, but shows like that and conan etc etc have gotten more creative in the things they try, and a lot of the stuff is really funny because it is real.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
I think it's good, but in a different way, a lot more cursing, a LOT more stammering and pausing to fill out the time, but I think his punchlines deliver a lot more. Maybe it's because he wrote them and had the delivery in his head from the get go. The bit on Romney's campaign suspension cracked me up last night....F&$# YOU!!!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: loup garou
I think it's good, but in a different way, a lot more cursing, a LOT more stammering and pausing to fill out the time, but I think his punchlines deliver a lot more. Maybe it's because he wrote them and had the delivery in his head from the get go. The bit on Romney's campaign suspension cracked me up last night....F&$# YOU!!!

hehe ya, that was hilarious. Also seemed quite appropriate after what Romney said.

aplefka

Lifer
Feb 29, 2004
Yeah the Romney bit last night was great. I dunno about overall though. I'd say it's dropped off a little if anything. Feels more like it did 4 years ago.

Samantha Bee is definitely not as good as she used to be either, but I dunno about axing her. Unless that's new slang for having sex with her.

prism

Oct 23, 2004
Meh, they spend too much time now on single jokes and wear them thin. Still amusing, but imho definitely not up to the superlative standards TDS and TCR set pre-writer's strike.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
That whole business with Colbert, Conan, and Stewart and who gave Huckabee his bounce was incredibly stupid, but also quite hilarious. I don't know if the show is better without the writers, but it definitely feels like they're winging it as they go and that makes it more interesting.